Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:52:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Darkest Africa Scratchbuilds  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Darkest Africa Scratchbuilds
« on: March 07, 2010, 04:33:20 AM »

Okay, here's my Darkest Africa   buildings:

Note:  my skilz in photography are lacking, I swear these buildings are mostly tan, not grey as they appear   ;)

(all in 15mm)  Note:  I have an expensive camera, but I think I accidently bought the "Salvador Dali Optional Fun Pack", because the buildings look more rounded, and 4th dimensional than in real life????

My colonial depot/storge house/  quatermasters 

My Lts. House (pay no attention to the primative roof, the real, thatched roof is drying as we speak!)

My "wharf" building #1   Don't know where this fits in (it was an exercise in scribing wood planks on foamboard, it works alright for 15mm)

This is a generic factory, maybe on the coast, will work for Asia or anywhere, I hope.  The roof ain't done, and I need to fill in grout/morter 'tween the blocks, and figure out once and for all what color said blocks will be

A living area for who knows?  Again, thatched roofs are drying:

Adobe houses, you can never have enough, right? (Maleluca seed chimnneys/roof lift off handles)

Native huts  (roof exclusionary rule in effect, I think these might be my best thatched roofs, when they are finished, that is)   The groundwork is still ready to recieve final coloring, once I get to making tiles for DA and know the exact shades I will use.

A kinda Sudanese Hut  (I like how this turned out.  Need to repaint the blanket, originally it was an orange and green Canes quilt but it got painted over by the groundwork  :D     Thatched roof awaitin'.)

Just some messin' around here.  A well, and a large camp fire  The clay pottery comes straight off the mighty Malaluca Tree, and the fierce Mumbo Jumbo tree (My Mom claims that it is called that, I Googled it and found nothing, and have never seen or heard of no "Mumbo Jumbo" tree,   before, in Central, South, North America, Europe, Africa or Asia (the only places I have been).  A few LAF members should have or will get their packages of these wonder seeds any day.    :D

The Boer homestead, or some poor colonial farmer/rancher's humble  abode.  The residents are sure to be put in a lot of jeopardy, as a game objective (rescue Piet Uys the Second, or something), I just have a feelin'.    :D

Last, "Jakot's Home"    This is, I think, my interpretation of an interpreter/ex con/ex slave/scout/whatever's humble abode, just on the outskirts of colonial settlement.  Not a Kraal, because this is Darkest Africa, not Zulu Wars, but an adobe structure (frankly, it came out too "rounded" looking, and the building was discarded into a futures box back in my Khartoum building days, and rescued for a DA version of Natal's infamous "Jakot")

(I like  this one, so far)

Anyhoo, that is my Darkest Africa buildings in 15mm to date.  Hope you enjoyed it, and feel free to ask any question, give advice, criticize, or whatever! 

Smokey H. Rone, and the "H" stands for "Hell Bent On Darkest Africa in 15mm"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:20:24 PM by Smokeyrone »
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: Darkest Africa Scratchbuilds
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 11:47:14 AM »
nice stuff, Smokey, especially like the Jakot's Home "diorama" and Sudanese Hut, are these high roofs authentical?

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:42:21 PM »
Looking good Smokey

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 03:34:55 PM »
Well, Prof, "authentic" in that I saw them in the movie "Khartoum",   ;)

No, they were pretty tall, most of the pics I've seen indicate this, but mine is perhaps a bit taller,   it was expedient and temporary. 

These were thin circle huts, with a multi layered thatch that was rocket shaped at the tip.

The tatch work didn't come out too good for the sudanese hut, just too big for scale in 15mm, in something that thin in diameter.   But I discovered something.  If I make several, paper "cones", spackle the bottom ring and sculpt, then stack another on and repeat, I get the layered look of tatch that should work at least for gaming (and that no doubt most of you could sculpt without resorting to my trickery  :) ).

Thanks guys.  (Those Mumbo Jumbo and maleluca seeds look alright, eh?     They save time and money, and allow me plenty of pottery to spread sround)

Two other things.  I wanted some exotic "African" looking doors on the adobe buildings, so I spackled plastic knitting mesh, and on the underside, the spackle juts out in a round shape, that looks like carved hardwood, or mud sculpted design over wood (at least in real life, maybe not in my bad photos ;)  )

At Jakot's home, I   left a scratchbuilt "Car Door"  sheild   on the ground.
That is a tribute to Plynkes (remember his photos of Ngoni warriors holding Buick door sheilds?)    See it?  LOL!    ;)   I like you, Plynkes!  :)

I forgot, Piet Uys's Farm shed

I need to take better pictures, or work in bigger scale.  Hard to see, but Jakot's home also features a grass weaved "curtain" in the front doorway.  The miracles of rolled up and shredded drywall tape.  That stuff is worth it's weight in lead to the scratchbuilder!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:02:17 PM by Smokeyrone »

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 12:02:12 AM »
Very nice indeed!

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 03:43:20 AM »
Why thank you, Professor! 

I figured out what that eliptical shadow at the forefront of every pic, on the cork base is.  My Canes hat I was wearing.  D'oh!

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 09:18:02 AM »
Very nice work!

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 03:21:35 PM »
They look old, lived in, and teetering on the verge of collapse.

So in terms of atmosphere and 'feel' they are spot-on. Would love to see 'em in wider scenic setting, with a bit of scrub vegetation and a few mangey goats.

Well, when you start your modelling career with 1/35 T-34s, everything after has to be muddy, dirty, rusty and shot up.   :D

Thanks, bezzo. It's actually getting warm outside, and I will be able to finallym build nterrain boards, and move my workbench out of my office (no more posting with one hand, while painting with the other, so my future threads my get a bit sensical and duller  ;))