Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:57:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690580
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 771
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gaming "High Plains Drifter"  (Read 4680 times)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Gaming "High Plains Drifter"
« on: March 09, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Always thought that would be a fantatsic Old West scenario.

Haven't ever seen anyone paint their town red, like "Lago", and the scenario, while a common Western theme, just begs to be gamed eastwood style.

Clint would have some bad ass stats and shooting ability, I'll tell you what!

The figures can be had,   (I'll betcha there's even a suitable "Mortiki" mini some where.) and  anyone willing, just needs to   break out several bottles of red paint, and (you want to be accurate here) tear down one of your model barns and make 28mm picnic tables   lol 

Anyone tried this, or know of a link to someone who has?   As I move to 15mm, I may just use my 28mm stuff for this.  (What a great game for a convention?)

And with the interior scratchbuilding gurus on this forum, that hilarious Barbershop scene, when Clint is getting a shave and guns down those three dudes, MUST be recreated.  :)

Maybe you can use your new, all red town, re-named "Hell"  lol,  for Deadlands style Western Horror after that?  So it's not an expensive and time consuming "One and Done" project?

Might just go on it for next Fall's "HURRICON".  Inspire me.   ;)
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
Re: Gaming "High Plains Drifter"
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 12:17:41 AM »
You You You

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 12:30:36 AM »
You You You

What do you mean?   :?

I think this looks bad, baby!  Forgot how eerie that town is, without the red.  (desolate, eh?)

Come to think of it, there were a whole lotta people in that town, with no visible residences, save for the hotel, and apartments above or behind storefronts?????
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:45:41 AM by Smokeyrone »

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 10:20:03 AM »
Looking at wierd Western towns reminded me of a film I saw long ago and never since.  did anyone else see a western about a town called Purgatory, full of dead folks waiting for the heaven stage?
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 03:02:31 PM »
Hi Smokeyrone,

Lago eh, well I had a similar thought and came up with this towards the end of last year -

and the opposite side -

I know its not exactly the same (window and door frames picked out and roofs being black) but it's close. The buildings don't have much of an interior but they provide plenty of cover.

I have also built a barn using Gary Chalk's plans from an old Wargames Illustrated and painted it in the same style.

For the red colour I use a Red Oxide Primer from a car repair store. It gives fairly good coverage, but usually requires a second coat because the timber soaks it up.

Hope you like.

RMZ

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 03:38:34 PM »
 Ramirez, I love it!!!!!  (and I love saying "Ramirez" )  ;)

That is well done.

Are you gonna do an entire town, or is this for RPG or skirmish?  looks like you could throw this in with a normal Western town, (pretty smart, doing it that way)

Thank you!   ;)

I thought of something in my sleep, I should start a recepticle for bad scratchbuild attempts, old buildings that have been retired from the gaming table, and such.  making brand new painted and finishind buildings, then slopping a coat  of red, seems a step too many?   

I have noticed that some HO buildings actually work well for 15mm Wild west (Barns and such especially).  maybe next trip to Palm Beach, I'll stop by the train store, and peruse their "bargain bin of used model RR buildings?)

Thanks Ramirez !

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 06:56:35 AM »
Watched Blazing Saddles today, and was reminded by the scenes near the end of "Drifter".   lol
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 07:43:21 AM »
Smokeyrone you hit the nail on it's head with this one,one of my favourite films and a great film for the film buffs.That final scene "Say Mister,what did you say your name was?" as Mordechai cleans up the Sherrif's gravestone "You already know my name" says Clint and off into the high plains........ah brilliant.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 10:44:43 AM »
Hi,

@ Smokeyrone
Are you gonna do an entire town, or is this for RPG or skirmish?

I have enough wildwest buildings (and some railroad sections) for an entire town - not all painted red though. They are a mix of Snapdragon resin and scratch builds. I also have some of the Snapdragon adobe range so can skirmish either side of the border.

@ Bezzo
Got any more scenic pieces to show?

Yeap, just a case of finding some time to photograph them - hopefully post some more in the next week or so.

We try and play most wild west skirmish rules, including the Gloire/.45A  ideas from the last TEQ from Rat Trap. 

Ramirez

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 03:47:09 PM »
P_Clapham :  LOL!   We already wrote down some notes for a Blazzing Saddles game (I just want to Build Howard Johsnon's Ice Cream, 1 flavor)  .  It's a very similar scenario to Drifter, except it would be Nazis, Cland members, Huns, and such attacking the town. 

You would of course have to build the "False Town" of facades and standee figures!   :D

I have a start on a 28mm Three Amigos game, with similar scenario:  El Guapo and his men invade town, every citizen defender is dressed in Amigo costumes.

I wrote up a  "Gutshot South Park!  Oh My God, You Shot Kenny!" supplement, and have the figures, need to complete THAT one too!

JOROAS-  I remember tha, but forgot the name of the movie. 

GreyWolf, I'm going to do this for HURRICON

Ramirez, can't wait to see more pics

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 07:51:45 PM »
The film was called Purgatory and the town was called Refuge.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »
Looking at wierd Western towns reminded me of a film I saw long ago and never since.  did anyone else see a western about a town called Purgatory, full of dead folks waiting for the heaven stage?

Yes. Had Eric Roberts in it if I recall correctly.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 02:48:48 PM »
Hi All,

@ Smokeyrone "Ramirez, can't wait to see more pics"

Now the sun has come out at last in Gloucestershire ... I managed to run off a couple of shots during a quick lunch break.

The building is based on the Gary Chalk plans published in WI some years ago.

The roofs lift off and a hay loft has been constructed at one end. The interior is awaiting completion.

RMZ

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 03:09:19 PM »
Nice, where are you in Glos?
 :)

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 03:56:27 PM »