Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:44:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victory Force Random Zombie Pack?  (Read 4864 times)

Offline Crudeboy

• Librarian
Victory Force Random Zombie Pack?
« on: April 16, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
  So I'm taking my first tentative steps into zombie wargaming. I have survivors picked out (two to represent the missus and myself, and some SWAT team types) but am shopping around for a good load of decent zombies.

Having read here and a few other places that the big Wargames Factory bundle isn't really all that great, I happened across Victory Force's random 25-zombie pack. They're a bit more expensive than the aforementioned plastic zeds, but from the pictures on the site they really don't look all that terrible in comparison. I was just curious if anyone else has bought, or has seen, these and if they're worth dropping $30+ for.

http://www.victoryforce.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VFM&Product_Code=039901&Category_Code=specials

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: Victory Force Random Zombie Pack?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:30:36 AM »
  So I'm taking my first tentative steps into zombie wargaming. I have survivors picked out (two to represent the missus and myself, and some SWAT team types) but am shopping around for a good load of decent zombies.

Having read here and a few other places that the big Wargames Factory bundle isn't really all that great, I happened across Victory Force's random 25-zombie pack. They're a bit more expensive than the aforementioned plastic zeds, but from the pictures on the site they really don't look all that terrible in comparison. I was just curious if anyone else has bought, or has seen, these and if they're worth dropping $30+ for.

http://www.victoryforce.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VFM&Product_Code=039901&Category_Code=specials

Well look like a good range for fillers, don't have them personally and of course you need more than just fillers. Take a look at my thread for a selection of miniature ranges.

And yes the issues with those plastics are well know. You can still use GW plastics, (scale issues not withstanding) and Mantic Games are able to release their zombies which I understand from the guys themselves will lend themselves very well to modern settings too.

Also don't be afraid to kitbash, so get those victory force ones, and a pack of zombie heads from westwind games (secrets of the third reich wierd war) and get creative.

Also take a look a Papa Midnight's stuff, civilians make great zombies with just a creative head or leg twist and a suitable PJ.

Good luck.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 11:54:54 AM »

I havent seen those Victory Force zombies first hand, but they look like good value to me.   I would like to get my hands on some of those.

A better bet than the Wargames Factory figures for sure.

Does anyone know of Victory Force stockists in Europe?

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 12:04:38 PM »
I'd use those as fillers anytime.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 01:46:38 PM »
Horrorclix did some very nice zombies and they are easy to convert if youre into that. They are also cheap and are easily removed from those stupid bases.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 04:06:54 PM »
Horrorclix did some very nice zombies and they are easy to convert if youre into that. They are also cheap and are easily removed from those stupid bases.

Unfortunately the HC figures are on the large side. I bought a Zombiesmith horde to start of my masses, definitely some filler but some gems as well, my personal favourite being King Zombie, but then I'm a Rob Zombie fan.

http://www.zombiesmith.com/products/zombacalypse

It's a bit out of date but until Commander Vyper, Akula and other zombie nuts get a Frothers showcase together, this site is quite useful:

http://fgminis.blogspot.com/2006/10/modern-day-zombies.html

Fortress figures are no more but Mississinewa now produce their zombies.
I've no doubt C. Vyper has mentioned Studio miniatures in the other thread, and Kingzombie produce some zombies in hazmat suits.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 06:26:53 PM »
I've never seem the Victory figures in the metal, but they look pretty good in the pictures. They have a "gamers" pack which looks like a must buy for everyone here on LAF.
http://www.victoryforce.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VFM&Product_Code=032506&Category_Code=suburbaknights

I started my zombie mania in the opposite fashion, I'm buying up the star zombies first. I bought the Reaper modern & fantasy zombies and their zombie dog walker. I also bought the freelance Hasselfree zombies. So right now I have a tiny 17 model horde of really nice figures. I'm going to have to find some nice filler too.

Rob

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:14:37 PM »

Kingzombie produce some zombies in hazmat suits.

Do they?  I bought the KingZombie figure set last year and there are no hazmat zeds in it.  Paramedics, cops, a K9 cop and dog, soldiers, SWAT and firemen but no hazmats. 

I would like to get some hazmat zombies if you know where they came from :)

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 09:25:41 PM »
Do they?  I bought the KingZombie figure set last year and there are no hazmat zeds in it.  Paramedics, cops, a K9 cop and dog, soldiers, SWAT and firemen but no hazmats. 

