Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:43:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Simple SF House  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
Simple SF House
« on: April 09, 2010, 01:15:23 PM »
.... or factory, workshop, villainous HQ,  etcetera.

I made this in January when I was housebound with a fractured ankle and I needed to do something to alleviate the cabin fever. It was a really quick job, made with junk I had within easy reach. It's pretty crude and slapdash but I'd like to contribute something this week since I haven't got a new LPL entry painted.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
Re: Simple SF House
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 01:34:09 PM »
Very nice!  What is its scale and origin?
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 01:47:39 PM »
It's 28mm- here's a scale shot.

It was the packaging from a Hannah Montana toy that my cousin's daughter unboxed at our house when the family came over for Boxing Day. I spirited it away before the post-festive-season cleanup began.  :)

I found the chimney in a drawer of old plumbing supplies in the garage.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 02:03:58 PM »
Nice. Especially as it's made of crap. I love things made from rubbish, partly because it shows people have imagination, partly because it shows we don't need to buy expensive kits (that I can't afford), and partly because it gives me hope that I can reduce the amount of rubbish in my house with the addition of a few other bits of rubbish and some grey paint!

Nice intergration of chimney with the detail on the packaging. Perhaps you could think about some other detailing for that area - that 'bulge' with the 'pipe' coming up is probably some heat-producing or atmospheric pumping unit, so maye some sort of vent or heat sink device would be appropriate?

I especially like the port-hole windows. I helps give it a semi-industrial, mining-colony type look if you know what I mean; it's probably in a fairly harsh environment, not some gorgeous tropical pleasure-planet.

Anyway, yeah, nice job, oh if only I had some Hannah Montana toys (or, maybe not)!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 02:30:32 PM »

I like it.  I particularly like the colour and layout of the poster in the context of the austere look of the building.

Something about sci-fi scenery made from junk makes it even more evocative than many kit typs to me.  Mostly I suppose because the sci-fi tv and movies that I was reared on made their sci-fi sets from more or less exactly the same stuff.

I will make one suggestion.... the windows and the chimney work very well, but the door lets the piece down.  The addition of a simple cardboard door (possibly with a frame or with a zig-zag, sci-fi split down the middle would make the whole thing a lot more finished looking.

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 03:38:53 PM »
Cheers for the comments, I'm taking it all in!

Cheetor, my original plan was to do as you suggest and build a door from cardboard, but time was ticking away and I rushed to the finish by just drawing the door on with pen (bloody hell, just typing that makes me feel ashamed!)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 03:44:56 PM »
(bloody hell, just typing that makes me feel ashamed!)

lol

Its not too late to fix it.  In fact, as it is still separate, it would be easy to make the door and spray it a different colour before attaching it, a lot easier than trying to paint or draw or whatever when it is attached to the model.

Additionally, you can then pretend that you kept the door seperate deliberately for that purpose, thereby tranforming all "ashamed" feelings into feelings of self-righteous smugness ;)

Edit: for typo.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:44:52 AM by cheetor »

Offline DowVooVoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 11:24:55 PM »
 :-* :-* :-* LOVE IT!!!!