Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:58:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690879
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Wolfman. Hit or Miss?  (Read 6379 times)

Offline anumberone

• Assistant
Re: The Wolfman. Hit or Miss?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 12:49:30 AM »
 I definitely think Benicio Del Toro was the worst part of this movie. He emoted much more as the werewolf than Talbot, who I really couldn't care less about in this film. Lon Chaney Jr.'s performance seemed informed by a tragic life and you felt for the guy. Maybe the role should have gone to Mickey Rourke?

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 02:00:47 AM »
Hmm, perhaps...though there still would have been some problems with the stories ending at least if someone had actually played Talbot with some passion and conveyed the tragedy it would have been a lot better and taken the edge off the ending.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 08:20:07 PM »
This is a bit disappointing, I was hoping the poor reviews I've seen in the press were exagerated and the cognoscenti on the LAF (whose opinions I usually find to coincide with my own) would still find a warm place for it in their hearts.

Guess not.  :(

I'll go see it with you  :'(

Offline Agger

• Lead Adventure Club (Danish)
  • Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »
The most dissapointing thing about this film wasn't anything remotely close to the acting, because none of the actors had anything to act with! I don't think I can recall seeing a film with so bad a manuscript in the cinema! we are talking War of the worlds remake badness!

a few redeeming facts:
- the werewolf desing was great, a combination of the old fluffy one and Rick Bakers creation in An American werewolf in London. Nice! (aAWiL is still the only great werewolf movie ever made btw.)

- Hugo Weawing had a few great moments, (but also some bad ones.)
- some gory scenes.
- If you liked Antony Hopkins in Coppola's Dracula, he repeats the same role in this flick, although not as convincing (I blame the manuscript)

The total failures:

- The corlourgrading was awfull! Why Hollywood seem to think they need to slap blue or golden filters over everything that isn't taken place in "our world" is beyond me. - this totally spoiled the victoriana feel for me btw.

- I geuss the plot was okay, but the dialog didn't manage to make it convincing - AT ALL

- A recurring error in general was the fact that none of the characters, maybe except Hugo, had any real explained reason for doing as they did...

In conclution: AVOID! AVOID AVOID! Go see the new film by Scorcese, or maybe the Road or do something completely different ... DON'T waste money or time on this junk!

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
    • https://killerbgames.co.uk/
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 08:31:40 PM »
I loved it! :-*

I loved the Victorian nod to American Werewolf in London when the wolfman is running through traffic.

And I loved the updated Lon Chaney-esque look of the creature.

That being said I thought the plot could have been a bit more complex. It wasn't too hard to guess who the other wolfman was.

I did like the showdown at the end though.
"Morning!"

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 02:49:54 PM »
I just saw it last night. Benicio Del Toro as the prodigal English aristocrat was the first hint that the makers of this movie simply didn't care. Cataloging the other signs of wanton neglect (for the audience) would be a heart breaking experience. Though I did like the wolfman outfits, I'm still sorry I saw it.

Rob