Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:29:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Orc's Drift - The Grand Finale  (Read 133181 times)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
Re: Orc's Drift - Skulldred battle report added!
« Reply #390 on: January 16, 2011, 01:27:08 AM »
Cheers fellas -

Might have gone overboard on the rust - the whole back story was supposed to distract from the parlous state of said weapon and my laziness in rectifying it with some putty.  ::)

But point taken mate!  :D

You saw cowboy I saw Dali...

What does that say about my mental state? ;D

Mind you a pair of six-shooters and a poncho and that would be a pretty cool mini!

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #391 on: January 16, 2011, 07:51:50 AM »
like those a lot,

cardstock buildings work reasonably well too are they worldworks?

dodge

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #392 on: January 16, 2011, 04:07:40 PM »
Cheers Dodge - they're the card buildings that came with the various Citadel scenario sets.

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #393 on: January 16, 2011, 11:59:45 PM »
Looking nice, love the cleaver guy too, he came in a number of not that different variations so worth checking if actually he is the same one you have phreed or not. I was over the moon when I got him and the standard used in the 3rd ed how to paint article.

Also like the marauder black orcs I have a bunch but still on the lead pile, never understood why you cold only have units of 10 and no bigger.

I have some green skins coming soon myself, all for a certain scenario dear to my heart and pseudonym.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #394 on: January 17, 2011, 12:08:40 AM »
Cheers Erny - sounds intriguing - look forward to seeing what you're up to...

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #395 on: February 02, 2011, 12:23:46 AM »
Well back on the wagon after several interludes into samurai and naval mini painting - and I thought that it'd be a great idea for Christmas and Birthday pressies!

Now for something entirely for my enjoyment...  >:D

Part way through finishing the archers for the Severed Hand Tribe and I'm toying with an idea for their shield design. Although I really like these little shields from Hasslefree I'm not really up to painting convincing or elaborate designs on the wood grain.

So I thought why not go for an archery target for a laugh...

Can't quite make my mind up on the idea myself - a few too many circles perhaps?

Anyway any thoughts or tips on painting designs on wood grain would be gratefully received!  :D

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #396 on: February 02, 2011, 12:59:43 AM »
Beautiful minis and great paint jobs, I just realised that one of the buildings has a poster on it that says 'Slanns in space', now thats ace.

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #397 on: February 02, 2011, 08:53:44 AM »
As I said on your blog a whole unit of neatly painted targets owuld look a bit un-orcy.

I'd go for a range of simple designs and let the wood grain do your highlighting with an almost dry brush.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #398 on: February 02, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
I'd go for a range of simple designs and let the wood grain do your highlighting with an almost dry brush.
Agree with the man... Think urukhai of Isengard. They just globbed on flat white paint with their hands.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #399 on: February 02, 2011, 10:52:22 PM »
Take your points fellas - that did cross my mind.

Mind you I want these archers to look a bit hoighty-toighty (spelling?!) - as all right thinking Orcs know, the best place to be is in the thick of it doing a bit of good honest bashin'. Arrer boyz don't seem to like getting their hands dirty (comparatively speaking!) so I was thinking of a dafter, more colourful fantasy version of the Stormboyz ethic might be in order - or am I thinking a bit too much about all this...?  ;D

I'll get some pics up when I've done a couple of them to show you what on earth I'm on about...

The other idea I had was a variation on the two fingered salute English archers may or may not have greeted the French with after Agincourt - mind you I'd ideally need to source a load of round flat shields for that...

Offline VoodooInk

• Scientist
    • bombshell-games.com
« Reply #400 on: February 03, 2011, 04:10:26 AM »
I'm a fan.

I'd like to see one of the shields with an arrow, or two, stuck in it.  :)

'HAVOC... it's okay to wreak a little!'    <a href="http://www.bombshell-games.com/>bombshell games[/url]

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #401 on: February 06, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »
Cheers VoodooInk - I've decided to go with them.   :D

It may not be the most orcy of designs but the sentiment behind it certainly is - especially when the boyz do a little practice in between engagements - usually involving one of the more slow witted members of the unit standing at the end of the field holding one of said shields aloft, although if they fancy a challenge there is always many an unwilling Gobbo who can be set running with one of the ladz' shields strapped to his back!  >:D

Besides these Arrer Boyz have acquired some airs and graces to go with their looted Bretonninan surcoats - they are, after all, a cut above the average grunt who has to march all the way into combat to stick whoever they is fightin'!

Had a go a go at sticking some arrows in a few of them too...

The Ladz getting stuck in with the Dwarfs of Ashak Rise...

Three more archers to go, plus the champion and the drummer and I should have a complete unit of Harboth's Orc archers, which I'll be splitting into two ten man units for the Orc's Drift scenarios.

Got a good (I think!) idea for the champion's shield, which is a nice flat citadel plastic one...  ;D

http://teasgettingcold.blogspot.com/2011/02/near-mark.html

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #402 on: February 07, 2011, 06:56:39 AM »
They turned out great, Steve! Like the shields much more when seeing them as a unit!

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #403 on: February 07, 2011, 10:33:17 AM »
Yeah, grudingly they look good..They aren't harboth's now though so you'll need to flesh out the fluff you came up with on your blog.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #404 on: February 07, 2011, 08:49:21 PM »
Cheers fellas - wait till you see what I've got cooking for Yaskin Forit's (unit champion)shield!

As for the unit's identity they'll just be archers from the Severed Hand and Kwae Kar tribes for Orc's Drift purposes.

Beyond that I don't see why they couldn't be Harboth's - read this on the Regiments of Renown section of Stuff of Legends -

Their uniforms are generally ragged cast-offs obtained from past victims of approximately the right size.

They've just gone up in the world a bit since the Battle of Bauer’s Farm!  ;)

Edit - just seen your comment on the blog Erny - how about renaming the champion Innnwun Grimbowen...  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:54:37 PM by Thantsants »