Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:32:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: ACW Railroad  (Read 4486 times)

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
ACW Railroad
« on: July 15, 2017, 01:48:59 PM »
Hi,

for some time, I've been collecting and scratch building stuff for my 15mm ACW railroad. It's based upon the Peter Pig train, but I've built a couple of things myself, such as a railway gun.

For more pictures, visit https://wargamingraft.wordpress.com/2017/07/15/acw-railroad-in-15mm/

Cheers,
Shandy

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
Re: ACW Railroad
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 02:52:04 PM »
Looking good!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 10:03:27 AM »
Nice to see the Peter Pig 15mm trains getting some exposure. I'm loving your railway gun. A lovely paint job on the loco too. I particularly like the bell pull wire detail! You should do a mortar car like on Buster Keaton's 'The General' :D
I've been shamelessly utilising the highly versatile ACW railway flat cars for my Russian Civil War Trans-Siberian and Trans-Caspian railways. I've added buffer beams and buffers using small domed or flat headed tacks/nails with some success and have a series of modular 'loads' rail and sleeper stacks, improvised defences and various forms of artillery and MGs.
One earlier locomotive I converted was an slab sided armour-plated version of the Wild West train.
I'm currently working on box cars, water casks, workmen's carriages and even early oil tanker wagons scratchbuilding using cut down 00 and even 009 gauge plastic kits with some success. Unfortunately the US carriage looks too ideosynchratic for me. However, there is lots of fantastic modelling scope so I'm looking forward to browsing your blog for ideas.
I've taken inspiration for my early TSR water tower from US railroad examples and my version is built around the cap from a Tamiya minispray and lots of matchsticks. I liked the look of the log counterweight mechanism so much I shamelessly copied them.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 10:26:53 AM »
I see you have a mortar car - bravo sir!. I particularly like your work crew and pump trolley. It is great fun composing these vignettes is it not?! :) I share your enthusiasm for 15mm railway based gaming.
I've added copious wood stacks to the tenders of my locos using scraps of matchsticks which looks more prototypical (though the Trans Caspian used largely oil-fired locos)
Ironclad miniatures do rather nice resin points/turnouts though the rails are prone to minor casting flaws (easily repaired with green stuff). Still they can save a shed load of fiddly modelling time. For straights and curves you are far better making up sections yourself from cut down lengths of TT gauge flexitrack. I've even used cut down 00 gauge track if you are prepared to put up with thicker rail profiles (only because my late father had a load of scrap sections). One word of caution though - ensure the track geometry works like a train set for maximum flexibility...
I made up a simple ramp loading dock (with a Wills crane/winch)
Don't forget the line side telegraph lines as well - more excellent scenarios - sabotage and repair
And little details like rudimentary buffer stops add character (apologies for the atrocious pic)