Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:11:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686468
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Magnificent Sven  (Read 36107 times)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
Re: The Magnificent Sven
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2013, 01:59:50 AM »
Thanks all - its certainly going to be a big undertaking. Almost a gaming table in itself!

My only problem with it is now I have Steve Martin's King Tut running through my head

So have I now I've looked it up  lol

Red Orc - my mistake  ::) - its actually 1/4 inch lost for each 1 1/2 inches of height. With each floor being 3 inches high, I lose 1/2 inch on the floor above.

In fact my plan is still slightly wrong as I've knocked off 1" per floor. Also I'd originally taken the 3rd floor of the smaller front towers and the fifth floor of the rear towers to be another room, when in fact its only the rooftops being represented in the original floor plans. I'll just be adding them in as removable rooves with some kind of decorative non-sloping 1/2 height wall around the edges and hatches for access in and out.

I think that what's confusing me is that one edge of the towers won't be sloping in. I reckon that the front towers will now be 9" tall (3 storeys) with perhaps a 2" parapet added on top of that -and that the rooftop space will be 6 1/2inches wide and 9 1/2 inches deep. The rear towers will be 15 inches high (5 storeys), again with a 2" parapet on top. The rooftop this time will be 9 1/2" wide and 10 1/2" wide.

I think...  o_o

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2013, 02:14:32 AM »
Love this :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2013, 09:52:09 AM »
Cheers Blackwolf!

Here's a question - does anyone know where I can lay my hands (easily?!) on cheap replicas of this kind of Aztec statuary.

I've looked at a few pet stores' websites for fish tank ornaments and other than chance encounters in curio shops or overpriced ornaments on ebay I'm left scratching my head...

Oh yeah and it can't be more than 6" tall so it'll fit in my Shrine!

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #153 on: January 27, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »
With a little luck you might find some cheapo jewellery on ebay that would work for smaller statues at least.
sanity is for cowards

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
I think Scotia Grendel has some aztec-stuff  ;)

Offline Donpimpom

• Mad Scientist
    • Tabletop Fantasy
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2013, 11:36:13 AM »
does anyone know where I can lay my hands (easily?!) on cheap replicas of this kind of Aztec statuary.
I would like to know that also.
I love precolumbine art and I'm always looking for mesoamerican replicas (cheap ones), not for gaming, but I only found expensive museum-shop-like replicas.
If you allow me a suggestion ( and a bit of shameless self promotion ) for an aztec sanctuary i would try to catch something similar to this excellent piece exhibited at the precolumbine art museum of barcelona, IMHO it will make a great "evil god".

The museum store haven't a replica of this piece  :(
In fact the museum and the store are now closed

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #156 on: January 27, 2013, 12:11:21 PM »
I know there are Aztec replicas available as tourist items in Mexico You might try PMing magokiron; he's a Forum member, a resident of Mexico City, & a FINE FELLOW...you might be able to work out an exchange.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2013, 12:19:25 PM »
Amazing

You might pick up some bits and bobs at the British Museum Shop?

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »

Red Orc - my mistake  ::) - its actually 1/4 inch lost for each 1 1/2 inches of height. With each floor being 3 inches high, I lose 1/2 inch on the floor above.

In fact my plan is still slightly wrong as I've knocked off 1" per floor. Also I'd originally taken the 3rd floor of the smaller front towers and the fifth floor of the rear towers to be another room, when in fact its only the rooftops being represented in the original floor plans. I'll just be adding them in as removable rooves with some kind of decorative non-sloping 1/2 height wall around the edges and hatches for access in and out.

I think that what's confusing me is that one edge of the towers won't be sloping in. I reckon that the front towers will now be 9" tall (3 storeys) with perhaps a 2" parapet added on top of that -and that the rooftop space will be 6 1/2inches wide and 9 1/2 inches deep. The rear towers will be 15 inches high (5 storeys), again with a 2" parapet on top. The rooftop this time will be 9 1/2" wide and 10 1/2" wide.

I think...  o_o

OK; so a 3" level height will produce a floor-plan reduction of 1/2". But according to the different sizes of floor-plans (just going by the corner towers at the 'front', the small towers) there needs to be a 1.33" reduction per level height.

Essentially, the slope of your blocks is determining the size of the levels, instead of the size of the levels determining the slope of the wall. Do you get the problem I'm outlining here, or am I just manufacturing problems that don't exist?

Also with a 2" parapet, your Amazons won't be able to see over the top...

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:48:07 PM by Red Orc »

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »
Thanks Ink - I think that may be a good bet.

I'd forgotten about those bits Comsquare - think I'll be putting an order in  :D

Very nice artwork Donpimpom - that certainly would look at home in the shrine  8)

Cheers Deafnala - I may get in touch, thanks for the tip!

