Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:08:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690796
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Mutineer releases  (Read 7938 times)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: New Mutineer releases
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 02:17:51 PM »
My order will be in soon unless I manage to hold out until Triples. :)
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 03:17:55 PM »
Are those Gurkhas by Rob Baker? The hands! ;)
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Ioannis

• Scientist
    • Leuthen Journal
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 03:42:52 PM »
I was wondering who the sculptor might be, too...The leg poses remind me of Mark Simms' sculpting style.

Offline the Mutineer

• Bookworm
  • The devils wind
    • Mutineer Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:30:28 PM »
Gurkhas are by Robbie Baker all the others are Mike Owen

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:33:16 PM »
Those banditti (I assume that's what they are) are great, much character in ll the sets.

Lovely!
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Arcticman

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 06:31:42 PM »
 :-* :-* :-*

Wow! Worth waiting for! My heart says: order a few hundred of each straight away (unfortunately my wallet says: wait for it, mark your target, order a few each month...). So its going to be a good year, lots of mutineer minis in small packets coming to casa de arcticman  lol

By the way; is it easy to do head swaps? I want to do some regiments in shell jacket and havelocks...

Offline the Mutineer

• Bookworm
  • The devils wind
    • Mutineer Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 06:55:42 PM »
:-* :-* :-*

Wow! Worth waiting for! My heart says: order a few hundred of each straight away (unfortunately my wallet says: wait for it, mark your target, order a few each month...). So its going to be a good year, lots of mutineer minis in small packets coming to casa de arcticman  lol

By the way; is it easy to do head swaps? I want to do some regiments in shell jacket and havelocks...

we will have a pack fairly soon Mike will do some during the next greens (highlanders)  Airpipe helmets and if time permits a few kilmarnock cap varients

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 10:54:08 PM »
a few kilmarnock cap varients

Excellent, hopefully these will fit the bill for my Canadian Militia.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 02:06:18 AM »
Most of the figs look really nice in terms of their faces (good character) and such.

That said, I continue to be disappointed with some very basic problems with the equipment. For example, on the British infantry why is the expense pouch in the wrong location on the crossbelts? It doesn't go in the middle but is positioned more towards the waist, slightly off center. The expense pouch is also a bit too big, especially in comparison to the cartridge box, which is too small. In another example, the Enfield muskets on the British troops are still wrong. While they now have the correct number of bands (three), these are very poorly positioned and not at all an accurate reflection of the weapon. I don't mean to moan here but I previously brought this matter to your attention, and even sent you some photos of the Enfield, so there is really no excuse for getting them wrong still. Mike Owen is a talented designer and should be able to get the equipment correct, as this is well documented material. In fact, Mike does get it right. To be specific, on the Indian native figure advancing with an Enfield the gun is spot on, so why weren't the British ones the same. Also, given that the Mutiny in part ignited over the fact that the EIC was seeking to force native troops to use the Enfield (greased cartridge and all), it is very unlikely that a native would be using one, as it was deemed offensive to both Hindus and Muslims.

As for the Gurkhas, while I love good ole Rob Baker to bits (he is a great guy) his style of sculpting it very different to that of Mike Owen. And they don't compliment one another at all. It isn't that one is bad or anything but that there is just no consistency in the styles used. And yes, Rob's slightly larger hands are a dead giveaway of his style. That said, at least he does a good job on the equipment (although he too doesn't get the position of the expense pouch correct, but does get the sizes of it as well as the cartridge box better).

In summary, when I first heard this range was coming out I had a lot of high expectations that I could finally fill in a lot of holes that the Perry's didn't do with their original Foundry range for the IM. Moreover, that these much newer figures would be more modern in style then the Perry's old ones, which was done many moons ago. All that said, I continue to have mixed feelings about the Mutineer range. Some of the figures (like those in the command sets) are great looking figs and really must-haves. The problem is with the rank and file, which suffers from some really obvious issues with the equipment. Finally, switching designers back n' forth is never a good idea...look at Foundry's recent attempt to redo the Zulu Wars and the feedback it has generated for some ideas of the mess it can create.

