Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:31:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Around The World In 80 Days  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Around The World In 80 Days
« on: March 08, 2010, 12:21:29 AM »
The David Niven, Cantiflas (Love HIM!) movie.   Does it inspire you, VSF wise?

That, "5 weeks in a Balloon", "Mysterious Island" and 20 Thousand leagues (the REAL version, with Mason, Lorre, and Douglas) have been my favorite movies, and books, since I was in second grade.

I just love them.  I traded, temporarly, "Trinity" (The Spaghetti Western", South Park Season One (they never saw any episodes) and "Holy Grail" to the old folks (in their 80's) next door, for a few nights usage of Mysterious Island, "First Spaceship to the Moon" (The Victorian "Moon calf" movie) and the great "Around the World". 

I might just add some VSF into my colonial Darkest Africa game terrain, if I enjoy the movies like I think I will, and have, years ago when I last saw them.

What do y'all think of such movies?  Like, dislike, indifferent?

What other movies inspire the VSF crowd?  I notice VSF is very 15-18mm freindly, so I might just incorporate some of the love in my new 15mm world.

Thanks
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Around The World In 80 Days
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:55:58 AM »
Considering Jules Verne movie adaptations, it's a bit hit and miss, but the older ones are generally rather nice.

The Fleischer "20.000 Leagues" is obviously one of the best, if not THE best VSF movie ever.

The Niven "80 Days" is an excellent movie (that bullfighting scene is great). I prefer the 3-episode miniseries starring Pierce Brosnan and Eric Idle, myself, but the old movie is great.

Another excellent Verne movie, however rather difficult to find, is "Vynález zkázy" (The Invention of Doom), a Czech adaptation of various Verne topoi. Baffling visuals - pretty much a 19th century engraving come to life.

As the years go on, Verne adaptations get worse. The "Journey to the Center of the World" starring James Mason is decent, if a bit "shoestring" in the effects department; nevertheless, it's one of my childhood favourites and I own it on DVD.

There is a "Robur" movie starring Vincent Price and Charles Bronson. Not one of the best, but good fun.  The "Mysterious Island" with Omar Sharif is okay. Nice interior shots of the Nautilus. Not as good as the Fleischer one, though.

I recently watched "The Castaways" (an adaptation of "The Children of Captain Grant"). A Disney 1960s live-action movie if I ever saw one. A very, very strange plot (even for Verne), and Maurice Chevalier is... well, strange.

During the 1970s, there was a number of Spanish co-produced movies that are just atrocious. Especially the one starring Kenneth More als Prof. Lidenbrock. Can't believe I wasted 2,4975 Euros on that one. Almost as bad is the one with Peter Cushing (cannot remember the name right now).

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 01:29:04 AM »
Nice reply, I forgot about "Journey.."

The mysterious Island I borrowed has Herbot Lom as Nemo

Yeah, the remakes of 20,000 leagues suck.  (It's the actors, and the giant squid I tell you!  And the nautilus!  Disney rocked that one out of the park)

Peter Cushing, Spanish made?  Not "Horror Express", I hope?  I love that "The Thing, on a Train" production (with Christopher Lee and Telly Savales)

I remember that Disney movie.  Also loved the Disney "Treasure of Matecumbe" (a Flolrida Keys Victorian adventure)

I also forgot "Master of the Universe" (thats Burroughs, right?  Charles Bronson in a zeppelin?)

I won't tell  any personal tales here, but I will say that Cantiflas was one of the funniest, kindest, nicest dudes ever.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:02:12 AM by Smokeyrone »

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 03:08:28 AM »
I too get inspired by the movie & TV adaptations of the Jules Verne novels. I have several of the movies mentioned and watch them frequently. I also have the Jakie Chan version of 'Around the World In 80 Days'. I know it takes a lot of liberties with the original story, but it does create some great twists that I think make for fun play. I know some of the versions are pretty bad, but even the worst usually has something to inspire. I have some of the movies made with Doug MacClure too.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 03:53:21 AM »
I too get inspired by the movie & TV adaptations of the Jules Verne novels. I have several of the movies mentioned and watch them frequently. I also have the Jakie Chan version of 'Around the World In 80 Days'. I know it takes a lot of liberties with the original story, but it does create some great twists that I think make for fun play. I know some of the versions are pretty bad, but even the worst usually has something to inspire. I have some of the movies made with Doug MacClure too.

LOL!  I remember seeing People and Land That Time Forgot at the movie theatre as a child.  Great stuff.  THATS what the Sci Fi network needs to be showing.

If you like Clive Cussler, "The Navigator" has a great Jules Verne
side story.  Can't even mention any part of it, or I spoil the novel, but it's good.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:56:55 AM by Smokeyrone »