Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:10:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Journal of deceased Captain Edmund P. Humphrey - 1897  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Death

• Assistant
    • www.dicedogs.com
The Journal of deceased Captain Edmund P. Humphrey - 1897
« on: April 14, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »
The Journal of deceased Captain Edmund P. Humphrey - 1897

My dearest Ann,  the most dire of situations has befallen our once glorious expedition.  I fear that this may be the last time I write to you.  When a man is on the precipice of death he realizes what is most dear to him. I am a fool leaving you - my beloved, and little Eddie on a quest for fortune and glory which now brings nothing but endless sorrow.  I fear I may never see you again.
 It is imperative that the events which took place here are told so that the crown knows what we are up against before they send more children in a soldiers uniforms to die in this inhospitable hell they call the dark continent.  If my journal somehow is delivered into your most precious of hands please see this record of events reaches our lifelong friend Colonel Harris.  Three days ago our expedition was camped outside of a local tribe on the eastern area of the Congo territory known to our troops as ‘South Dublin’.  The local tribe was very distrustful of us as many of the indigenous people here have never seen a white man.  To make matters worse, the chief’s pregnant wife was ill with fever adding to the already uneasy feeling that our arrival was a curse upon the tribe.  The expedition’s stubborn physician, Dr. Henry Boddington, a shrewd man and even worse an idealist saw fit that he have an audience with the chief.   He successfully persuaded the savage into allowing him to treat his wife and unborn son.  God damn Boddington, the fool!  His treatment was disastrous and in one fell stroke the chief had lost his wife and child in a single night.  We have been on the run ever since.  We are taking refuge in a camp run by Arab slavers.  Detestable men!  I am now cursed with choosing between the lesser of these two evils. The devils at our backs or the devils who give us shelter?  Half of the expedition is suffering from malaria or some type of fever and cannot go on running any longer. Alas, I had no choice.  The queen’s troops have now thrown their lot in with slavers! Oh the shame I bring to the Empire! I fear this is end. I hear hundreds of the devils beating spear to shield at this very moment! This is goodbye my love. Kiss little Eddie for me and see he becomes a proper gentlemen.

Love Always
-Edmund

The Pygmies Ambush!

Fight to the Finish!

We used "In the Heart of Africa" Rules.  I cant express how much i love this game!

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: The Journal of deceased Captain Edmund P. Humphrey - 1897
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:40:12 PM »
Thanks for posting those Joe!

As you can see, we're still in the process of painting up the figures, but we ran another game last night.

This time a small British Colonial force (3 White men, 8 soldiers, 8 askaris) was trying to reach the Turkish Slaver (10 Askari, 10 Musketeers) position to hold off the Southern Congo tribes (about 34 spearmen, 20 warriors, 16 pygmies).

A few things did my troops in:

1) My Askari refused to move. They ended up falling well behind my soldiers so that when #2 occurred, I was screwed.

2) A pygmy ambush! 16 pygmy archers sprung out between me and the huts. They shot 5 of the 8 soldiers. I was able to rout them off the board with concentrated fire, but the damage was done.

3) VERY poor die rolling for both the slavers and my white men. I never saw so many 1s and 2s.

But the game was great fun. We tried out some "animal" rules as well.

The Hippos moved 1d6" in a random direction at the end of each turn. If they contacted a unit, the unit had to take a morale test. My Askari failed theirs when they were contacted (luckily it was before combat was close) and a unit of African spearmen made theirs.

I like the inclusion of this random element. I think we'll incorporate more of it into the game. So, expect to see something in print at some point in the future as I look to expand the rules.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

former user

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 04:27:06 PM »
awesome table methinks :-* :-*

I did not fail to notice the asian influence already showed in Africa in 1897  :D
As to the unpainted miniatures - well, sometimes gaming is more important and provides motivation to paint - I don't mind about unpainted miniatures, what the hell.

Could someone explain how the river was made please? I find it a very interesting alternative

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 04:57:57 PM »
The buildings were added last minute. THey came from someone who brought them to show off for the back of Beyond games. We decided to add them to the mix.

The river pieces belong to the store and I can tell you roughly how they were made, though not specifics. They are clear lucite/plastic sheets that were cut to river shapes. Blue paint was put on the bottom and then sand was added and painted for the river bank. We had a hodge-podge of pieces last night as we are really still running these as pick-up games so not all the terrain is completed.

former user

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 05:48:41 PM »
never mind the unfinished business :)

what kind of paint is it?
spray/Brush?

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 06:00:03 PM »
I do not know. I will try and find out next Tuesday when I am back at the store. My guess is a blue spray first, then possibly additional brush paint later on.