Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:42:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Flying Lead, anyone?  (Read 3603 times)

Offline sentepid

• Student
Flying Lead, anyone?
« on: March 13, 2010, 06:29:31 AM »
Hi there,

I have just added Ganesha Games new production, Flying Lead to my skirmish set. I have found Mutants and Death Ray Guns to play well, and I anticipate the same with FL.

Just wondering: is anyone else using FL for Pulp? How have you found it? Any limitations or system breaks?

Andrew

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
Re: Flying Lead, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 09:14:31 AM »
Obviously I would say it works well ... but PULP type games were a big part of the playtesting and we use it for everything from Indi Jones type games, B-movie stuff up to the end of the pulp era with A Very British Civil  War stuff. There are rules for most things and the abilities should kit most pulp characters up. Make use of the 'task system' for all those 'tricky moments'. Also on the Ganesha forum I put up rules for heroic 'jumping' and leaping and also using 2 weapons etc.
Jumping:
http://www.ganeshagames.net/files/pages/download/jumping_rules_for_fl.pdf
Other stuff:
http://ganeshagames.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=flyingleadqanda&action=display&thread=133
Any questions just ask!

Rich J
Rich J

Offline sentepid

• Student
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 12:38:42 PM »
Thanks for replying, Rich.

I see it says in the rules for 8 to 15 a side. I am interested, at what number of figures does it 'break'?

Andrew

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 12:50:06 PM »
Aimed at small 3x3 in 28mm games in an hour ... if you have more figs it takes longer and needs more space. If you make most of the troops 'vanilla' without any abilities etc then we regularly play up to platoon level on a 4x3 or 6x4 but I wouldn't reccommend more than that to be honest as the mechanics are 'opposed' rolls so would get a bit much.

For pulp type games we often have one smaller side v. load of troops with the 'extra/red shirt' rule which means they are out of action if beaten in combat instead of ducking back or shaken etc. In larger platoon games we also do this for anyone but characters to speed it up.

Offline tima113

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:06:34 AM »
Played a Star Wars game at Cold Wars last night using FL (thanks Derek!). We had 6 players (3 per side) with 8 figures each player (1 leader, 1 heavy weapon, remainder grunts) . The action took up a roughly 6x6 area of a large table with lots of buildings and terrain blocking line of site. No Jedi/force powers, just straight shooty types. We had to locate droid parts to repair and leave the table with a battle droid. Each side had 2 of the 3 parts necessary to repair the droid and it was going to be a last man standing affair to get the third from the other side (grunts were dropping like flies). Game pretty much developed into two main battle areas. We called the game after 2.5 hrs, the Empire troops were getting decimated and we stalemated on the victory conditions. A little slow on the start but everyone picked up the rules quickly and were pretty much self-running with some guidance on combat modifiers/results throughout the game.
This scenario could very well be set in the pulp era with a few tweaks (super science robot/weapon, appropriate pulp units, etc.). The game reminded me of pulp games I played using the GASLIGHT rules, so I don't see any problem with using FL for pulp games.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 11:56:39 AM »
Tima, if possible please provide info on how you stated the different minis. Your scenario sounds like exactly what I'm doing with Flying Lead. Bought it last week, and have a bunch of trooper minis in the post. A little outlandish terrain and I'm set for squad based skirmishing in a galaxy far far away! =) No silly jedi here, just good old laser blasting!

Edit: Sorry for derailing the thread... Tima, put any info in a new post in the appropriate forum. =)
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 01:32:34 PM »
That's a big game to get people started with ... in built up areas I hope people were using the sneaking and the opportunity fire mechanics ... good to see them being used :)

The Yahoo group already has a few stats for SWars based FL in the files which should give people what they need.
I can try porting them over here but might be easy to join the Y. Group.
Rich J

Offline tima113

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 09:07:46 PM »
It wasn't my scenario, I was just a happy participant.

Stats used for this game were very simple: squad leader - Q3+ C2, heavy weapon & grunts: Q4+, C2. Blaster gave you +2, and normal ranged combat modifiers applied. No other special abilities were being used. Overall, ran smoothly as a con game with newbies (only two of us had previously played a ganesha game before).