I would like to get some hazmat zombies if you know where they came from :)

I'm sure when they brought out the figures some wore hazmat suits, smashed visors etc. Can't see them on the site so either I dreamt it or they withdrew them

EDIT. I sort of dreamt it, I've confused the gasmasked troopers with some hazmat zombies that Whiffwhaff sculpted and showcased on Frothers. Sorry to get your hopes up Cheetor.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 09:32:52 PM by Onebigriver »

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 10:33:33 PM »
I took a file and a soldering iron to Four Color (Supersytem) and Mega Minis Civilians.  Easy and effective, and came out less than a buck a zombie.

Also, Mega Minis has "filler" zombies (most are perfectly useful, others you may remove weapons), ZombieSmith has a nice set of 25 or so, and blue moon has a lot of sculpts.

If you go with WF plastics after all, the "Last night on Earth" plastic zombies match up with them nicely.
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Crudeboy

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 07:48:12 AM »
I've no doubt C. Vyper has mentioned Studio miniatures in the other thread, and Kingzombie produce some zombies in hazmat suits.

Yeah, I think the Studio Miniatures line will be right after I get a good "starter horde" going. I really like them all. Pretty fond of Cold War's stuff as well.

Also, Mega Minis has "filler" zombies (most are perfectly useful, others you may remove weapons), ZombieSmith has a nice set of 25 or so, and blue moon has a lot of sculpts.

If you go with WF plastics after all, the "Last night on Earth" plastic zombies match up with them nicely.

I was looking through Mega Minis' catalog the other day and honestly wasn't all that impressed with them. However, they are pretty cheap, and I do appreciate the variety of "table decor" they offer. Blue Moon's zeds don't look too bad.

I just saw the 'Last Night on Earth' plastics the other day, and I must say they don't look too shabby either.

Well then, I suppose I'll put in an order for the Victory Force horde in the next week or so, and I'll send final word if they're worth looking into.

Thanks, fellas!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
Yeah, I think the Studio Miniatures line will be right after I get a good "starter horde" going. I really like them all. Pretty fond of Cold War's stuff as well.

I took the opposite direction - started off with the nice Griffin, some Copplestone, and West Wind 'rage zombies), and probably will do some Studio before throwing cheap fillers into the lot.

I have to make sure I don't bog myself down in uninteresting paint jobs, as I'd otherwise just stop and turn my attention to something else.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 08:46:37 AM »

I was looking through Mega Minis' catalog the other day and honestly wasn't all that impressed with them. However, they are pretty cheap, and I do appreciate the variety of "table decor" they offer. Blue Moon's zeds don't look too bad.

I just saw the 'Last Night on Earth' plastics the other day, and I must say they don't look too shabby either.

Well then, I suppose I'll put in an order for the Victory Force horde in the next week or so, and I'll send final word if they're worth looking into.

Thanks, fellas!

Forget mega minis, Old glory civilians from the supersystem can be put to great use as zeds, again any npc mini lends it'self with a bit of drilling, twisting and amputation! :D Have a look at Pappa Midnight's threads, he's used the old glory figures extensively.

For me I started with a few GW plastics that crossed over from my old 40k days, I then added cold war, hasslefree, heresy, griffin, (had a set of the masters well before release direct from the sculptor as it looked like they were never going to be released), studio miniatures and just continued from there.....the rest is shambling, rotting history! :D

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 07:16:18 AM »
I actually bought this pack myself.  They fit in very well with any other zombies available.  Also size wise they fit in with the other standards without standing out as being too large.  I have just about any metal zombie made in the last 10 years in my horde.  They base and paint up nicely and really look nice gathered together.  There are nice details like wounds and torn clothing and some broken or missing limbs.  Overall I would say these are even better than most filler zomibes.  You could do a lot worse than this pack to fill out your horde.  Also i only received two duplicate castings out of all the figures sent.  And there are around 6 or 7 other personality zombies available from VF to go with these.  Also VF plans to continue to add different miniatures to this range to keep expanding the number and variety of models.  Buy them... you won't for a minute regret it!

Darkoath

Offline Crudeboy

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 10:57:30 PM »
Wonderful! That certainly nails it for me, Darkoath. Thank you.

I was a little worried about the chance of duplicates, but eh... whateva.