Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:34:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691156
  • Total Topics: 118377
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Extendable Gaming Tables  (Read 3089 times)

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
Extendable Gaming Tables
« on: April 07, 2010, 03:01:19 PM »
I am planning a new games table for my new Games Room which is nearly ready.

I am looking at an 8'x 4' table which extends to 8' x 6'.

I have decided against side flaps at it stops you sitting at the table when it isn't extended.

My current favourite solution is to have supports which slide out of each side to support an 8 x 1 leaf to extend the table size. (kind of like some bureau's work).

Anyone made anything like this or have any other suggestions on building an extending table that gets wider?

thanks

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
Re: Extendable Gaming Tables
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 04:24:23 PM »
If you go with sliding supports add some sort of leg that folds down. That way the thing won't collapse if someone leans on it. OF course not that I read your post again you are only talking about an extra foot on each side, so the extentions will probably work just fine.

Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

former user

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 06:28:56 PM »
a variant of Your approach would be a table with a central division where You slide the two halfs apart and insert a central extension

I have seen dining tables like this

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 06:36:24 PM »
a variant of Your approach would be a table with a central division where You slide the two halfs apart and insert a central extension

I have seen dining tables like this

That was my other thought (though dining tables don't extend width ways) but I think it'll be the more expensive of the two possibilities.

Mike

former user

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
I see
I thought You wanted to build one.
there are also tables for wallpaper preparation that can be joined in different ways

Online Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 08:40:07 PM »
I have successfully built a table that could be expanded from a 4x8 to a 5x8 by buying a broken table from the second hand store and salvaging the slide mechanism from underneath.

The legs were attached to each 2'x8' side and the middle could then take up to two 1'x8' inserts.

Thhere were problems with the amount of weight placed on the middle of the table when people leaned on it.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 09:25:57 PM »
I have successfully built a table that could be expanded from a 4x8 to a 5x8 by buying a broken table from the second hand store and salvaging the slide mechanism from underneath.

The legs were attached to each 2'x8' side and the middle could then take up to two 1'x8' inserts.

Thhere were problems with the amount of weight placed on the middle of the table when people leaned on it.

That's an interesting idea - thanks!

Mike

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »
I see
I thought You wanted to build one.

My inability to cut wood straight is legendary... so I'm planning on getting a carpenter to put it together to my design.

Mike

Offline jmilesr01

• Librarian
    • lair of the Uber Geek
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 12:03:44 PM »
My table has a hinged 2'x4' section that folds out to increase the playing surface from 8x4 to 10x4.

I initially tried to have fold down legs at each corner of the extension but these proved to be somewhat unstable and prone to being knocked out of line.  I'm sure this is due to my lack of natural grace and fluid movement skills - a situation that is foreign to the majority of gamers - :)

I replace the drop legs with arms that are at a 45 degree angle - this solution is more stable and not prone to being bumped

Given that players can lean on the extension, I used a piano hinge along the entire width - it adds a great deal of strength to the joint.

Good luck
Miles
Miles
http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 06:18:48 PM »
My inability to cut wood straight is legendary... so I'm planning on getting a carpenter to put it together to my design.
If that's the case, I would just go and tell them what it is you would like it to do. 
They will no doubt be able to tell you how it can be done, and probably come up with possibilities you never considered.
Depending on how good the carpenter is, of course. 
- Scott