Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:26:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Men in Black  (Read 3904 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Men in Black
« on: February 24, 2010, 08:03:01 PM »
I have just finished off a small group of MiB's and they will be posted up on my blog in a few weeks.

I decided to post them up here in advance, to get some feedback from the LAF'ers but mostly because I enjoyed completing such a straightforward, small and recognisable project and wanted to talk about it :)

I have had a few Foundry figures sitting in the lead mountain for a while now.  I bought one of their deals way back in 2002 or so and while I got some of them painted, I couldnt really decide what to do with some of the others.  I recently decided to transform some of the suits into MiB, starting with Agents B & C here.

L to R: Agent B and Agent C

A quick weapon swap with a spare sci-fi weapon left over from a Reaper figure gave B the right look.  B is a pretty large figure: it seems to be a rule that in every pack of Foundry figures there is one huge guy.  He isnt so large as to be out of scale, but he is a large and imposing model, for a modern human anyway.

The rifle adds to this I think, making him more threatening.  To add to that, his eyes came out looking quite staring and intense.  I think that it suits him. B is the muscle in my small MiB force.

As another of the Foundry “Suits” Agent C needed to have her gun upgraded to a more retro 1950s looking sci-fi weapon in keeping with the movies.  In contrast with B, C is quite a petite figure.  As a result most of the sci-fi weapons that I have lying around looked pretty huge in comparison with her (GW dont really do “petite” when it comes to weapons).

I eventually settled on a Dark Eldar splinter pistol which had to be further cut down to look right.  It isnt as small as the “Noisy Cricket” that Agent J wields in the first movie, but it is as close as I am going to get in 28mm I reckon.

As the palette on the MiB figures is by necessity limited I decided to play around with the skin tones that I used for the four members a little more than I normally would. B looks quite ashen whereas C has a warmer skin tone, possibly South American?

L to R: Agent P, Agent G

Agent P's Vincent Vega type hairdo kinda gives me the giggles to be honest: P looks like he thinks that he is a lot smarter than he actually is.

P’s weapon is a GW plasma pistol, similar to G’s armament.  P's pistol comes from a Chaos space marine miniature and is designed to look like a primitive tech was used to design and build it.  I like the 1950’s style to it: it looks to me like part of a hot rod straight out of Grease or something.  And I mean that in a good way.  Its very appropriate to the MiB aesthetic I think.

Agent G is about as close as I got to making a character reminiscent of K from the MiB movies.  I used a different skin tone on K from that which used on either B C or P.  As I painted the figure using that tone G ended up looking a bit older than the figure initially suggested to me, so I played it up and made his face look a little more aged.  G is probably the crusty old veteran out of my four MiB agents.

One thing that does grate a bit is the angle that G is holding his pistol at: it doesnt really scream “old school” to me.  The fact that my grizzled old MiB soldier holds his pistol like a punk from the ‘hood is something that I am going to have to live with.  I really should have repositioned his arm/hand before I painted him.  Oh well.

Top down shot of G to show his armament off, in the gangsta stylee.

The eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed that none of my MiB are wearing shades.  While I would have liked it if one of the figures had a pair sculpted on, they didnt.  In the interests of denting the lead mountain I decided to suck it up and use these guys anyway.  The charcacters hardly ever wear shades in the actual movies anyway.  Thats my excuse and Im sticking to it...

The fifth unofficial member is Freddie...

While the paint job isnt stellar, I really should have taken a better photo: that one is pretty poor. Ho hum.

A recurring character in the MiB movies and kids cartoon is Frankie the Pug, an interstellar negotiator.  Frankie is apparently a Remoolian (from Remoolia I guess...) and according to the cartoon (which isnt “canon” I am told) Frankie looks like a green pug with antennae and three (I think) tails when not disguised as a Terran pug.

Anyway, it seems reasonable to me that more than one Remoolian negotiator may live on Earth.  It also seems reasonable that Remoolians show as much breeding variation as Terran dogs.  Crucially, I also couldnt get my hands on a 28mm pug miniature.  Mainly, I find the idea of the fifth and final member of my MiB project being a talking dog to be a gaming opportunity that would be a shame to miss.

Talking bulldogs remind me of Mr Beefy from Little Nicky anyway, and thats not a bad thing :)

Finally, I had to get some wheels for my MiB.

I picked up some multi-packs of toy cars recently, mostly because they were cheap and had a couple of Humvees in them which I plan to draft in for my Umbrella Security Service.  Also in the sets was a pair of black Lamborghinis.

Now in the first MiB movie J and K drive what is described as a “Ford P.O.S.”.  Thats Piece Of Shit in case you were wondering.  They drive a nondescript car so as not to stand out.  It appears however that by the time the sequel rolled around that this aspect of MiB policy had been relaxed as J drives a somewhat less than nondescript Mercedes throughout that movie.

In the spirit of everything in bad sequels being bigger, better (usually worse) and leet-er I figure that by the time my MiB hit the table that MiB policy has relaxed further, allowing them to drive such conspicuous vehicles.

It probably flashes neuralizer beams as it drives past anyway, just like when the Merc becomes airborne in MiB2.  Whaddya mean you cant remember MiB2?  They must have incorporated the neuralizer into the actual feature, wiping the minds of the viewers.  That would be one way to explain why it was so forgettable I suppose...

Some goofy shots "in situ" follow, mostly to show the sweet rides that I picked up for the MiB.  My modern terrain could do with an overhaul too, just to warn you guys: its not pretty but it is functional.

Agent G, Agent P and Freddie discuss extradition options with the Gargleflarkian Hive Mind

Agents B and C conduct "aggresive negotiations" with Diplomatic Envoy Flarz and his entourage.

