Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:30:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690619
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A return to the Empire - update (4/10) - Abandoned Gatehouse  (Read 85266 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
A return to the Empire - update (4/10) - Abandoned Gatehouse
« on: March 27, 2010, 06:33:34 PM »
After at least 5 years, possibly 7-8, I've finally finished off these empire handgunners that sat partially painted in a box for all those years. Since my painting style and skill evolved since then, these figures ended up somewhat of a hybrid paintjob (old and current). They are in the colour scheme I decided on back in the day, as a nostalgic return to the red, yellow and blue schemes of the early nineties.

The 5 figures:

Couple closer-ups:

Couple from the back:

I think I'll keep painting them for a while, already started work on a Marauder empire ogre and the steve dean forum charity fig.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 02:53:25 PM by white knight »

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Re: A return the Empire
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
"Soggy bottom boys"! =) They look good, and it must've been a load off your shoulders getting them done! =D Good job!
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 08:33:29 PM »
Great stuff - got a bit of a soft spot for these 90s Empire minis - they were the ones my mostly 3rd ed. Orcs used to massacre each week in the little after school club we had going back in the day - much to my old mate's chagrin!

Apart from volley guns and steam tanks - don't like them...  >:(

Love to see the Maruader Ogre - those Empire style fellas were great minis -particularly the one with the large arquebus/cannon!

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 09:20:02 PM »
Love to see the Maruader Ogre - those Empire style fellas were great minis -particularly the one with the large arquebus/cannon!

Here's two I did right before I moved on to another project years ago:

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 10:30:21 PM »
Lovely stuff - no Empire army should be without some hired thuggery like this - love the contrast between the uniforms and the ogres character!

OOh nice PJ too!  :D

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
Re: A return to the Empire
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 11:02:54 AM »
Very cool, I'm a big fan of the perry Empire stuff. It's the stuff I used to paste my brother with when he used my orcs in 3rd then 4th edition. Mind you I pasted him with  my orcs when I fgaced him playing empire.  Scary thing is these are old school now too!

I'm loving the colours, same as the guild members from the war wagon but done your way. The Ogres look great always wanted those, any of the renaissance dwarfs to go with them?

I have a bunch of these old Perry's including the various knights and the plastic halberdiers painted by my 14-15 year old self and a few I have revisited. Perhaps I  should put some on my thread.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 12:07:09 PM »
I have all of the renaissance dwarfs, including the rare and very rare ones (thanks to Svenn for filling some gaps), but they aren't painted yet.

I do have some pictures of the old painted stuff. As you can see, it would need more highlights.

The Knights Panther. They are all metal, some are converted to avoid doubles, the musician has metal legs and a plastic upper body. The foot knight uses bits from the 6th edition footsoldier command sprue and the knights sprue.

The horses all have banners with pseudo-latin rousing phrases on one side and freehand panther heraldry on the other:

The champion for the unite was my most elaborate conversion at the time and used a metal knight with the helmet crest replaced by one from the plastic knights, a banner top added to the horse head and a heroquest orc morningstar for a weapon. I'm still quite fond of it.

The artillery: classic cannon, mortar and hellblaster, all metal (except for the wheels)

Some halberdiers from the Foundry. Musician is a 6th edition plastic drummer (I wanted them all to have matching "dresses").

Some Crossbowmen (DOW):

More halberdiers from the Battlemasters set. The champion is converted from the battlemasters cannon crew. The shields are freehand. I have more but I'll be concentrating on much more interesting figures before I complete this unit  of clones.

Some characters: Two DSA female figures. The foot model had her lantern replaced by a swordhand from the 6th editionsoldier sprue.

The champion of the handgunners I just finished. Guess I should touch him up a little too now:

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 12:28:54 PM »
Excellent stuff - what I said about volleyguns still stands though...  >:( ;)

Love those Knights Panther - always wanted some of these ever since I laid eyes on that beautiful John Blanche painting in the WFB 3rd ed rule book!  :-* Renaissance dwarf pikemen are on the wish list too...

Very neat freehand and scrolls -most impressive!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 12:56:05 PM »
Stunning.

Thantsants, that is one of my favourite Blanche pieces. Funny how people say he's a sh*t painter, but forget about the good stuff like that. Unbelievable!

White Knight, perhaps you could use the new Artizan 'Greatswords' in this army?  :D

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 01:13:51 PM »
White Knight, perhaps you could use the new Artizan 'Greatswords' in this army?  :D

I'm already planning an order for all the artizan landsknecht packs (and I have the complete foundry range too). :D

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 04:49:26 PM »
It was waiting for me when I got home on Friday, the Steve Dean forum charity figure sculpted by Paul Hicks, commissioned by Regulator and I couldn't wait:

(he still needs to be based, but won't get a chance to finish that before another week or maybe two.  :( )

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 05:01:03 PM »
Just finished (minus the base): another classic marauder ogre with greatsword (love this guy):

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »
Another WK's project that I like  :)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 05:33:44 PM »
That is a great mini - stockings are a bit Nora Batty though?!  ;) :D

What kind of bird did he get that feather from...  :o

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 06:16:13 PM »

What kind of bird did he get that feather from...  :o

A bloody big one  lol

Love the old Empire figures. I've got quite a few metal ones now and all these threads with people doing them again has gotten me bitten by the bug  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/