Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:37:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690878
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Rules?  (Read 4679 times)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Fantasy Rules?
« on: February 24, 2010, 09:57:40 AM »
I've got SBH, which I like though it's a little basic at times. I'm also looking at ARES from mj12, are there any other good skirmish sets out there? I've played Mordenheim, but would like something that is open to creative abuse that includes points values so that I can try and ween my GW and FoW fanboy club mates into something else.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
Re: Fantasy Rules?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 03:54:06 PM »
Point based eh?  Have you checked out Fantasy Goalsystem?  It's based off the Supersystem rules, which are very flexible and point based.  The system lends itself well to doing Mordheim type skirmishes, and it can also be used for mass battles as well.  Plus... if you are trying to wean some blokes off GW, the Goalsystem exclusively uses D6's.   ;)

http://www.sabersedge.com/fourcolor.php

I've got SBH, which I like though it's a little basic at times. I'm also looking at ARES from mj12, are there any other good skirmish sets out there? I've played Mordenheim, but would like something that is open to creative abuse that includes points values so that I can try and ween my GW and FoW fanboy club mates into something else.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 04:25:05 PM »
I've only played mordheim but I'm kinda in a similar situation looking for a new fantasy rule set to try out and drag friends into playing.

Broadsword Adventures from Rattrap (http://www.rattrapproductions.com) is another that looks pretty good.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 07:37:40 PM »
I've never heard about FG, how does it work?

There's Unbridled Fury, which is free but I haven't tried it. The activation system looked good, until you managed to win the initiative you could only "react" to the other player's moves.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:09:40 AM »
Well here's a link to a PDF of the quick play rules.  Fantasy Goalsystem is based off of these rules, and can be used to run Fantasy games too.  I was in the midst of doing a personal rule set, Goalsystem Sword and Sorcery, when I came across the 3rd edition of the Supersystem, and GF.  Still might end up doing it, GF is closer to emulating Lord of the Rings, rather than Conan the Barbarian.

http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/pdfs/quick.pdf

I've never heard about FG, how does it work?

There's Unbridled Fury, which is free but I haven't tried it. The activation system looked good, until you managed to win the initiative you could only "react" to the other player's moves.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 09:51:27 AM »
there's also Warrior Heroes Armies & Adventurers from THW. I'm running a solo campaign at the moment:
http://javieratwar.blogspot.com/search/label/Campaign.%20Warrior%20Heroes%20Armies%20and%20Adventurers

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 11:17:53 AM »
Thanks the goalsystem might just work well, I'll take a closer look at that. Personally I'm not a fan of THW rules, or at least chainreaction and 5120, so I think I might stay a bit away from them. I also heard that Broadsword adventures does Conan type games well, but struggles abit with 'classic' fantasy races like elves, drawves, etc - is that right?

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 01:47:41 PM »
I've not actually got the Broadsword rules, but from looking at rat traps forums and game reports it is incredibly flexible.

Stat wise an average dwarf would just be the same as a human with lower dodge/agility type stats but higher defence/toughness, an elf more nimble but less able to take a hit.

I'm sure others would be able to give you, and myself, more details.
 :)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 02:26:43 PM »
yes thinking about how aliens work in Fantastic Worlds, that would be a logical way of doing it.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
It's designed around Conan-style, but as posted, eminently flexible.

For a dwarf, take the city dweller archetypes, drop the Dodge by 1 and up the Brawn by 1.

For an elf, use Barbarian, drop the brawn by 1 and up the Dodge by 1.

With just a touch of tweaking, it should work no problem.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 03:14:53 PM »
Well I have to say i love Fantastic Worlds as a rule set, so just might give it a try.
Duncan

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 03:16:44 PM »
Well I have to say i love Fantastic Worlds as a rule set, so just might give it a try.

Then you'll LOVE that it goes on sale tomorrow for half off the printed book.  :o

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 03:21:51 PM »
Then you'll LOVE that it goes on sale tomorrow for half off the printed book.  :o
:-* :-* :-*

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 02:42:59 AM »
Oooh that sounds rather tempting to me too.
 :)

Shipping will play a part but I do like buying directly from the creators of things if at all possible be it music, games, miniatures, whatever, as you know they will get the majority of the profits.

It does seem that BA is the slightly softspoken child of Rat Trap compared to the wide knowledge and fan base for .45 and FW. Then again I guess not everyone would be like me and see BA as just as compatable with the others as they are with themselves...with BA as a start I'm sure I'd eventually expand into elves with tommyguns and goblins with rayguns.
 8)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:46:29 AM by Viper »

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 02:51:40 AM »
With BA as a start I'm sure I'd eventually expand into elves with tommyguns and goblins with rayguns. 8)
In my embarrassingly considerable experience on the matter, Fantastic Worlds is a better one for that.  Trust me on this.

Though...

Hmm.

Darn you.  I need another project like I needed yet another hole in my head.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.