Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:44:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Highlanders  (Read 4367 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Highlanders & Wolseley helmet
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 09:10:34 PM »
Hmm...

<If you weren't so dead set against converting another option would be to buy some Woodbine Wolseley helmet heads (they are available separately) and swap 'em on. It's dead easy.>

You know, you could treat these like sombreros.  Wait for it...   If I want to put a sombrero on a figure with a 'non-sombrero-hat' first I grind down the hat/head flat to the hat line.  Then I find a figure with a nice sombrero and make a drop mould in silicone, or just press the sombrero into some sulfer free clay.  The hat has no undercuts, so I can then cast it up with just about anything (fiber glass resin, nonexpanding urethane, etc.) that I drip into the press mould.  Seems to me that a Wolseley helmet would be the same, as would a W.W.I tin hat.  Just cast up a few, sand them, and glue them onto the (flat) head of the prepared figure.  Ought to work the same....

...which is in fact what I will be doing. Paul Hicks (musketeer) sculpts faces which area notch more individual and well defined than what Soapy does.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Highlanders & Wolseley helmet
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 10:41:08 PM »
Hmm...

<If you weren't so dead set against converting another option would be to buy some Woodbine Wolseley helmet heads (they are available separately) and swap 'em on. It's dead easy.>

You know, you could treat these like sombreros.  Wait for it...   If I want to put a sombrero on a figure with a 'non-sombrero-hat' first I grind down the hat/head flat to the hat line.  Then I find a figure with a nice sombrero and make a drop mould in silicone, or just press the sombrero into some sulfer free clay.  The hat has no undercuts, so I can then cast it up with just about anything (fiber glass resin, nonexpanding urethane, etc.) that I drip into the press mould.  Seems to me that a Wolseley helmet would be the same, as would a W.W.I tin hat.  Just cast up a few, sand them, and glue them onto the (flat) head of the prepared figure.  Ought to work the same....

Sounds like a script treatment from Saw VII.....I'll stick with the full heads on bit.  Musketeer miniature highlanders are lovely, but tiny next to my figures.
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
Re: Highlanders
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 11:59:07 PM »
I always thought Paul Hicks and Soapy were one and the same person, I could be wrong of course.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 07:04:24 AM »
I always thought Paul Hicks and Soapy were one and the same person, I could be wrong of course.

I am not personally acquainted with the esteemed gentlemen, but surely they are not...? At least they have different usernames here. And Paul Hicks is the extremely prolific one while Soapy is the one plagued by sculptors block.

Offline Brigadier Linn

• Student
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 07:32:57 PM »
I don't think the Musketeer highlanders are too small- many of us from the uttermost west of Scotland are on the diminutive side, so I painted mine as Argylls!

It does not pay to be too definite about British equipment- I have a photo of my great uncle taken in 1915 (7th Royal Scots). He and his mates are equipped with brand new tin hats, but with leather Slade Wallace equipment, and what looks like Lee Metford rifles. The photo is supposedly taken in France.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 10:31:47 PM »
I don't think the Musketeer highlanders are too small- many of us from the uttermost west of Scotland are on the diminutive side, so I painted mine as Argylls!

It does not pay to be too definite about British equipment- I have a photo of my great uncle taken in 1915 (7th Royal Scots). He and his mates are equipped with brand new tin hats, but with leather Slade Wallace equipment, and what looks like Lee Metford rifles. The photo is supposedly taken in France.

You told me in York they were too small, even for Argylls!