Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:38:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690883
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The League is set.  (Read 10520 times)

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
Re: The League is set.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »
I have got Jess Nevins encyclopedia and two of his annotated guides , the encyclopedia is a great book to dip in and out of and the annotated guides to LoEG are interesting to see all the allusions to other litery works in the graphic novels . I think some of his work is still available online . Try here
http://www.enjolrasworld.com/Jess%20Nevins/League%20of%20Extraordinary%20Gentlemen/LoEG%20index.htm

great miniatures by the way , seem as you will not be at salute I will need to order off the  website.

Mors

Offline Mr. Burning

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 06:13:15 PM »
That Nemo is now on the 'must buy list'.

he'll look good on the bridge of an aeronef or sitting in an armoured howdah carried by an armoured elephant (armoured beasts again..............).

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 06:25:59 PM »
Thanks Mors, but I'll definitely be hunting down the books as well.
I love the fact that Alan Moore's references are rarely "throwaway" and I've found the annotations online invaluable when reading the League graphic novels.

I loved the film too, but they didn't even try to follow the plot of the graphic novels, which is fine by me, as I got another adventure for the League. Great fun, but with a lot less depth than Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill's offerings.

And thank you Mr Baker for these magnificent interpretations of the characters.
Wasn't a version of the Nautilus from Ironclad mentioned at one point?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:41:55 PM by Elprez »
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 07:24:34 PM »
From Jules Verne.

Haven't read 'The Mysterious Island', but it's on my list  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 08:48:58 PM »
I am sorry to say for those of you who complain about how many figures you are going have to get at a show, I have some bad news for you,
there are more figures to come! ;)

You swine!  >:(

;)
Love the Nemo and the Jeckyll/Hyde figures. It would be great to have some sort of rule for random transformation. "Oh great! He's turned into Hyde just in time to fight all those nasty aliens. Oh dear, he's changed back to Jeckyll again, just in time to die horribly   lol

Can't wait for the rest!

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 08:53:57 PM »
Splendid figures, like Skinners smoking jacket and hat. Look forward to seeing moore.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 09:26:32 PM »
There's also this page, which I think is supplemental to the one Mors listed, that I found by accident a couple of days ago when a few people were discussing Venusian Parrotmen (I found it by googling 'Parrotmen Borroughs')

http://www.enjolrasworld.com/Jess%20Nevins/League%20of%20Extraordinary%20Gentlemen%202/Notes%20on%20League%20of%20Extraordinary%20Gentlemen%20V2%201.htm

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 11:06:45 PM »
These are cracking! I look forward to adding them to my own League!

Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve (though abig mining drill and some exo-suits would be awesome!).

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 11:53:08 PM »
but I'll definitely be hunting down the books as well.

Reading books is far more enjoyable than reading online , Im sure you will enjoy them when you find them.

I must admit I didnt mind the film at all , it seems to get slated every time its mentioned although i can understand why Alan Moore got a bit upset....its not much like the graphic novels  mind you I think he gets upset quite a bit.

Im not sure how minis of the LoEG I have now, all the Parrooom and Westwind (Jekyll and Hyde) and previously released Ironclad ones. Still more the merrier I say.

Mors
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:58:17 PM by Mors »

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 12:17:40 AM »
Just had a thought, I wonder if Ironclad could get hold of the London Waroom stuff, that would be sweeeet.  ;)

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 12:34:45 AM »
Love these.  Nemo looks great, my favorite of the bunch. I liked the film as well.  I thought it captured the right atmosphere.  I think Alan Moore would be pissed at any movie made from his books, even if God made it.  He's a brilliant writer, but like most "artists" I've encountered a complete ass-hat in other regards. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 12:42:24 AM »
I refuse to use the word artist to say I'm a painter/sculptor/photographer nowadays anyway.

Britney Spears is allegedly an artist, as is every other everyday untalented so and so who thinks they're better than everyone else.

Alan Moore is probably just a grumbly git. The film was alright as a film. The cinematics were cool regardless of whether they fitted his interpretation of the League. Why shackle yourself to an idea you don't like?

The minis are cool, they are science fiction and based on another interpretation. Which I think is fair enough and original.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 12:52:16 PM »
Love these.  Nemo looks great, my favorite of the bunch. I liked the film as well.  I thought it captured the right atmosphere.  I think Alan Moore would be pissed at any movie made from his books, even if God made it.  He's a brilliant writer, but like most "artists" I've encountered a complete ass-hat in other regards. 

The film was poor if you wanted a faithful rendition of the comics. As a standalone, it was a pretty good adventure yarn, with some decent effects and action sequences. I wouldn't have gone to the cinema to see it, but was happy to pay a few pounds for a remaindered DVD.

Sadly it could and  should have been far better - as with so many big-screen adaptations  :(

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2010, 01:20:33 PM »
Very nice, I particularly like Skinner ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2010, 02:53:47 PM »
They look great, the Ironclad range is deffinately getting better with each model, it is good to see quality ranges grow.

I doubt I will be able to fit all into my projects and budget, but some more Ironclad models is deffinately on my list of future buys.

Thanks.