With a squeal of tyres, MiB Agents B, C, G and P deal with an interdimensional parking violation, while a pair of talking dogs square off.

I very much enjoyed the project, even though the poxy varnish ended up being satin or semi-gloss or something.  Varnishing is always a pain in the ass.

Comments and criticisms welcomed and thanks for looking :)

Edited: for typos
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 08:26:48 PM by cheetor »

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
Re: Men in Black
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:09:38 PM »
Haha - love the K9 faceoff!  lol

Nice paint jobs and I know its not the focus of your post but tidy looking Tardis too!

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:11:34 PM »
Very nice indeed: the weapon choices work beautifully.

Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 08:14:09 PM »
Oh, why isn't there an 'applause' emoticon?

They look smashing. Well done all round, from the different painting styles to the rationale behind why each figure looks like s/he does, to the story about the dog to the fact that you've got the Doctor in there... and you've managed to reduce your lead mountain a bit (with 8-year-old figs no less :o !) into the bargain.

If I had a 'that's for making Orc smile' medal I'd pin it to your cyber-chest mate.

Offline Anpu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Life in the vault is about to change...
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:31:06 PM »
Great figures!
Where is the *bulldog* miniature from?
Edit ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:28:54 PM by Anpu »

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:11:53 PM »
Haha - love the K9 faceoff!  lol

Nice paint jobs and I know its not the focus of your post but tidy looking Tardis too!

Doctor Who isnt really my thing but the TARDIS is such an iconic and interesting vehicle that when Hasslefree started stocking a resin one I figured that it was a must buy.  Im glad that you like the paint job, its a bit more... impressionist up close ;)

Thanks for the kind words.

Very nice indeed: the weapon choices work beautifully.

Thanks!  The choices were mostly made based on what I had to hand, with a little tweaking here and there.  They turned out much better than I had hoped to be honest.  While their GW heritage is recognisable to anyone with a background in 40K, they still give that 1950s retro feel I think.

Oh, why isn't there an 'applause' emoticon?

They look smashing. Well done all round, from the different painting styles to the rationale behind why each figure looks like s/he does, to the story about the dog to the fact that you've got the Doctor in there... and you've managed to reduce your lead mountain a bit (with 8-year-old figs no less :o !) into the bargain.

If I had a 'that's for making Orc smile' medal I'd pin it to your cyber-chest mate.

lol

I enjoy reading about why people made various design decisions possibly even more than seeing what design decisions that they made.  So I tend to put them into my posts too.  Im glad that you enjoyed reading about them, but I reckon that there are as many who dont really want to know. Those people can always just look at the pictures I suppose :)

Great figures!
Where is the Pug miniature from?

Thanks!

Its not a pug (I couldnt find a 28mm pug figure), its a bulldog.

I got it from MegaMinis ebay store HERE.  If the link doesnt work then search for "Bull Dog Animals 25mm miniatures".  I buy lots of interesting bits and pieces from their weird, eclectic and low cost range and I have always had excellent service from them.  The quality of their stuff varies a lot, but for things like bulldogs, you cant go wrong :)

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 09:13:44 PM »
Heh heh.
Agent B-Alright, you're in a non-extradimensional parking zone. I'll have to cite you. What's your name.

Dr Who

Dr Who?

That's right.

What's right?

Who.

Who what?

No, just Who.

Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:23:39 PM »
Excellent - nicely painted minis, cool rationales, and putting a dent in the lead mountain to boot. Pretty good all round, I'd have said!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 06:53:20 AM »
Fantastic!  ;D

Love the use of the Foundry figures, gives the MiB's much more character.  The Doctor squaring off against them brought to mind the .... Rein of Steel Episode?  Part one of the 'death' of Rose Tyler, and the Daleks squaring off against the Cybermen.  Anyways it was this exchange between Rose and the Doctor that came to mind:

Rose: Doctor, they've got guns.
The Doctor: And I haven't. Which makes me the better person, don't you think? They can shoot me dead, but the moral high ground is mine!
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 02:56:28 PM »
These look great, and your terrain is much more comprehensive than mine.  You just need worms with coffee cups.   BTW what make were the car packs you bought?  They look awesome.
This is my boomstick!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 03:34:12 PM »

Thanks for the feedback and compliments guys :)

These look great, and your terrain is much more comprehensive than mine.  You just need worms with coffee cups.   

The worm guys with the coffee cups would be good, wouldnt they?  They are icons of the franchise really.

I have the sci-fi bar figures from MegaMinis at home and I have been eyeing up the new Zombiesmith alien "civilians" for MiB things, but I havent seen anything like the MiB worm guys. Anyone have any ideas?

BTW what make were the car packs you bought?  They look awesome.

The Lamborghinis were supplied with a matt finish.  I dont know if thats what the real ones look like (not a lot of them around where I live...) but it does help the look on the gaming table.

The manufacturer was a recognisable brand, that I cant remember right now.  I will check over the weekend and let you know who made them :)

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »
The Lamborghinis were supplied with a matt finish.  I dont know if thats what the real ones look like (not a lot of them around where I live...) but it does help the look on the gaming table.

The manufacturer was a recognisable brand, that I cant remember right now.  I will check over the weekend and let you know who made them Smiley
Lamborghinis are from BBURAGO, 1:43 range http://www.bburago.com/bburago.php?idm=10&idp=4&idc=10&idprd=0&pag=0&page=1
In fact, half of the range scaled 1:48, and so perfectly good with infinity or foundry models, wich i`m mostly using for modern-near future  wargaming  projects.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 07:04:46 PM »
Thanks Nimrod.  These look good.