Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:19:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686653
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Atlanteans in Hythoria Marshal Their Forces  (Read 3980 times)

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
Atlanteans in Hythoria Marshal Their Forces
« on: March 03, 2010, 08:37:59 PM »
In addition to the Temple Guards, I took the time to go thru endless boxes and have rushed the Atlantean Troops discovered to the training field for a group shot:

http://armoredink.blogspot.com/2010/03/atlanteans-marshal-their-forces.html

Ill try to update soon with a shot of the Unpainted forces that are about to go thru a Paint day... or 2.

All figures are from the Petal Throne line from back... uh... years and years ago :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:01:49 PM by Alfrik »
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: Atlanteans in Hythoria Marshal Their Forces
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 08:51:08 PM »
Oh, Alfrik, they're excellent! Great for the city militia and elements of the Temple Guard too.

Slingers in kilts as well, I've been on about slingers in kilts almost since the first day; but no-one's provided any yet. 'My research' (  ;) ) says that about 10 or 20% of Atlantean city militia are slingers (in kilts...), along with bow-armed and spear-armed troops.

There does seem to be a unit at the back somewhere who are still waiting for the quatermaster to issue their javelins though... I imagine something like: "Right! Some great eejit forgot to requesition the javelins, until they arrive I want you all to pretend that ... wait for it... pretend that you 'ave a javelin, and shout 'one, two, throw, four, five, six, splat!'. And let me tell you orrible lot right now, the bearded white man's thunderstick has no stopping power against the kilt!"

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 09:23:36 PM »
Good to see the monstrous hordes didn't get them out there in Shedland. These have always been some of my absolute favorite mini's.

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 10:44:45 PM »
Unpainted Atlaneteans outnumber the painted ones... going to get that head count done and start in a couple hours to see how many more I can get done before the weekend.

Counted them up just a bit ago:

Painted Bow       6       Painted Slingers     12            Painted Infantry   84
Unpainted Bow  42      Unpainted Slings     12           Unpainted Infantry 86

(Misc 8 Ahogga, 12 Pachi-le, 2 old style Shen I think they are.) Figuring that Infantry units will be 24 strong to have a chance to come to blows after couple rounds of rifle fire.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:03:42 AM by Alfrik »

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 12:04:54 AM »
"Empire of the Petal Throne", man does that take me back (close to 40 years) one of the early games I tried-complex and strange if memory serves me correctly

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:26:31 AM »
Yes I too have a bunch of them colecting dust somewhere. Both painted & unpainted. Hey Red Orc do you have anybody signed up for the campaign in the Seattle/Tacoma area? I think I could provide a reasonable Atlantean force.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +95

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 11:47:40 AM »
Eureka miniatures make a armies and enemies of the petal throne range that I thought would be perfect for high atlanteans.

I have never seen those minis before, quite unusual.

Cheers

Fuzzy
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 01:24:51 PM »
... Hey Red Orc do you have anybody signed up for the campaign in the Seattle/Tacoma area? I think I could provide a reasonable Atlantean force.

I'm not sure I do to be honest HerbyF, Alfrik and Skrapwelder are in California and I think that's as close to you as anyone involved in the campaign... and I realise that's a really long way, like me going 'is anyone near me?' and someone saying 'yeah, there's some guys in Madrid...'.

Is there no-one else you can persude to join you for a couple games? If you can find any ruleset that you like using, that will balance a 'horde' of lightly armed and armoured troops against something a bit more modern, then you can at the very least fight a two-army series of battles (that's a campaign, right?) between some moderns invading Atlantis and some defenders.

Some possible matchups would be perhaps use ACW troops against Atlanteans,  but with the profiles of British v Zulus in the Zulu wars; or perhaps the American/Indian Wars of the late C19th would work as a basis. I'd think most rules for the period should have a way of pitting a small 'techy' army against 'natives'.

Have a think - I'm sure there are possibilities I won't be able to consider that you could use - and get back to me if it seems do-able. I'm only a PM away... and you were one of the people that was definitely up for the campaign back in the Autumn, so it would be good to have you on board.

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 02:49:10 PM »
Yes I too have a bunch of them colecting dust somewhere. Both painted & unpainted. Hey Red Orc do you have anybody signed up for the campaign in the Seattle/Tacoma area? I think I could provide a reasonable Atlantean force.

I believe that fine fellow Sinewgrab is in the Portland, OR area. A bit closer than Sacramento.

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »
When Atlanteans was first mooted for the campaign my first thought was Petal Throne would do the trick, I would love to do a force in them , the ones you have are quite rare of course but the Eureka range has some interesting looking figures in it , I wonder how they match up with the old range scale wise?. Sadly I dont think I can allocate the time or finance for it but you have over 200 so a nice size force. Dont forget get to post plenty of pics as you progress.

Mors

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 04:11:55 PM »
Checked stock of the enamel red paint that I used for the laqured armor..... well its off to the hobby shop today as what I have is not paint anylonger.. heh, go figure that I still had the paint bottle from 1977.... lol

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 05:24:41 PM »
Ok here's what is in the painting pipe line:

needless to say, just a bit of work ahead...

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 05:56:17 PM »
Checked stock of the enamel red paint that I used for the laqured armor..... well its off to the hobby shop today as what I have is not paint anylonger.. heh, go figure that I still had the paint bottle from 1977.... lol
I know what you mean all those old bottle of paint hanging around, but wait they got old but we surely didn't- go figure.