Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:33:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The League is set.  (Read 10521 times)

Offline Ironcladman

• Bookworm
    • Ironclad Miniatures
The League is set.
« on: April 02, 2010, 04:28:39 PM »
Here are the latest recruits for the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Once again From the talented Martin Baker and should be available from next week from the emporium of Ironclad Miniatures, purveyors of fine miniatures to the gentry and like.

Captain Nemo

Skinner

Dr Jekyll

Mr Hyde (35mm tall)

I am sorry to say for those of you who complain about how many figures you are going have to get at a show, I have some bad news for you,
there are more figures to come! ;)
If you don't succeed at first use a bigger hammer!
Visit our website at www.ironcladminiatures.co.uk

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The League is set.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:43:36 PM »

Cool figures, I like them all 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 04:46:34 PM »
Captain Nemo

Argh!
Yes, I am going to bring it up - he doesn't look anything like this in the Novel. Unless, these are based on the (awful) film? In that case I'll forgive you. Just. EDIT: Whoops, the Graphic novel, right. I'll go now. Ignore this comment. Nemo still shouldn't be a silly indian man, though...

On the other hand, I do like the Invisible Man.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:50:08 PM by answer_is_42 »
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline The_Wisecrack

• Mad Scientist
    • Easy Painter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 04:56:32 PM »
answer_is_42 i have to argue, the main image (the 'iconic' if you will) from the graphic novel of captain nemo is an INDIAN man in that exact atire, except that his coat is a bit longer, but if you so wish to have an extremely dull looking coated non indian gentlemen then buy your nemo from elswhere.

a couple of us LIKED the film.

personally i think Martin has done an outsanding job bringing the characters to life.

TW
(sorry to rouse debate)
EZPAINTER.CO.UK/BLOG

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 05:04:33 PM »
Can I be the first to agree that those of us who complain that you're releasing too many good models are going to complain that you're releasing too many good models... again? Aaargh! Still, at least we can order them all in one go!

I can see that Nemo particularly making its way into a good many collections... in fact I feel a fantastical force of North-West Forntiersmen coming on... or maybe some Punjabi Sky-Pirates, but even so. Great work! As soon as finances allow, put me down for some Ironclad grooviness!

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 05:07:54 PM »
answer_is_42 i have to argue, the main image (the 'iconic' if you will) from the graphic novel of captain nemo is an INDIAN man in that exact atire, except that his coat is a bit longer, but if you so wish to have an extremely dull looking coated non indian gentlemen then buy your nemo from elswhere.

a couple of us LIKED the film.

personally i think Martin has done an outsanding job bringing the characters to life.

TW
(sorry to rouse debate)
Yes, sorry, I'm rather a purest when it comes to these things. I wonder where they got the idea for an Indian in the graphic novel?
I stand by my point on the film, though. (Post-WW1 British and German uniforms in the 1890's! Pure ignorance!)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 05:37:20 PM »
It is subtly hinted at in the book that Nemo is not Western and I have no idea where the Indian influence came from, but I like it  :D

Cracking figures there John, I might just have to send one of my minions to go and get some at Salute  ;D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 05:42:10 PM »
I wonder where they got the idea for an Indian in the graphic novel?

From Jules Verne.

Quote from: Jules Verne in "The Mysterious Island", Page 1193
Captain Nemo was an Indian, the Prince Dakkar, son of a Rajah of the then independent territory of Bundelkund.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »
Love the first two.  Never really got into the Jekyll and Hyde idea, for some reason.

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 05:52:40 PM »
From Wikipedia (there used to be a cracking website with annotations of the League graphic novels, but it appears to have disappeared,  :-[) :-

Nothing concerning his past is revealed in the Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, excepting his having reason to hate the countries of the world and his having lost his family at some point in the past.

In The Mysterious Island, it is revealed that Captain Nemo is Prince Dakkar, son of the Hindu Raja of the Kingdom of Bundelkund in India, and also a descendant of the Muslim Sultan Fateh Ali Tipu of the Kingdom of Mysore in India. The latter famously fought a series of wars with the British, employing artillery rockets, which led to the introduction of military rocketry in the west.

He was deeply antagonistic to the British Empire, due to its conquest of India. After the bloody Indian Rebellion of 1857, one of the most devastating wars of the Victorian Era, in which he lost his family and his kingdom, he devoted himself to scientific research and developed an advanced submarine, the Nautilus.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:34:20 PM by Elprez »
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 05:54:19 PM »
Lovely figures by the way, and definitely on my "buy list".  :D

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 05:58:56 PM »
Excellent, extraordinary even. I particularly like Nemo.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 06:00:55 PM »
there used to be a cracking website with annotations of the League graphic novels, but it apears to have disappeared,  :-[) :-

They've been published as books.  The author is Jess Nevins, who has also produced an enormous encyclopaedia of fantastic Victoriana.  He's been working on an encyclopaedia of pulp characters, too, but I don't know if that's out yet.  Monkeybrain Books, I think. 
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 06:03:39 PM »
Thanks Steve. Something else for my "buy list" definitely.

Really loving all the VSF character figures from Ironclad. Keep them coming,  :-*
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:05:39 PM by Elprez »

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 06:04:15 PM »
Fantastic looking miniatures! 8) Always more miniatures to buy,but not always more time to paint them! lol

Cheers
Christopher