Binman - I shall check it out.

Red Orc - oops, see what you mean about the parapet. I was in a rush to take the dogs out this morning and hadn't thought it through!  ::)

I see what you're getting at - might cause me problems as I go up and try to lay the 1" square paving slabs for the floors.

Essentially, the slope of your blocks is determining the size of the levels, instead of the size of the levels determining the slope of the wall.

This was pretty much how I was working - calculating back from a top floor size I wanted to see how big the groundfloor should be.

As long as the blocks continue to line up and fit together without too much sanding down/bodging I'll be happy  :D

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2013, 08:36:19 PM »
No worries mate - I'm making problems that don't exist.

I am agog to see the Shrine in all its glory - obviously, I've been wanting to see it built for about 25 years now!

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2013, 01:11:05 AM »
The other thing I forgot to mention was that I was leaving the walls sloping in on the interior - no spacers to make them vertical - this is what will potentially give some problems with squeezing the paving slabs in for the flooring.

Might leave some fun hiding places behind wall-hung tapestries too!

Nice diagrams by the way - How did your build go - don't suppose there were any pics?

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2013, 08:11:37 AM »
I could never find a way of overcoming the engineering problems, so there never was a build I'm afraid, let alone any pics. Endless schematics with different level heights and profiles of the temple though. Drawn by hand as this was long before computers could do that kind of stuff.

I did run it as a (O)D&D campaign back in the mid-80s, but we just did as a pencil-and-paper game. That way, any problems of engineering were in the players' heads, I did't have to worry about the precise angles of the walls!

My diagrams show sloping internal walls - the 'spacer' (no idea what it should be called really but figured what it was for was explicable enough) was just to make the internal wall vertical for the top level - I guess when you're standing at a parapet, it makes it easier if there isn't a gap by your knees...

EDIT: because I meant 'angles' of the walls, not 'angels'...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:40:48 PM by Red Orc »

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2013, 07:43:43 PM »
Yeah, not many angels to be found in this temple!

I bet the D&D campaign must have been a blast - good way round the build problems.

I thought you had cleverly figured in the "spacer" on each floor and calculated how it affected the measurements of each level - see what you mean about the parapet. I have some straight-backed decorative blocks that should do nicely to top the tower off as a parapet.

I reckon a bit of sanding down on the paving slabs for the floor so that they fit flush with the slope of the wall should avoid any major problems of small variations in measurements.

Back to the casting...  o_o

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2013, 04:27:44 PM »
At last an update on this long running project!

Not on Rigg's shrine - unfortunately the last batch of slaves didn't last too long and although half of the ground floor is now complete (pics to follow at some point), work has stalled a little...

Instead I present to you, fresh from the field of battle that is the Lead Painter's League over on the LAF, the Stoutbacks. Unfortunately these noble Norse warriors didn't win against the rather fine Norman knights they were pitted against but no matter - I have the full set and they are painted!

If you haven't already seen Harry's fine efforts or aren't well up on 2nd ed. scenarios (what's the matter with you?!) then read this.

The team I entered for the LPL include a couple of none Kremlo scenario models -

Standard Bearer - don't know the manufacturer as I picked him up second hand but he's a preslotta

As the the scenario invloves a Norse tribe who has, by a curious trick of fate, ended up with a Slann as their Chieftain I went with a frog design for the banner and many of the shields. My colour choice was largely inspired by Kremlo's Bluespinespick heritage.

The other none scenario model is this musician from the later slotta range of Norsemen from Citadel - the first round of the LPL was a bonus round with extra points for going with the command group theme, so I thought it best to include a srtandard and horn blower in case it wasn't clear who they were to any heathens unfamiliar with old Games Workshop scenarios!

More blue frogs!

So on to the Stoutbacks.

First up are the two younger sons of Harold Stoutback - the former Chieftain of the tribe, who's death on a hunting trip and curious affection for the orphaned Kremlo plunges the brothers into the strange and not entirely welcome position of losing their inheritance to a frog!

Ben - the older of the two.

And Sven

There's not much info on the rest of the gang who set sail to take their revenge on Zapotec. Nice little set of minis though!

This is the mini that held me up on this little project - I wanted to paint them all up together but he proved rather elusive on ebay for a good year or so!

This chap is an odd looking fellow - not sure I've painted him right with his short trousers!

Anyhow, now that I've scratched that little itch and got the set completed I couldn't resist recreating the original catalogue pics.

As for fitting them into the Magnificent Sven project - here's a link to the scenario I came up with which should see them bolstering Sven's ranks or becoming lobotomised slaves for the Slann!