Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:31:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WOTC Dropping starwars lines  (Read 5228 times)

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
WOTC Dropping starwars lines
« on: March 09, 2010, 04:55:57 PM »
Wotc have announced they are dropping the starwars lines in may  :'( Thats the roleplaying game and the miniatures.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75862/22320337/Wizards_of_the_Coast_announcement

Shame

Steve

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
Re: WOTC Dropping starwars lines
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 05:27:08 PM »
It's really too bad. I have been playing the RPG for several months now and am quite enjoying myself. I guess if I want to keep playing I should think about buying the books that I don't have before they are unavailable.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 05:35:57 PM »
I'm hoping someone else buys the RPG liscense and does a less lazy job of it.

I like the idea of the prepainted minis, but I hate collectable minis...

Would be nice if they were prepainted and in units or something, for wargaming use or something.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 08:39:25 PM »
  >:(
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 08:45:34 PM »
I am not certain anyone else will be getting the license.  Hasbro (WOTC's parent company) has first rights for Star Wars toy licensing, and has announced that the 3 3/4" figures will be coming packed with stat cards, rules and a dice for a new combat game.  That may have had sme influence on the decision to drop the miniatures game, but overall I know from friends who work for Hasbro that the license fees for Star Wars are huge, and I doubt there are any otehr miniatures companies out there outside of GW that could survive a deal with Lucasfilm.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 01:59:46 AM »
I am not certain anyone else will be getting the license.  Hasbro (WOTC's parent company) has first rights for Star Wars toy licensing, and has announced that the 3 3/4" figures will be coming packed with stat cards, rules and a dice for a new combat game.  That may have had sme influence on the decision to drop the miniatures game, but overall I know from friends who work for Hasbro that the license fees for Star Wars are huge, and I doubt there are any otehr miniatures companies out there outside of GW that could survive a deal with Lucasfilm.

Damn, Damn, Damn!  I am still afraid to look at my usual Star Wars figure retailers, afraid to see a price war.

Yeah, that figures they want the sky for licensing. 

I tried to get license for my SpongeBob colonial games, and damn Viacom wanted so much money, I literally laughed out loud in front of their lawyer.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 08:26:46 AM »
Damn, I guess I'll have to have a look if there's any vehicles/aliens I still want.
Luckily, for most of the figures I'm set with WEG Metal ones (including a bucketload of stormtroopers).
For Hoth I have a bunch of the Micro Collection metal ones, which are about the same size as the WOTC plastics (of which I've sprinkled a few in for added variety). :)

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 09:21:53 AM »
The mini line was getting a bit stale, what with re-sculpts of Vader and other main characters.  Frankly the quality of the sculpts and paint jobs have been going down hill, not as fast as the D&D minis, but enough for my wallet to notice.  Interesting about them including a 'game' with the new action figures.  If memory serves me correctly one of the D20 Star Wars RPG's had combat examples using the 3 3/4" figures.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Don't they also have a "game" system for those non poseable, 1/35 figures (the "Battle Packs?)

The figures will soon be as expensive as the old motorized sandcrawler   :(

Stormtroopers in mass were already getting a bit pricey.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 04:20:02 PM »
Wouldn't moving this thread to "Future Wars" have made more sense? ;)

even though technically it all happened a long time ago... ;)

so maybe put it in Swashbuckling instead...

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
Too bad.  They made good cheap cannon fodder minis and repaint material.  I guess I'll have to get some more Stormtroopers etc
A side note: Gaming with action figures?  That doesn't ever do too well does it?  I'm remembering the Shadowrun  action figure disaster and those Marvel SHowdown figs.  Although if they are already producing action figures why not throw in a die and some "rules".   

Terrain would be just stupid for this.   
This is my boomstick!

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 06:11:27 PM »
Apologies for the wrong section post i didnt know where to put it.

And it is a shame im only interested in picking up the Star Wars rpg anyway.

Steve

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 10:47:17 PM »
I'm remembering the Shadowrun  action figure disaster and those Marvel SHowdown figs. 

I just recently saw the showdown figs in walmart, but repackaged just as action figures. Now I'm curious if the data cards have some sort of gaming stats on them...
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 11:25:01 PM »
Wouldn't moving this thread to "Future Wars" have made more sense? ;)

even though technically it all happened a long time ago... ;)

so maybe put it in Swashbuckling instead...

LOL!  or maybe "Old West" as it was really based upon "The Searchers" (  ::) ) which was based upon the Sugiami film "Samuri with  light sabre" (I made that title up, but I've heard people say it was based on some Japanese film.)   :D

Prices have gone up, BTW!   >:(   I remember when Airfix ran into financial/bankruptcy problems some years ago, and immediately, their "Ghurka" figure sets  were pulled "pending events"  (more accurately defined as : "We hope we can sell these at usery rates if Airfix goes belly up")

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 06:52:47 AM »
Beat me to it!  I was thinking:  Future Wars, Western, Fantasy, World War II, Weird World War II, Colonial Adventures and Swashbuckling Adventures.   lol

Star Wars is pretty much a kitchen sink style space opera after all.

LOL!  or maybe "Old West" as it was really based upon "The Searchers" (  ::) ) which was based upon the Sugiami film "Samuri with  light sabre" (I made that title up, but I've heard people say it was based on some Japanese film.)   :D

Prices have gone up, BTW!   >:(   I remember when Airfix ran into financial/bankruptcy problems some years ago, and immediately, their "Ghurka" figure sets  were pulled "pending events"  (more accurately defined as : "We hope we can sell these at usery rates if Airfix goes belly up")