Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:01:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690959
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WOTC Dropping starwars lines  (Read 5229 times)

Offline marko.oja

• Scientist
    • My Photobucket
Re: WOTC Dropping starwars lines
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 08:03:26 AM »
Inspired by this, I just made what I hope to be my last order for these from Strikezone. Still quite reasonably priced, roughly 30€ for fifty or so minis (20 or so stormtroopers) including shipping to Finland. It's a shame that the speeders are so expensive, would like to get a couple (more like ten) of those too for Endor.

Get them while you can I say, the prices for the storm troopers will likely go up now that WotC will stop producing them. You can never have too many  ;D

Currently painting: Black Hat Three Musketeers range.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 08:06:12 AM »
The Japanese movie is "The hidden fortress" by Kurosawa. I have it on DVD. 8)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 03:48:12 PM »
Pardon my treat necromancy, but there is a thought process I wanted to share with you guys.

First of I was wondering what companies could buy the licence, catalyst perhaps as they do a lot of collectable miniatures these days. But from what I head they are somewhat low on budget and they couldn’t continue the WOTC line, so improbable.

So what company has the funds to buy a license and build a product line around it without going down in the process?

GW, does.

Now a few years ago I would say that it wouldn’t happen, but they have the lord of the rings licence now.
A friend of mine says that for his small retailing LotR actually makes up half the income, about the same as fantasy and 40K combined, I have no idea wetter or not this is so globally for GW or not, but in any case the LotR line doesn’t do badly.

Starwars is pretty much to sci-fi as Lord of the rings is to fantasy, one of, if not the, biggest name. And 40K sells better then warhammer fantasy, this is a known fact.

And it looks possible, miniature wise. Metals for the special characters and multy part plastic for the rank and fill troops. To my untrained mind it actually seems a perfect fit, all the jedi and characters from the movies could easily be made from metal, and the lightsabers could be those plastic sticks necrons have or something similar. There is an extensive universe beyond the movies to draw upon should that source run dry, much like they are doing now for LotR.

They system wouldn’t be a problem I’m sure. Especially the whole rare ally etz restrictions from War of the Ring would fit the starwars universe fine I think.

Naturally there has not been any indication in the slightest to this whole thing, but the pieces seem to fit. And it would make economic sense based of my limited information.

In short, I don’t expect it’s happening, but it wouldn’t be surprised if it did. I would love it to tough.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)