Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:46:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help with British paras weapons  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Tsune

• Scientist
Help with British paras weapons
« on: March 04, 2010, 06:25:42 PM »
Hi,

Could someone enlight and help me to identify the weapons that are carrying the minitures from the Artizan's "British Airborne Characters" pack? In particular the first one (an sten o thompson?) and the last one (LMG or antitank weapon?).

You can view a picture of the pack here: http://www.artizandesigns.com/prod.php?prod=1433

I am new in this period and have little or not idea about the weapons... and I am building a force to play skirmish games.

Also, do you know a manufacturer that makes a "Boys AT" miniature and gun in 28mm?

Thank you!

Offline Mainly28s

• Scientist
  • Granddad, 28/8/1944
    • The 28mm review site
Re: Help with British paras weapons
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 06:32:22 PM »
They appear to be using captured weapons. The left figure is holding an MP40 submachinegun, while the one on the right has an MG42 machinegun.

Unfortunately I have no idea about who makes a Boys anti-tank rifle (they were relegated to reserves before 1943, which is about when my interest really kicks in).
Olaf Meys
admin at Mainly28s.com
also known as le Comte du Flandre and Immelmann

http://mainly28s.com

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 06:49:37 PM »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 07:35:44 PM »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 09:26:51 PM »
They are carrying captured weapons, an MP40 and MG-42 by the looks of it. Boyes AT rifles would not have been an item of kit regularly used by late war Bristih partroopers are they had been taken out of service by then. If you are looking for man portable AT weapons fof your paras, the it's PIATS you want.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Tsune

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 10:23:44 PM »
Thank you very much!

We have taken the Skirmish Campaigns scenario book 'Red Devils of the Orne' as a starting point and as a guide to built our forces, and in some of the scenarios the British troops use captured weapons, so that's perfect! (and even one MG42!)

For the same reason I was asking about the Boys AT gun, as in the first scenario one of the British carry one. I searched in the web what was a Boys AT (that's my ignorance about the weapons used), found it, but nothing about not being used in 1944. I do not know how historically accurate it is to have one in the campaign, but probably it is easy to replace it with a PIAT team.

Thank you very much, you have been very helpful!  :)

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 07:37:15 AM »
I have a prone firing & a standing/marching 28mm Boyes ATR figure in desert gear, I think they are BTD but can't see them on their site ATM. A word of caution in that their service is abominable to say the least. Snails are quicker than BTD.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 04:00:42 PM »
As it was a heavy and largely useless piece of kit use of the Boys by 1944 would have been most atypical.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 08:33:46 PM »
I'll rely on one of you gents to correct me, but didn't the Boys see some service as a sniper's weapon after its supposed withdrawal from general use?

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 09:45:36 PM »

… now that could be plausible. I’ve read somewhere that Vasily Zaytsev did some test to use a AT rifle as a sniper weapon… the results weren’t conclusive mind you.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 10:32:04 PM »
I'll rely on one of you gents to correct me, but didn't the Boys see some service as a sniper's weapon after its supposed withdrawal from general use?

I think that story/theory tends to be a projection on the basis of contemporary use of big .50 cal plus weapons in this role. Not to say it didn't happen from time to time but not in any widespread, doctrinal or official view. I did know a chap whose uncle  was in the Aust 7th Div and claimed to have used his in Syria to take potshots at the Vichy French on an adjoining hill. Of course, soldiers will do anything when bored. I have heard of reports of North Koreans and Chinese using their PTRD and PTRS AT rifles to 'snipe' with in Korea. Well given the rarity of actual armoured targets and the likely effect being virtually zero, in the event of hitting one, you can see it might be one way of losing the heavy ammo. Of course the Rssian 14.5mm round was a much better ballistic prospect. So good it was used as the basis of a series of heavy MGs and AAMG.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 08:27:29 AM »
I think it's likely that the story does originate as an urban myth from the time the Barratt and chums were adopted.

Personally I'd be put off using it due to the recoil, the Aussies nicknamed it 'Charlie the bastard' for a reason. Wikipedia mentions a shortened version issued to airborne troops in Tunisia in 1942, but that it was quickly dropped. Apparently it was even less effective than the original, due to the reduced barrel length.