Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:31:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Rules?  (Read 4680 times)

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
Re: Fantasy Rules?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 06:31:57 AM »
Sorry.
 ;)

Yeah Fantastic Worlds could be used on its own for it, but if I had both books I could swing between which one that particular encounter was closer to. Scifi fantasy races, or Fantasy with weird/magic powered tech.
 :)
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline ogryn

• Librarian
  • Mercpancake
Re: Fantasy Rules?
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 04:18:34 PM »
Take a look at Reapers Warlord 2nd. It is far better the the first edition and it is streamlined.
Well worth the look. Many armies and monsters. It does not have a stat maker but there are enough monsters and troopers with heros that should cover almost anything.
There is an expansion coming that adds more races and a campaign system i think.

I am also fond of the old Bladestorm rules from ICE if you can find them floating around.(more of a pet project)
But for something more  modern i would go with Warlord.
It is about the best fantasy skirmish i have found, and i look around a lot.
I have Ares(its ok), Broadsword, not fond on THW rules at all, Mordheim is great but to heavy campaign dependent, Bladestorm, AD&D skirmishes (several versions over the years), have been looking into Fantasy goalsystem(to lazy to download), War Engine is ok(not really fantasy but works), Song of something something is to basic, simple & abstract, Lotr is good for mid sized skirmishes also(it is really easy to modify and GW players understand it well), Confrontation is also mid level(new rules are not bad), Straight up Warhammer Fantasy used as skirmsish works ok also for GW players. This is about all i can think of.
I would still fall back on Warlord for skirmish games though, it flows nicely.

I am also working on converting Iron Ivans rules to Fantasy, but not really a skirmish. Will end up as small battles with lots of troops.

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:33:38 PM by ogryn »