Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:13:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Your thoughts on a miniatures game?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
Your thoughts on a miniatures game?
« on: March 13, 2010, 10:23:15 AM »
Hey guys

just wondering, out of curiosity, what changes could be made to AA's Flintloque game that would tempt you into it?

A very controvesial topic, but I was just thinking about it.

I started sculpting for AA because I don't like some of the more recent sculpts. I decided to make my own ones. Although hard, I like to think they are an improvement. But by no means a solution.

Would most of you say it's just the background or the rulesystem? Or does that not matter to a lot of you (I for one have considered trying Mordheim or SOBAH/SODAS)?

Really interested to hear what you have to say,
Rob :)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Your thoughts on a miniatures game?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 11:26:43 AM »
I played Flintloque for years when it first came out, it was very popular in my shop with multiplayer games involving hundreds of figures run regularly (skirmish rules, not the unit ones). Most of the figures and all the scenery was painted and produced by me (my shop after all) everybody that tried it liked it.

But, we didn't use Flintloque rules, we used the Foundry horse and musket rules which worked  much better.

I found the Flintloque rules to be dull, finicky and therefore tedious; they are the sole reason why I forsook Flintloque. Great idea, poor implementation (for me, anyone else can play whatever they want, it's an age and expectations thing). I liked the figure style, that was never a problem :)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
Re: Your thoughts on a miniatures game?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 11:38:45 AM »
That's great!

Have you checked out the flintloque 'lite' rules recently? They've made some nice changes to make it more usable.

However, it still only really works on a small game basis. Lot's of note-taking otherwise.
Initiative has changed a lot for example. Before you had to write what you were going to do down, I hated that. Now there is a smooth initiative system whereby each player activates 2 models a time, alternating throughout the turn until there are no miniatures left to activate or make actions with.

The game on the whole is still mostly percentile and works best (imo) with a GM. There should also be a PURPOSE to the game, i.e. a scenario mission or something. The new rules actually have lots of adaptable scenarios in them for this purpose. With a GM, all sorts of silliness can be added in.
They have added traits and skills to the game as well, so your miniatures can be adapted to the storyline you give them. For example, one of my Todoroni has been blessed by the Popeye, leader of the Catatonic faith. He has some magickal abilities. However, he is an absoloute wuss and will most-likely run at the first sign of gunfire. He also has a close friendship with the Catatonic Bishop that is travelling with my party to one of the biggest Monastries in all of Catalucia!