Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:27:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691047
  • Total Topics: 118365
  • Online Today: 809
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My BPRD (Added Ben Daimyo 03/25)  (Read 7732 times)

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
My BPRD (Added Ben Daimyo 03/25)
« on: March 09, 2010, 01:01:45 PM »
People seemed to enjoy my repainted Heroclix BPRD figures from round two of the current LPL, so now that round two is well and truly over, here are some individual shots of the figures:

The team:

Hellboy:

Abe:

Liz:

Roger:

Johann:

Hellboy Closeup:

Abe Closeup:

Liz Closeup:

These were my first time working with Heroclix (apart from a still unfinished Adam Warlock figure that I have lying around) and for the most part they weren't any different from working on any other figure. The biggest issue that I had was in cleaning them up. Because their basic substance is so soft, you can't file them at all (they just shred), so to remove mold lines you have to carefully slice the offending area away and that gets tricky.

The biggest concerns I had in doing these were Liz's flames, the freehand design on Abe's head, and Hellboy's skin tones. Ultimately, I was pretty happy with how all three of those things worked out.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:16:33 PM by Heldrak »
2012 Lead Tally: Painted:0

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: My BPRD (Individual Pictures)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 01:34:03 PM »
Very nice repaints.

Not the Big Red that came with the pack, but a nice one none the less.

Thanks for sharing

The Commander

Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 01:42:13 PM »

Not the Big Red that came with the pack, but a nice one none the less.

As I mentioned in the LPL thread, the Hellboy figure that comes with the BPRD boxed set is in a very action-y pose, so I thought that the earlier Heroclix Hellboy figure made a better match for the purposes of the entry. The Hellboy figure that I used is a far inferior sculpt, however. The detail on the Right Hand of Doom, the Samaritan (HB's gun) and his horns is all very soft and rounded and it required a lot of effort to make those things look a little more sharp and angular. The leaping Hellboy that comes with the set has much better/sharper detail. I worked on that one at the same time that I did these, but it's not finished yet (too much other work for the LPL in the way right now...).

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 02:10:22 PM »

Great job Heldrak.  All of them are really nice, sharp paint jobs.  I particularly like how you approached the skin tones on Roger with a slightly different technique to that which you used on Hellboy and Abe.  It helps him to look like something artificial rather than something "painted", if you know what I mean.

The main issue that I have with the Hellboy clix is that HB himself is a bit small compared with the other BPRD and positively short in comparison with a lot of other figures.  This applies to all three of the clix Hellboys, the guy above, the guy in the BPRD box and the Anung un Rama horned and shirtless version.  Its a pity that they didnt make him just a little bigger.  I wouldnt like him to be sculpted as big as say the Hulk or the Thing, but the clix Hellboys are not even as "big" as Ron Perlman :(

I prefer the look of the Hellboy that you chose over the guy in the box.  The figure in the box has a large sword, which is fine and everything but hardly a definitive look for the character.  It was a good choice to use the figure that you did IMO.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 04:49:24 PM »
I completely agree, Cheetor. All the 'clix Hellboys are rather puny in scale (although the boxed set version seems bigger because he's leaping off a rock...). For those with concerns about scale, it might be worth substituting the 40mm Monolith Hellboy figure (the one Hellboy figure that I don't own) to get a more imposing central character.

An interesting note about the sword carried by the boxed set Hellboy, the way it's sculpted it appears to be a broken stone sword that he's wrenched off of a statue as a weapon of opportunity, not an actual metal sword (although why you'd bother with a sword of any kind when you have the Right Hand of Doom is another question...).

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 08:59:50 AM »
An interesting note about the sword carried by the boxed set Hellboy, the way it's sculpted it appears to be a broken stone sword that he's wrenched off of a statue as a weapon of opportunity, not an actual metal sword (although why you'd bother with a sword of any kind when you have the Right Hand of Doom is another question...).

I *think* that the version holding the sword is loosely based on a story from the comic.  If memory serves (and thats not a given...) Hellboy does more or less exactly what you said with some decorative sword or another at some point (I know that I am being pretty vague here...).  I do think that he holds the sword in his left hand though. 

Not that it matters or anything, but many Wizkids clix figure sculpts are based on characters appearances in specific frames of comics.  That specific image of a leaping Hellboy with a big sword was familiar the first time that I saw the figure, but I cant place the image that I suspect that it was based upon.

(Although I have read the majority of the Hellboy stuff I am not a walking encyclopedia on the topic, so take the above with a pich of salt)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 10:20:41 PM »
Those are all quite lovely!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 12:51:38 AM »
Very nice. I'll try and get a pic of my hellboy repaint up in this thread, I've tried to make him look like Mingyola drew him.

Offline Skanwy

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 06:43:01 AM »
Hi Heldrak,

Top notch painting on ALL the minis man! Even on the close up, the paint finish is smooth and really well textured.

I really like Liz's flames and the rich red of Hellboy.

Thanks for sharing :)

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 07:21:46 PM »
Very nice work there - kudos.  :)
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 02:45:14 PM »
I tinkered with some other BPRD figures while I was preparing my LPL entry, and here's the first of them: Captain Ben Daimyo.

I left him out of my entry because he's a fairly minor character (he only appears in the BPRD comics/graphic novels, not in the Hellboy comics or in either movie, and he vanished from the BPRD title after a comparatively short period) and because I was short on time. For those unfamiliar with him, he's a were-jaguar with the left side of his face hideously scarred. The scarring isn't very evident on the figure, it actually makes a pretty good generic Nick Fury-type secret agent figure. He has good sharp facial features, although his brush-cut hair-do is a little severe...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:20:20 PM by Heldrak »

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: My BPRD (Added Ben Daimyo 03/25)
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 04:45:37 PM »
These are really good, shows off how good the sculpts are under those horrible factory jobs.

Most impressed.  8)

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
These are really good, shows off how good the sculpts are under those horrible factory jobs.

Most impressed.  8)

Thanks, JB. That's high praise coming from you, considering that it was your excellent work on your lovingly-converted BRPD figures that inspired me to fool around with the BPRD in the first place (and I took the lazy man's way out...!).

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 07:13:32 PM »
Aw, you're making me blush...  lol

Credit where its due mate, these are excellent.

Offline Heldrak

• The Dark Elf
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • LPL IV Bronze Medalist
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 11:45:21 PM »
I actually got a lot of work done on my long-unupdated Hasslefree Harby/Hellboy conversion figure while I was painting these. I just have some work to do on the jacket and the hair/beard and I'll have some pictures to post (I'll resurrect the old thread for him).