Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:24:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Militia Standard Bearers  (Read 8376 times)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Militia Standard Bearers
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 05:19:22 PM »
There is certainly an amount of emotional investment in a flag, that's remained a constant from before that Roman threw his legion's Eagle onto the shore to get them out of the boats. Even today they have meaning, so I've no doubt every unit or association would follow their flag or banner into battle at least once. Some martinets might insist their men continue to do so regardless of the dangers that become apparent. Having said that the Spanish continued to use theirs throughout the civil war and I can't imagine anyone carrying on doing that unless the advantages outweighed the disadvantages... just don't ask me to carry it.  :D 

former user

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 11:00:24 AM »
seconded

I also might add that allthough WWII equipment might be available, a Civil war would certainly not involve the masses of firepower from WWII, with equipment and ammo shortage
after all it is a civil war where people fight against each other and not together against a common enemy

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 06:49:09 PM »
Most certainly, at least in the initial stages.

As modern countries infrastructure is geared towards facing an external threat, the fragmentation of this in a civil war does cause shortages and supply problems. The advantage then tends to go to the side that overcomes these problems first. In the SCW the Republic had the manufacturing base, but was fragmented politically, which led to difficulties over distribution of equipment and ammunition. The Nationalists received a mass of equipment from (relatively near) foreign powers, overcoming their short term disadvantage. The English Civil War was similar, in that the Royalists never really overcame the difficulty of bringing in powder and weapons from the continent. The Parliamentarians had control of domestic production and easier import routes.