Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:51:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686666
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

What miniatures should I purchase next?

Elephant Beastmen
6 (22.2%)
Griffons
0 (0%)
Satyrs
0 (0%)
Centaurs
1 (3.7%)
Lizardmen
2 (7.4%)
Goblins
2 (7.4%)
Ogres
0 (0%)
Trolls
0 (0%)
Cerberus & Hellhound Pack
2 (7.4%)
Men of  the West
1 (3.7%)
Salgurids - Men of the East
1 (3.7%)
Treants
0 (0%)
Light Elves
0 (0%)
Dark Elves
0 (0%)
Dwarven Bronze Golems
2 (7.4%)
Dwarven War Mammoths
4 (14.8%)
Goblin Titanosaurs
1 (3.7%)
Salgurid War Elephants
1 (3.7%)
Werewolves
2 (7.4%)
more Dwarves (swell the ranks!)
0 (0%)
Wooly Rhino
1 (3.7%)
Mummified Daemon Prince
1 (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: March 29, 2010, 03:44:24 PM

Author Topic: What should I buy/paint after my current batch of Dwarves?  (Read 4207 times)

Offline Spong

• Bookworm
  • We can't stop here...
What should I buy/paint after my current batch of Dwarves?
« on: March 26, 2010, 03:44:24 PM »
Good day to you all :).

I have almost finished painting my current batch of around 20 Black Tree Dwarves. I've told myself I'm not going to buy more miniatures until whatever I'm working on is finished. (Incidentally I have been meaning to post some pictures but it has been so overcast for the last week or so that I cannot capture anything decent :()

I am not sure what to buy next, I have a number of ideas I would like to start but being Mr. Indecisive it seems I cannot choose. In truth, with my Dwarves there aren't enough of any particular troop type (speardwarf, two-handed axedwarf etc.) to make any one cohesive unit at the moment so I do need to expand them. However, I am also thinking I will probably keep my enthusiasm if I vary it up a bit, buy something completely different next and then go back to more Dwarves afterwards.

So what should I get next? The poll above includes pretty much everything fantasy themed  that I have seen and exclaimed: "Ooh shiny! Must buy that at some point!"
With most of them I already have an idea of what role they will play (the exception being the Wooly Rhino from Maidenhead, the only thing I've decided is that it will be ridden by at least one insane berserker, but which faction it will be assigned to I have no idea... yet :P)

So, my fellow LAFers, submit here your thoughts on the matter, if you please. :)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: What should I buy/paint after my current batch of Dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 03:51:03 PM »
Not enough Dwarves to make a coherent unit says one thing to me - adventury-skirmishy games rather than massed battles. So, depending on what you play, I'd say, paint up another 'warband'. Whether all of the options are doable as warbands, I'm not sure (partly because while answering the post I can't see the poll options). But another gang of mixed-weapon troops sounds like a good plan, so your Dwarves will have someone to compete with in small-scale 'party'-type games.

Offline Heyer

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 04:00:48 PM »
Ogres,you never seem to have enough,but not the new warhammer ones,the old ones were the best,lots of character. 8)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 04:29:10 PM »
Go Green - Go Gobbos!

Not enough Dwarves to make a coherent unit says one thing to me - adventury-skirmishy games rather than massed battles.

Praise be to skirmish games so that you can actually get a game without driving yourself mad trying to paint a huge army!

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 04:35:15 PM »
I would suggest the Dwarven War Mammoth as that is painting something different,but still supports the current project your on. ;)

Cheers
Christopher

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 08:26:26 AM »
Elephant beastmen - if only because they always make me smile when I see them  :)

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 09:00:26 AM »
Elephant beastmen, because the idea is so different.  :)

Offline marko.oja

• Scientist
    • My Photobucket
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 11:59:25 AM »
Elephant beastmen? who? where?  ???
Currently painting: Black Hat Three Musketeers range.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 12:34:29 PM »
Exactly my thoughts!

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 01:28:31 PM »
I voted Lizardmen, since you didn't give the option for Kobolds.   

Offline Spong

• Bookworm
  • We can't stop here...
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 01:44:01 PM »
Thank you all for your input so far. Looks like the Mammoths and Elephantmen are neck-and-neck at the moment but I'll let the poll run to the end before making a decision.

@DFlynSqrl: I am actually intending to buy some Kobold miniatures from The Goblin Factory but I'm planning to use them as Goblins instead.

Regarding the Elephant beastmen I had these remarkable specimens in mind (albeit with a spot of tweaking):

The oversized weapons would get changed out for a start. The beasties would be part of a 'Tainted' Salgurid Eastern force.

Mammoths would be from DeeZee with scratchbuilt howdahs. If there's a tie I'll probably suck it up and get both winners :P.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:45:35 PM by Spong »

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 02:38:45 PM »
Ahhh - didn't need to know about Dee Zee minis!! Now I want a Platybeladon for the Barbarian army I haven't got!!  :D

Is Spirit Games a good stockist of Dee Zee stuff?

I've seen the tribal type elephant warriors before but can't remember the company who makes them - really like the look of the first one though with the bronze armour  :-*

Most intriguing...  :D

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 02:48:51 PM »
... Now I want a Platybeladon for the Barbarian army I haven't got!!  :D

lol So many minis, so little time... or money... or space... but, on the other hand, there's no arguing with 'ooh! Shiney!'

@ Spong, I'm glad these will be going towards the 'Salgurid' army as that's what I voted for in the end. Because I didn't know what they were and therefore I was fairly certain I hadn't already seen them plenty of times before.

Are you going to be able to make an Elephant-mutant warband to fight your Dwarves though? Seems like it might be a slightly one sideed battle... picture the scene:

Dwarves sneaking through the undergrowth come upon a party of elephant-mutants; the Dwarves prepare to attack. The Elephant-things choose that moment to sit down. Game over.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 02:55:48 PM »
Dwarves sneaking through the undergrowth come upon a party of elephant-mutants; the Dwarves prepare to attack. The Elephant-things choose that moment to sit down. Game over.

mmm but not if you happen to have the old citadel Dwarf rat-catcher - we all know what pachyderms think of those little wee rodents...  :o

Offline Spong

• Bookworm
  • We can't stop here...
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 02:57:42 PM »
The first one is a Dragonblood miniatures sculpt and the other two are from MSB Toys.

Spirit Games do have DeeZee and they have pics of most of the stuff. Northstar also have them but are missing a few pics - the prices are much the same though.

MSB makes a few other elephantmen, there's also an old Reaper sculpt and one from Impact! Miniatures but for one reason or another I didn't like them as much. I'm also planning on eventually getting some of the MSB Rhinomen but that's for later.

@ Red Orc:  lol that's a fair point. Well there's only going to be the three beastmen, so on the small scale skirmishes they will be outnumbered by the stunties - maybe that evens it up? I don't know, it will be interesting finding out nonetheless. Ultimately though they will be part of a larger army of Salgurids and the Dwarves will have a larger army with mammoths, artillery and golems so I don't think they will be too worried by then! :).

Incidentally 'Salgurid', for anyone who is interested, is a faction that emerged from some modding work I did on the PC game Mount & Blade. They were an Arabic/Saracen style faction officially entitled Al-Salguriyyun, which corrupted into English as Salgurid as with Al-Fatimiyyun = Fatamids and Al-Murabitun = Moors :P. I figured I might as well transfer them into wargaming.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 03:04:28 PM by Spong »