Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:03:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686482
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "C.Hi.M.P.s" - Monkey Cops  (Read 5303 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
"C.Hi.M.P.s" - Monkey Cops
« on: April 19, 2010, 07:43:07 PM »

Officers Wilcox, Estrada, Baker and Poncherello from the Chimpanzee Hirsute Maglev Patrol are on the case

I recently traded for a couple of sets of toy flying saucers from the "Planet 51" movie (thanks JollyBob!).  The saucers are pretty titchy and the only figures that I had that I thought might be able to squeeze into the cockpit were some space chimps.  And so, a project was born.

The photography is pretty much in focus, but riddled with shadows and glare.  I hope that it is still possible to see what is going on anyway.

Judge Dredd supervises a sting operation in "The Jungle" by the CHiMPs. Perps Dr Fossey and Spank were apprehended and subsequently charged.

The chimps are Mega Minis with cop hats from Heroclix figures.  I had fun painting these guys up.  As I still have a few of those space chimp figures I imagine that they may follow suit and form a small force of public servants.

There was also a pair of saucer Jeeps that came with the patrol saucers.  I hope to get a couple of apes into those too, maybe Eureka figures this time :)

A close up of one of the saucers.  I didnt really do almost any paint work on the saucers, just a tiny bit of tidy up to the factory job here and there (and as usual, when the photo is blown up to this size a few other minor issues become apparent). 

I was tempted to add a few things like a shine to the various lights etc but I didnt want to take from the pristine, 1950's, Car 54 Where Are You? look, so I left well alone.

Comments and criticisms all welcome as usual :) 

Online anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
Re: "C.Hi.M.P.s" - Monkey Cops
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 07:45:12 PM »
watched Planet 51 the other day... thought the jeeps were great... off to look at ebay...

Online JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »
Sodding brilliant. They look fantastic, and you got them done so quick too!

Haven't even started mine...  :(

Really top job.  8)

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 07:50:35 PM »
Looking for a set of rules that adaptable for different genres.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 08:05:36 PM »
watched Planet 51 the other day... thought the jeeps were great...

I really liked the look of the movie when I saw it, but the characterisation and execution of the story while not bad as such, was very pedestrian.

It wasnt helped by the fact that I watched Kung Fu Panda directly afterwards, and that is nine types of awesome  8)

But the Planet 51 visual aesthetic was very nice :)

off to look at ebay...

and...

Cool, found some here
http://www.toywiz.com/planet51policecaratv.html

If any of you guys can track down some of the vehicles from the other Planet 51 sets then I would love to get my hands on a few.  There is apparently a tank and a VW van/saucer plus a couple more.  I would love to get a whole set together, all populated with chimps obviously.

Sodding brilliant. They look fantastic, and you got them done so quick too!

Haven't even started mine...  :(

Really top job.  8)

Thanks JB.  I have exams coming up soon.  I find that there is nothing like dodging study to make me productive in the hobby department ;)

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 09:08:36 PM »
Glorious.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 09:35:05 PM »
Absolutely. Those future-chimp dudes are very cool indeed, and it's very appropriate that you should have Dredd in there as I'd want mine for MC1. Nice one all round!

Offline Puuka

• Mad Scientist
  • The Deputies come
    • Shaggy Puuka Dice Bags and Accessories.
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:54:03 PM »
I really liked the look of the movie when I saw it, but the characterisation and execution of the story while not bad as such, was very pedestrian.

It wasnt helped by the fact that I watched Kung Fu Panda directly afterwards, and that is nine types of awesome  8)

But the Planet 51 visual aesthetic was very nice :)

and...

If any of you guys can track down some of the vehicles from the other Planet 51 sets then I would love to get my hands on a few.  There is apparently a tank and a VW van/saucer plus a couple more.  I would love to get a whole set together, all populated with chimps obviously.

Thanks JB.  I have exams coming up soon.  I find that there is nothing like dodging study to make me productive in the hobby department ;)

The site I posted had some. I was just posting these cars. They are listed down below.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 07:48:07 AM »
Glorious.

Very kind.  The CHiMPs were one of those serendipitous projects that proved to be entertaining to work on for a few days.  I am glad that you got a kick out of them too :)

Absolutely. Those future-chimp dudes are very cool indeed, and it's very appropriate that you should have Dredd in there as I'd want mine for MC1. Nice one all round!

Thanks.  I have the Gangs of Mega City 1 Ape Gang (amongst some other space monkeys) waiting for their turn on the painting table.  They should be a fun foil for the CHiMPs in a few games.

I have this plan to game Planet of the Apes at some stage too. 
Obviously the CHiMPs dont look exactly like the movie apes (except maybe a bit like the guys at the Lincoln Memorial at the end of the remake), but I dont think that that will stop me from crash landing a few astronauts into a futuristic citysc(ape) at some point.

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »
Quality stuff, love that Judge Dredd fig too

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 09:04:55 PM »
 lol

Which one is Eric Estrada?

Completely ridiculous, yet beautifully done and highly desirable  :-*

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 09:20:24 PM »
Brilliant stuff! lol

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 08:51:49 AM »
Quality stuff, love that Judge Dredd fig too

Thanks.  I painted Dredd in 2002 or so and to a somewhat higher standard than the CHiMPs.  There is a larger but still not perfect photo of it here if you are interested.

Which one is Eric Estrada?

Eric is the leftmost guy on the ground wielding a pistol.  As the intention when I painted the figures up was to have mounted and unmounted versions for gaming purposes, the guy in the rightmost saucer is also Eric. 

As I will inevitably end up using the four models together at some point I figured calling that guy Ponch would reduce confusion.  Well, maybe a tiny bit ;)

Completely ridiculous, yet beautifully done and highly desirable  :-*

Thanks. 

I think that the CHiMPs ridiculous nature lends itself to a few gaming arenas:

• Pulp-sci fi in the Buck Rogers stylee
  • Planet of the Apes
  • Super hero environments often include hidden ape cities and ape planets
  • "The Jungle" is the ape ghetto in MC1
  • Pulp sci-fi often includes devolution ray guns of which these guys could be the unfortunate victims
  • The Doctor frequently runs into cat-people and the like. Intelligent chimps make even more sense than that.

Lots of gaming opportunities there I think.

Not that I am trying to defend their ridiculousness of course, as that would be absurd :)

Brilliant stuff! lol

Thanks!

Now that they are finished for a while, I might be finally able to get that theme tune out of my head...