Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:13:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Magnificent Sven  (Read 36204 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Magnificent Sven
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2013, 07:48:49 AM »
Looks fantastic, you need some dwarves to fight them  ;)

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2013, 09:36:28 AM »
 Looks like a great project steve.Might be quite heavy when complete.Will be very impressive I bet.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2013, 10:23:10 PM »
Cheers Deafnala - I'll endeavour not to re-enact the final scenes of Scarface when I'm casting my next set of blocks  lol

Welcome aboard Damien - most of that lot - the Amazons, Slann slaves, etc - were LPL entries from last year - it gave the project a real good kick up the arse in terms of painting. Been slacking a bit since then really  ::)

It might be a while yet Faust  ;)

Sorry to hear that matey - Nose hair trimmer - that's a really unsubtle hint that  lol

At least it wasn't gymn membership or something like that  ;)

Looks fantastic, you need some dwarves to fight them 

Touche!

Thanks Andy - It's going to be a bit of a beast but if I build it up in stackable floors it shouldn't be too hard to transport around if needs be.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2013, 10:30:47 PM »
Nice!

How easy are those hirst moulds to use?

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2013, 12:23:09 PM »
Sorry to hear that matey - Nose hair trimmer - that's a really unsubtle hint that  lol
Yeah, in her defence I have to say it was on my wishlist. The old one was on the fritz, it didn't trim the hairs. It pulled them out.  :'(

At least it wasn't gymn membership or something like that  ;)
Grymn membership would be more fitting. Short, bald and stocky. =)
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2013, 02:58:54 PM »
On the nose Hair Implement of Torture: if it does ear hair, I'm jealous; re, I'm starting to look more like the Easter Bunny than Santa....this is not a positive development.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
Re: The Magififcent Svenn
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2013, 03:11:07 PM »
Well thought I'd paint up the inspiration for my purchase of this scenario while I wait for it to come through the post - Juggo Jorikson!

As I know very little about the characters and plot apart from it involving a steam powered paddle boat, high tech equipment, the Slann  >:D, and is obviously set in Lustria, I'll shut up and show some pics...

Haven't forgotten about Orc's Drift - Juggo will be making an appearance at Ashak Rise with the rest of the gold diggers!
Nice miniature but i really love the background. What is that! Did you paint it yourself? It looks totally jungle and just what i am looking for.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2013, 07:33:01 PM »
Dead easy Adam - once you've got it all set up and worked out a good consistency for your plaster. I hope to get churning out a mould's worth of blocks each day so I have enough to start building once I've worked out some dimensions.

It pulled them out. 

No pain - no gain. At least not if you're a member of the Grymm club  lol

Deafnala - embrace the ear hair - I'm sure there must a society somewhere on the planet that venerates it!  ;)

Thanks Legion but I can't claim it as my own. I believe its a background painting from a certain animated version of the Jungle Book that I came across searching for jungle paintings on google images.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2013, 07:59:30 PM »
Deafnala - embrace the ear hair - I'm sure there must a society somewhere on the planet that venerates it!  ;)
I hear there's a chap in York passing his ear hair off for sideburns!

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2013, 04:57:29 PM »
Ahem - those have been carefully cultivated with the finest manure for many a year I'll have you know!  lol

Well this post has been a long time in the writing! I had the designs drawn up some time ago and have been cracking on with the build since then. Unfortunately a lack of a scanner at home and literally not having a minute to myself at work has meant that I haven't had a chance to scan in my somewhat colourful plan.

Anyway, for what its worth here it is in technicolour!

As you can see I'm going for a staged build with each floor as a separate element. That way I can stack up the Shrine to have an impressive looking building and when the action spreads to multiple floors, they can be split up and laid side by side on a separate table to allow game play to continue.

Here's the floor plans as included in the Shrine of Rigg scenario on the Second Citadel Compendium.

The Ground Floor - actually its a basement level with a side and back entrance. This floor houses the armouries, storerooms, Koka Kalim guardrooms and dorms and Mother Samantha's offices.

I intend to carve a rocky outcrop out of pink insulation foam (£5 for a massive slab at B&Q by the way!) that will be part of the base for the building. This will go all around the Shrine in the hatched out areas you can see in the pic below.