I sincerely hope that Mutineer won't take my comments here as negative in any way, as this is not my intention. I just hope that they can take the necessary corrective steps to fix such basic issues, so that the lovely characters that Mike / Rob have created can really stand out. And all the equipment issues are so easily remedied, as the research materials are readily available.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 09:52:11 AM »
I am pleased that someone has taken the effort to produce what for me is an exciting new range for an interesting colonial period. As I am looking for toy soldiers of around an inch high to represent forces in semi historical battles I find these are more than fit or purpose. Perhaps they do not pass muster as V&A exhibits but then show me any historical range that does.

Offline the Mutineer

• Bookworm
  • The devils wind
    • Mutineer Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 10:55:27 AM »
Hi Rob

I don't take any comments as negative people either like them  I'm happy with the way things are progressing and many people like them. It's been a big learning curve for me and I find it a bit like politics  for every opinion there are a hundred opposite opinions,  I value them all thanks for yours I don't agree but thats my opinion. Like SVENN said show me a range that  can be proved to be 100% accurate on a toy soldier I'll fly over to California and shake your hand, apart from naked warriors with no weapons  lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

I particularly disagree on the enfields there are many accounts of mutineer snipers using captured enfields to great effect particularly from the Delhi walls, The much discussed bullets never actually went into service they were removed weeks before the mutiny if they were ever actually covered in pig fat no one really knows only educated opinions.  The Enfields were prized rifles to be captured and when used with captured minie bullets were extremely effective giving 300-400 yards to the effective range than the standard brown bess, again like the canteens we disagree I can provide the book refs if you want to research further.

Rob thanks for the feedback

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:38:33 AM by the Mutineer »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 04:17:43 PM »
"You need hands to hold someone you care for
You need hands to show that you're sincere
When you feel...nobody wants to know you
You need hands to brush away the tears..."

Clearly Mr Baker is of that opinion too. On the other hand, I love the way the caps have the tartan scribed in, which is most useful for those of us with unsteady hands.

Badmashes are excellent. I can see some of these featuring on a tabletop near me. As for 99.9% historical miniatures? Take a look at some of the work Alan Marsh has done for Eureka and for Helion.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 07:24:08 PM »
Hi Mutineer,

Thanks for your comments. In regard to...

I particularly disagree on the enfields there are many accounts of mutineer snipers using captured enfields to great effect particularly from the Delhi walls, The much discussed bullets never actually went into service they were removed weeks before the mutiny if they were ever actually covered in pig fat no one really knows only educated opinions.  The Enfields were prized rifles to be captured and when used with captured minie bullets were extremely effective giving 300-400 yards to the effective range than the standard brown bess, again like the canteens we disagree I can provide the book refs if you want to research further.

The above point taken. I would however still liked to see the Native's well sculpted Enfield used for the British troops. Since most sculptors make masters of the weapons (which are time intensive to make) and then recast them in metal to use. It would seem that for some reason this hasn't happened in the range, which is unfortunate.

The key point I am trying to get across is that this is a great range of figs (and a wonderful period of history) but that I just wish some of the obvious defects on the sculpting of equipment (all of which is easily fixed) was actually rectified. I don't expect the figs to be 100% accurate, as anyone who knows about the Mutiny period will be aware that dress regs went out the window with the near breakdown of India caused by the conflict. However, basic equipment, like guns, crossbelts, ammo pouches, and such, were quite standardize in the British and EIC forces, and aren't that difficult to recreate in miniature.

Just to be clear, I am actually not a button/bolt counter type...but I do like my figs and things to be as historically accurate as possible. And also like I said before, Mike / Rob have made some great character figures. I just wish the basic errors could / would be corrected, that's all.

Look forward to seeing you at Salute...don't shoot me until I have bought some of your new releases lol

Offline the Mutineer

• Bookworm
  • The devils wind
    • Mutineer Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 08:08:41 PM »
rob

I'd miss with one of my rifles, just bring a big wallet  lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 08:49:27 PM by the Mutineer »