Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:12:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Latest Book Read  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Latest Book Read
« on: May 17, 2007, 10:56:24 AM »
I just finished the Chinatown Death Cloud Peril. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Almost all the big names from pulp are there and it was a good read. Definitely an idea for a great pulp game, but more than that, a good way to get a feel for the people of the time.

Now, they obviously didn't have an adventure like this, but the author managed to get a lot of their background information into it and it made me want to go and dig up more.

It was also fun trying to guess who some of the characters were (not all of them use their names until the end of the book). Some use an alias to hide from their own troubles.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
Latest Book Read
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 12:40:07 PM »
I read the book and I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. It had an odd pacing to it. The first half was a bit of a lazy stroll, spending time getting to know the major players. This may sound off-putting, but as a fan of pulp I enjoyed learning what I could about the authors.

The plot itself, you don't really catch a good whiff of it until you are 130 pages in, and then it went a completely different direction than I expected. The author throws more pulp authors at you than you can shoot with a pair of nickel plated 45s, and while it feels a bit forced, in the end you roll with it and enjoy trying to figure out who the new guy is.

The final 100 pages are a blast. Each of the authors get a shining moment and things wrap up nicely, and the author does a nice job making villainous deaths graphic enough to make the original pulp authors blush with pride.

Marc
Fantastic Worlds: Pulp Action in the Far Reaches of Space
http://oddmanproductions.com