Because of the sloping walls the ground floor has to be rather large - for every 3" of wall height you lose 1/4" of floor space on the floor above. This meant I had to chop the piece of 6mm plywood I'd bought into two - and actually as the thing is going to be rather heavy it'll be a bit more portable in two sections! The partly built section is the front of the Shrine and you might just be able to make out the outline of the rear of the building drawn out on the sheet of ply stood up in the background.

A few more closer views of what 5kg (there's a load more bricks all bagged up that I don't need yet!) of Crystacal R can make.

The ladies seem fairly happy with the work on their new gaff so far...

At the moment I've been arranging the bricks so that the Egyptian symbols are on the outside as the walls of the whole of the ground floor will be buried behind the rocky outcrop. I think I'll have to alternate which way they're facing on the upper floors - don't think they'll look too out of place?

Bearing in mind that this is only half of the ground floor and that there'll be another five floors above I'd better double the slaves' working hours and break out the bullwhips...

At least some of the upper floors are confined to the towers which have a slightly smaller footfall.

I hope to follow the plans as closely as possible although the squared off bricks that come in the mould have loads of Egyptian symbols and will look out of place for the interior walls for the rooms. I'll have to have a ponder about what to do about them. There are some likely looking 1/4 inch wide blocks on the Egyptian tomb mould that are unadorned and look like they'd make decent interior walls, but that does mean forking out for another mould.

Anyway, here's the rest of the floor plans -

First floor - the main temple area housing the statue of the Goddess Rigg. Also on this floor are various anterooms, priestesses' dressing rooms and Mother Samantha's study.

Second Floor - The Great Chamber or meeting room as well as Mother Samantha's private quarters and the Shrine's strongroom - Mmmm lots of gold here!

Third floor - The library and reading rooms and rooftops of the smaller towers at the front of the building - lots of roof top action here!

Fourth and Fifth floors - these are the top two floors of the two larger rear towers. One is a store room and the other a watchroom.

Actually having read the descriptions of the floors a little more carefully it seems that the third floor of the forward towers and the fifth floor of the rear towers are in fact just details of what is on their rooftops, which I'd have modelled in anyway while building the floor below! My build just got a little smaller, which is no bad thing! Mind you removable roof tops will be a must and I think I'll include a wall around them - much like castle ramparts but without the castellation of course.

The other thing to puzzle over is how to make the floors interlocking but stable so they can stand on their own and what to use as a base for each floor. I'm leaning towards something thin and light like plasticard as the walls and floor will provide the structural strength while the plasticard won't be too thick and show up as an unsightly layer in the exterior of the walls.

Luckily my next order of 25kg of Crystacal made it through the snow so work should resume once I've given the slaves a good whipping!

I wonder whether I'm going a bit over the top with this whole temple thing...

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2013, 06:50:44 PM »
 :o

That's a big honking shrine there, buddy!

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2013, 07:07:15 PM »
Less posting and more casting! Can't wait to see this finished.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2013, 07:07:48 PM »
Looking good.

Tony

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2013, 07:39:17 PM »
It looks to be a VERY IMPRESSIVE project...the Little Ladies look pleased with how things are progressing. My only problem with it is now I have Steve Martin's King Tut running through my head:
He could have won a Grammy
Buried in his jammies
King Tut.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2013, 08:06:28 PM »
It's bigger than I thought it would be.

I had to build this myself, once upon a time, but never had anything convenient to build the walls from.

I rememer doing the calculation about the different sizes of the floors, but can no longer remember what the differences were (it being nearly 30 years ago that I was trying to work it out). Looking at your schematic, it looks like your walls need to slope inwards at much more than 1/4". The small towers are 9" at their base for instance, but only 5" at the top (the 'floor' of the Third Floor/4th level). If 1st level =9" and 4th level =5" that implies that 2nd level should be 7.66" and 3rd should be 6.33". Either that, or if your slopes are 1/4" per 3" of height, each level needs to be 16" high - leading to a total height of 64.5" (5'4.5"), plus the depth of the base - four 16" levels and a 1/2" parapet...

Maybe I'm missing something here. Apologies if this all wrong and I just haven't grasped how your engineering is working.