Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:27:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Goodies to Play with....  (Read 10578 times)

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
Re: New Goodies to Play with....
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 05:27:08 AM »
You mean this?

It does bear a striking resemblance to the Copplestone mini:

"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline SgtPerry

• Mad Scientist
    • Perry's Heroes
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 08:16:54 AM »
I was purusing Web Pages wondering how to spend my monthly miniature allowance when I discovered new figures had been added to the Nightmares line (A recently revived line of old Grenadier Cthulhu/Horror figs).

Thought you'd all like to check them out... :P

(...)
:o
Whoaa, I painted a lot of these investigators as a birthday present for a close friend (and GM) in 1986 ( I think ).

Nevertheless, I fear that they are closer to 25mm than 28mm

Olivier

Offline dreamingleopard

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 03:40:39 PM »
You mean this?

Yes, thanks.  The thing that was throwing me is the hanging scraps under the reaching arm and the angle of the photo shot.  Ignoring the dangling scrap for the moment, all the bandaging seems to follow the right directions.  So I'm thinking this is Copplestone's fig (he used to sculpt for Grenadier), but some graphic artist cut off the hang through either laziness to crop a background out or accidentally by assuming it was a blotch... Or maybe Copplestone remade his sculpt; the Bad Things I figs might be his last greens for Grenadier. 

Did you compare that Copplestone ghost sculpt from Copplestone with Mirliton's UD037 pack?  There are two Grenadier figs missing from the Mirliton pack: the little pillar apparition found in the 207 Nightmares and the M18 ghost (http://recipesrealm.com/wiki/index.php?title=Image:G-dlfbs-2014z.jpg) reused in the 605 Ghosts & Apparitions (http://recipesrealm.com/wiki/index.php?title=Image:G-nm-605.jpg).  So all-in-all, there are 6 Ghosts & Apparitions to be had that are connected to the Nightmares lines.  As far as I can tell from my old catalogues, Grenadier made only two other ghosts:   MM29 Ghost (http://recipesrealm.com/wiki/index.php?title=Image:G-mm-1504b.jpg) and CH10 from the Chill boxed set (http://recipesrealm.com/wiki/index.php?title=Image:G-cn-8501z.jpg).

Here's the Mirliton's, containing two of the original Grenadier "Nightmares" (207 or 605 blisters).  Compare it with the Copplestone Bad Things I pic above:

Why Copplestone would keep only these Grenadier sculpt rights is beyond me.  Perhaps these slipped through his contracts and Mirliton bought the rights to reproduce them (but not to reproduce the molds)?  Not sure I want to know... sounds like a can of worms.  If the pricetags for Copplestone's figs were more in line with Murch's Pulp Figs, I'd buy more of them and the figs work well together.  Anyway... back to the Grenadiers at Mirliton.

Offline dreamingleopard

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 03:44:42 PM »
Sorry... didn't grab the correct url... here's Mirliton's popup:

Offline dreamingleopard

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 03:49:27 PM »
Now looking at the figs side-by-side, I have another theory.  If a handful of artists worked on their greens from a 2-D concept rendering, then there would be several different versions of the same fig.  Perhaps Copplestone's wasn't chosen as the "winning" green.  That would also explain why the two larger Mirliton ghosts are so similar even to each other... and maybe why Copplestone's mummy has that bandage hang.  Same concept source, different sculpts by different artists.

Offline dreamingleopard

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 04:00:26 PM »
I kinda feel bad for the folks who paid big bucks for the antique originals.

I have and I don't.  Think of it like the filtering down of technology.  The rich get it, then it becomes available to the masses.  Besides... outside of the CoC monsters that can't be substituted by figs from RAFM, em4 or Reaper (like Grenadier's Hunting Horror and the much better mi-go), there's only bragging rights to having the Grenadiers.  As for the humans, we have many other sculptors currently working in the Pulp era.

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 05:02:21 PM »
Excellent work, DreamingLeopard !

I just cannot believe the MiGo with bib and fork is available !!   I have been ACTIVELY trying to score that mini for almost thirty years ! 

The Mirilton site is incredibly sucky.  I went through and picked all the packs I wanted with the 'add to cart' button each time, then tried to check out and it then told me my cart was empty.  So I went BACK through, choosing fewer packs this time, but the 'ad to cart' buttons were now called 'buy now'.  Then Mirilton made me sign up giving all my information for an 'account' before I could see the shipping price.  It was awfully high, but I swallowed hard and continued to pay by paypal.  When I saw that they were charging me an ADDITIONAL 1.42 Euros because I chose paypal I gave them the e-Finger and bailed out.  Here's the invoice that scared me off:

Sub-Total: 17,08EUR
Registered Mail (Rate): 18,50EUR
Paypal fee: 1,42EUR
(net: 37,00EUR)
Total: 37,00EUR

Love the minis, HATE the rapacious ordering system. 

Bosco 101, I just emailed you a preorder through your shop. 

Chick
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 05:22:33 PM by chicklewis »
"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

Offline dreamingleopard

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 06:56:24 PM »
Holy Yig.  Lookee what I found tucked away in Mirliton's Barbarians line:

Check out the paint job there, too:
http://www.mirliton.it/popup_add_image.php?imagesID=245

Offline dreamingleopard

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 07:15:01 PM »
Yes, as I recall on my last order there, the buttons for Add to Cart in some places didn't work - you have to actually go to the description page and click the Buy there. I just tried it out and it seems to work now, but maybe the trouble is only for some items and not others.  As for the pricing, it is offset some by bulk discounts.  I expect this will promote distributors picking them up for us here overseas.  I think I'll reply to Mirliton with the url for this whole thread so they can see the comments.

Holy Yig...

Forgot to tell you what it was... and to give the page:
Shapeshifter Shaman  [BA008]
http://www.mirliton.it/product_info.php?pName=shapeshifter-shaman

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 12:05:36 PM »
 :o :-*
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 02:38:58 PM »
Does Mirliton have a distributor in the USA?
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline ZenWired

• Librarian
    • A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »

I asked the same question on the TMP boards a couple of months back, and apparently the answer is: "no." Well, there are a couple of folks who have been known to stock Mirliton in the past, but their current status is questionable. Here's a link to that thread: The Miniature's Page
My RPG blog: A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
My miniatures gaming blog: A Hard Won Thing

"You fool, Warren is DEAD!"

Offline dreamingleopard

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 04:20:12 AM »

Mirliton USA: http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=56615&ck=
(They use the Mirliton site in Italy as the reference for the figs)

After looking more at the new Mirliton releases, I've identified many more of them.
My report here is imminent... check here tomorrow.

Offline ZenWired

• Librarian
    • A Rust Monster Ate My Sword
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 05:59:29 PM »
Mirliton USA: http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=87&subpageid=56615&ck=
(They use the Mirliton site in Italy as the reference for the figs)

After looking more at the new Mirliton releases, I've identified many more of them.
My report here is imminent... check here tomorrow.

Just an FYI: I tried contacting these guys before posting on TMP, but their contact e-mail is no longer valid. (This would be one of those "questionable status" folks I mentioned in my previous post.)

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 06:17:41 PM »

The guy on the right is from their shadowrun series, next to him I would suggest a Metal Magic lady?