Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:39:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 2-6mm sci-fi rules that can do this?  (Read 1771 times)

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
2-6mm sci-fi rules that can do this?
« on: March 24, 2010, 03:02:26 PM »
I’d really like to find a set of 2-6mm sci fi rules with a complete mini line, or at least troop types that are easy enough to find, that fits the following criteria (or at least something close):

-Small play area (2x2 to 3x3 feet…4X4 max)
-Hex based (any size hex)
-All of the following:  Infantry, Air, Ground, Mecha
-Mecha aren’t huge (an inch or so tall max)
-Smaller army size, with a big army feel
-Relatively short play time (an hour or two, not an all day thing)
-Each unit is a single base (20-40mm max)
-Simple, yet tactical rules*(more detail below)
-Abstract, not simulation
-No (or not very much) math
-Rules for “intelligence” ** (more below)
-Initiative system that isn’t simply you-go, I-go, something a little more interesting.
-Rules to customize your army, or make it feel unique (such as rules for assigning different level pilots to vehicles).
-Minimal, or no in-game record keeping

*In the past few years I’ve become sort of tired of overly complex rules, yet I still like a tactically challenging games.  I’ve found games like Battlelore (or any of the Colors & Commands games) are about the right level of complexity, and yet offer a ton of replayablility and tactical decisions that make every battle very different.

**I’d really like that CONTROLLING  the battlefield feel, not that ON the battlefield feel.  I’d like rules for recon, or satellite intelligence or something.
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: 2-6mm sci-fi rules that can do this?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 11:39:30 AM »
That's quite a list of criteria, so a bit difficult to find THE game that fits. I do think that Future War Commander is a great system that fits most of your needs. We play it at 6mm scale and it works well. Let's see how it fits your wants:

*I have a 4x4 table and it works well for small or medium games
*IMO hexes can be used in all games, just a matter of rebasing and slightly tweaking some rules concerning distances.
*The game has infantry (including things like cavalry or jump packs), gunships and airstrikes, all kinds of ground vehicles and rules for big walkers (the Massive units which can take a lot more damage and have multiple weapon systems)
*FWC says models which are 30mm or bigger count as Massive, so that fits your description.
*You can play at a lot of sizes. Even small armies with cheap vehicles and infantry can give a game that feels big and has tactical depth
*Our games never lasted longer than two hours.
*Most units fit on a 20 by 40mm base and depict a single unit (5 troops of infantry fit on one base as one unit)
*The rules are quite simple, but have a lot of interesting options like orbital bombardments, suppression, airstrikes, artillery, recce, etc.
*Abstract is a rather vague term...dunno how abstract you think the game is
*Math is easy. Count the number of units firing and their firepower. Roll that number of dice, count hits...roll saves...remove destroyed units. Easypeasy.
*The game has rules for Forward Observers, recce and snipers. Once again, the rules aren't difficult and add a nice touch to the game.
*The game is a Igo-Ugo system with a simple reaction system to it (models can react once in their opponent's turn, but this also means they can't do reaction-based stuff at the start of their turn...really nice touch that keeps both players in the game all the time).
*The game has rules to design EVERYTHING for your army...not only the units, but also things like the number of orbital bombardments, the force's tactical level, the technological level. All very simple, but they add some nice touches to your force. I have designed a Martian force for the game (see the Ancible Magazine, number 3). Easy work and loads of fun! On FWC's website is a free tool that lets you design units on your pc.
*Only record keeping you need are some markes to show what units are suppressed, have used their reaction shooting, etc. No hit points or stuff like that. If a unit survives a turn, it "resets" its wounds next turn. Easy to manage and it works well.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »

It appears that my "wants" in 6mm are similar to grubmans :)

Let's see how it fits your wants:

That sounds very interesting.  Where is the "meat" of the game, if you know what I mean?
What are the important decisions that have to be made by a player from turn to turn?

For example:
Are there decisions about what "order" or "state" that the units must go through the turn in (other than the aforementioned consequences of reaction firing)? 

Is there an action point system?

What I am trying to ask is where the imprtant decisions regarding the gmaeplay occur (I hope that I am making sense here...)

The rules sound interesting and they seem to have a comprehensive listing covering the 6mm (Epic GW) figures that I already own.  With that in mind I just need a small push to pick up a PDF copy of FWC from Lulu...

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 12:38:14 PM »
I think the main focus on the game is:
1. Risk Management
2. Manouvring
3. Directing Firepower correctly
4. Having a balanced list with infantry - tanks - specials (flyers, artillery, etc.)

1. What I TOTALLY forgot in my first reply and something that is extremely important to the game is the way your turn works. In your force you have several HQ units. These officers give orders to the units. HQ comes in several levels (7-10 IIRC). If you give an order with an HQ unit, you can give it to any unit you want, if they all do the same (i.e. move!...fire!). Roll 2D6 and if the score is equal or lower to your level, the order succeeds. Each time a unit gets an order after the first, apply a cumulative +1 modifier to the dice roll. This shows it gets harder to have units do things over and over during your turn.
Once you fail the command roll, that HQ unit cannot give order anymore. Been a while since I played and I think the other HQ units could try again. That said, it shows you REALLY have to think over your turn: what is most important to accomplish this turn and what are the odds it will work. Sometimes you have to take a gamble and it may even work! It also gives that Fog of War effect as you don't know how your turn will work out exactly. I like how it gives that effect that communications may be scrambled, are not understood or are executed TOTALLY wrong (yes,rolling box cars is a very, very bad thing to happen :D).

2. Manouvring is important as it allows you to dictate the flow of battle, create firing lanes (or kill zones) and with the right manouvring you can really screw up your opponent's turn if your move leads to some nice reaction firing (for example, in his side for bonus attack dice).

3. You often have to decide whether you want to split firepower amongst several units (lowering the chance of taking them out), or massing firepower against one or two targets, giving you a big chance of taking them out. Only damaging a target is not a disaster as you have a chance of suppressing it (taking out its offensive power). This choice will happen a lot. Sometimes it's better to suppress a powerful unit as even one or two of them can amass a huge amount of firepower. Then again, a suppressed unit is not destroyed and thus can strike back later. Choices...

4. Sometimes it's tempting to go for the heavy armoured cavalry approach. Downside is you will be outnumbered and chances of suppression are big...and suppression means no firing. So you'll need some cheap fillers, some infantry for assaults (and they're cheap). In addition, the special stuff like orbital bombardments, artillery and air strikes can give you powerful support without having to risk your units in the open. Balance is the key.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 02:01:33 PM »

Thank you for the in depth run down :)

Choices...

That seems to sum up what you are saying I think.  The ability to make actual decisions to influence what happens on the table is what I am after.

FWC sounds very tempting.  Hmmm...

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 02:57:36 PM »
You can also check out Ancible number 1. There is a thorough review of FWC in it, quite nice.