Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:51:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

Assault Force Z; I thought G2 said they can't use weapons!(CPT_Shanks) vs. Denizens of the Tomb (Temudjin00)

Assault Force Z; I thought G2 said they can't use weapons!(CPT_Shanks)
46 (18.3%)
Denizens of the Tomb (Temudjin00)
205 (81.7%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Voting closed: March 29, 2010, 12:27:52 AM

Author Topic: Round 5 - Assault Force Z vs. Denizens of the Tomb  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Round 5 - Assault Force Z vs. Denizens of the Tomb
« on: March 21, 2010, 11:27:52 PM »

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
Re: Round 5 - Assault Force Z vs. Denizens of the Tomb
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 04:10:32 AM »
Man I'm getting hammered. Is the painting that bad or the picture. To be losing that bad some one has got to offer up some advice. BTW I really like how my stuff turned out, not so much the picture, but the minis catch my flavor of both gaming and painting.
To be fair the Denizen are cleanly painted and well detailed but lack depth somehow. Not subject depth, they just seem flat to me.
"welcome to the world of cascading failure"

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 06:58:23 AM »
It's the busty substances. I suspect.

For what it's worth I really like people in gas masks. Where are they from?
And I voted for you even if the photo is pretty ordinary technically.
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 04:29:02 AM »
The troops in gas masks and the zombie troopers are both Copplestone Future Wars.

Offline Temudjin00

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 05:17:44 PM »
Man I'm getting hammered. Is the painting that bad or the picture. To be losing that bad some one has got to offer up some advice. BTW I really like how my stuff turned out, not so much the picture, but the minis catch my flavor of both gaming and painting.
To be fair the Denizen are cleanly painted and well detailed but lack depth somehow. Not subject depth, they just seem flat to me.

I am a big fan of Copplestone Castings. Bias, aside  ;) I like your entry a lot too!

In both of our cases, I think the photos hide shading and depth. Looking closely, I can see the depth in your figs. I can assure you it is in mine as well. And, for me in this LPL, I am having trouble with getting good pics of my work. Aside from the boring no background/terrain dilemma, I cannot seem to get balanced light with my pictures using the macro mode on my current camera. (I have a coolpix camera somewhere in this darn office that I have read has an excellent macro mode.) As with this photo, I am getting too much light, which shows the color nicely, but not the color gratiation. I could paint to this problem, but then my figures would look strange on the table.

Starkadder -- "busty substances" vs bio hazard suits. It seems the perfect matchup, each cancelling the others nerdly attraction.  ;)

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:01:13 AM »
CPT Shanks, I think the problem with your picture is that the zombies are mostly seen side-on. The bio-suit troopers are more front-on and they draw focus from the zeds. It would have been a more effective picture if we had a better look at the zombies' faces, although I know this is easier said than done, especially with having to fit ten miniatures into the frame. Cool stuff though, I'd like to see some close-ups after the round ends  :).