Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:32:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ambush Alley rules  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
Ambush Alley rules
« on: July 02, 2010, 12:27:30 PM »
Hiya hope this is the right area for this

Does anyone here use Ambush Alley rules and if so what do you think of them ??

I'm looking at getting the core rules and 1 or 2 others but thought I'd ask around first.

Thanks
Brad
the early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese

Offline mattspooner

• Assistant
    • Too Much Unpainted Lead
Re: Ambush Alley rules
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 01:34:58 PM »
I thorougly recommend them, they are superb at representing assymetrical warfare and are fun to play as either regular or insurgents.

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 02:00:45 PM »
cool, thanks. Do you just use the core rules or force on force etc?

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 02:22:27 PM »
Never played them, but Osprey have just taken them on and there will be a major reprint soon.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 02:58:16 PM »
One of the players at my former club in England is a British Army veteran of Basra and he rates them very highly for authenticity.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Baldrick

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 03:37:51 PM »
I've played them several times and find that they produce a very tense and enjoyable game.  Each side has its own unique challenges due to the asymmetrical nature of the game.  The regulars are better trained and can do more, but they are outnumbered and need to be very careful in achieving the objectives.  Tactics are rewarded, and if the regular forces think that they are supermen who can charged into a firefight without a plan, they will pay a heavy price.  The insurgents have the weight of numbers, but they will find themselves reacting to the regulars frequently.  The key to success is to be able to bring the numbers to bear and not let your forces get shot away in piece meal efforts to achieve your objectives.

The game can also be played solo.
I have a cunning plan... as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 03:45:28 PM »
Here's the quote:

22 April 2010
Ambush Alley Games & Osprey Publishing Partnership!
I am pleased to announce that Ambush Alley Games has entered into a publishing agreement with Osprey Publishing to release an updated, omnibus edition of our core modern rule books in 2011. The combined edition will be entitled Force on Force and will contain all the rules necessary to play Ambush Alley and Force on Force style games!

In addition to the new edition of the Force on Force core rule-book, Ambush Alley Games and Osprey will be releasing new companion books containing scenarios, special rules, and organizations for several specific modern military operations.

I’m very excited about this collaboration, because I believe it will bring you the best that both companies have to offer. You’ll be receiving the same exciting content that we’ve been providing since 2007 and, thanks to Osprey, it will be presented in an even higher quality and more affordable format!

SOG members should be excited to hear that Osprey will continue to honor their 15% discount on all AAG rule-books and companion books they publish. It gets better, though! Osprey will extend that same 15% discount to all their publications and the discount will be applied in addition to any sales or discounts offered by Osprey!

This is a big step in our development as a company and we hope you’re all as excited about it as we are. Rest assured that you’ll continue to see the same level of customer service and responsiveness you’ve received from us in the past – in fact, we’re working on some projects that will actually make us even more accessible and allow us to provide more effective customer support, including enhanced convention and SOG support.

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 04:30:21 PM »
Ambush Alley works well for insurgent v. regular when talking about insurgents ala Somalia, Iraq now etc. If you want more regular v. regular (Gulf War) or regular versus Insurgents ala Afghanistan where they act more like regulars then get Force on Force.

Rich J
Rich J

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 09:53:55 PM »
thanks for the comments, looks like I'll be grabbing a set  :)

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 10:53:58 PM »
It's probably worth mentioning that the new hardcopy will contain all the rules for both Ambush Alley and Force on Force-level games.

Around the office, it's getting increasingly popular – we played a couple of AA games last week, using the random 15mm figures we had around (GZG UNSC light infantry versus hordes of FOW Soviets), and the same scenario threw up really different results – in the first game, my troops advanced and took the objective quickly, but then got torn apart by insurgent fire. I lost all my men bar one, who escaped off the table with the two VIP targets. The second game, with the same scenario, saw a much more cautious approach, taking out the insurgent hotspots before going for the objective.

VERY tactical game, really good fun. I've just started on a 2x2 Brazilian favela board, over which I hope my BOPE response teams and gangsters will clash. Also some Cold War-era special forces are in the works (to give me an excuse to paint both Lebanese militia and Central American insurgents, really...).
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline itchy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 11:08:57 PM »
excelllent rules we use them in our fund raising games for the royal british legion and we've had a great response especially from service men ,nothing but praise for all the rules and add on's

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 01:06:39 AM »
these are sounding better and better all the time :-)

What 28's are you lads using with these?? At the mo I have some Eureka Aussies, one 113, some terrorists and 80's style soviets. Will get a lot more figures plus some more vechiles after I picked up the rules.