Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:26:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686595
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First Post - A work in progress  (Read 5076 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: First Post - A work in progress
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 12:11:31 AM »
I like it. I particularly like the viewing gear at the front, great idea.

I do have two minor 'constructive criticisms' though. The first is the top of the legs don't really seem attached to the body. Even as a sci-fi thing I'd have trouble with the flexible cables supporting it when the lower part is a big fat support leg, it should either use one or the other. For VSF where flexible supporting cables is a bit advanced, even more so. I'd probably add a rod between the leg and body, leaving the cabling as just that.
The second thing is the chimney, it doesn't meet with the hull. There are two ways of dealing with the problem of a flat tube meeting a curved surface. Easiest way is drill a hole and put the tube in that. That's not always possible however. The other way is to make the tube out of plastic and put sand paper over the curved surface. Then rub the tube over the sandpaper until the edges touch it. When the sandpaper is removed the tube should fit snugly against the curve.

As I said, they're minor points on a nice conversion, just something to bear in mind on other works.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Count Winsky

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 05:42:37 AM »
Very nice.
“There is no force like success, and that is why the individual makes all effort to surround himself throughout life with the evidence of it; as of the individual, so should it be of the nation.”

Marcus Garvey

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 08:19:58 AM »
I think it's wonderful!

Would you be offended if others (me!) took this idea into their own army as well? I'd love to field a few and they look quite effective.
Professor Baillie's Fantastic Automotive War-Strider!

I can imagine it in a painting by Patrick Woodroffe. (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51s6dy6gH9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg)

I'd maybe make some of the minor changes Dewbakuk mentions. I think the chimney could actually be sorted out with a tiny bit of greenstuff. You could paint it as if it has been welded into place rather than slotted. In fact, I think that makes for a more realistic look and is much simpler!

I need to buy some of these before they stop selling them... :D

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 08:24:12 AM »
Absolutely brilliant - would that happen to be a 'fruit-shoot' bottle top on the left hand side of the walker?

Quote from: Dewbakuk
The other way is to make the tube out of plastic and put sand paper over the curved surface. Then rub the tube over the sandpaper until the edges touch it. When the sandpaper is removed the tube should fit snugly against the curve.

Good tip, I've had the same thing with one of my builds so I'm going to try your suggestion.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 08:25:40 AM »
Absolutely brilliant - would that happen to be a 'fruit-shoot' bottle top on the left hand side of the walker?

Looks like it! Or a normal bottled water top.

Offline colin_baillie

• Librarian
    • Eclipsing Binaries 15mm Scifi Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 11:16:53 AM »
Many great comments again, especially from Dewbakuk - yes, the legs look a bit naff with the cable attachments, but this is from the original figure and I think I'll just justify it by saying these were "aquired" Martian mechanics (saves me doing some work).

I've been toying with the idea of taking the chimney off and replacing with two chimneys fom a GW Empire Steam Tank which I'd attach to the fruit shoot lids. There's also a few fly wheels and pistons I may add from here...
http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/shop/category_240/EMPIRE-STEAM-TANK.html?shop_param=cid%3D%26

Anyway, please feel free to steal any ideas, only please give any credit to Cam Kennedy, the artist who drew these in the Star Wars Dark Empire comics - maybe name these after him instead!!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »
Hey Cam(?)

Sounds great! Nicked Martian tech isn't a bad idea. My friend mentioned a follow-up book of War of the Worlds, written by someone else (of course), in which the British build up their forces and attack Mars!
Perhaps this could be one of the things they build for that very attack!  :D

I'd probably go for the more low-tech approach as I am going for the more earth-based approach (at the moment).

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 12:23:37 PM »
Simply brilliant! VSF absurdity at its best!  :)
Don't!