Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:57:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm ww2  (Read 6143 times)

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
15mm ww2
« on: April 17, 2010, 09:50:38 PM »
Now im looking into 15mm ww2 stuff because I like the way with FOW its like a base is a squad/unit now I was just wondering are there any 15mm models and or rulesets that cover the pacific?

Its just ive been watching the pacific now and its really put me in the mood.

Steve

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: 15mm ww2
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:56:41 PM »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »
Cheers for that anybody know of any rules?

Offline Bungle

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 05:12:26 PM »
Take some you like and halve the ground scale and ranges.

Or

PBI by Peter Pig
Battlefront
Flames of War
Rapid Fire

what scale game are you after?  Squads on a base like FOW?most of those should cope with that

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 04:29:41 PM »
I was looking for a rules system that covers the pacific. Flames of war doesnt from what ive seen.

steve

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 04:51:56 PM »
IABSM from The Lardy Boys is 'da beez kneez'

combine it with Rising Sun Supplement

For figures I went with PP for Japanese & USMC (with a few Command Decision added to the USMC), you might also try Eureka's range (expensive but nice)

FOW do the tanks for the Yanks.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 09:48:09 PM »
Vehicles:

LTVP (in transport and armed versions) and Japanese tanks: Oldgory or Skytrex

Japanese tanks from Qulitiy castings are very very nice.

From FOW you can get some stuff, if you want USMC shermans take soviet M4A2, the A2 version was the most widely used by the marines.

No one does the sherman zippo  :(

Japanese artillery... QRF and Quality Castings, they have good stuff no one does, especially the heavy AA/AT guns and the havy machine cannons.

Eureka has a nice range of pacific australians and Peter Pig has also the XIV army! Go Slim!
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline dm

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 08:41:18 PM »
also try Skytrex they do some cracking American Marines and Japanese infantry and well worth the price per pack :)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
I was looking for a rules system that covers the pacific. Flames of war doesnt from what ive seen.

Maybe check my website for "Banzai!": http://www.adpublishing.de/html/gear_krieg_banzai_.html

Together with the Mongoose Pacific War book (also written by me) you can easily play Pacific War in 15mm.
See also: http://www.adpublishing.de/html/gear_krieg_faq.html
for a link to the free core rules.

15mm Type 97 Shinhoto (Quality Casting)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - https://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 07:38:40 AM »
Now im looking into 15mm ww2 stuff because I like the way with FOW its like a base is a squad/unit now I was just wondering are there any 15mm models and or rulesets that cover the pacific?

Its just ive been watching the pacific now and its really put me in the mood.

Steve

Steve -

Unfortunately, no-one (yet) does a ruleset SPECIFICALLY for the Pacific War in 15mm, although as has been mentioned, there is an expansion for "World At War" and an expansion for "I Ain't Been Shot Mum". However, for actual stuff where you're dealing with, say, something above skirmish level, neither of these rulesets is particularly designed for that (they are both skirmish games). There was an attempt to convince FOW that it would be wise to move up the Pacific War rules, since the "Pacific Series", and other events, have finally driven up the popularity of the Pacific War amongst WW2 gamers, but they have very little interest in the Pacific (by their own admission) compared to the European/African theaters, and they want to do the other things first.

There are a couple sets in development that I'm aware of, but sadly, they are not developing quickly enough! One of them is being written by yours truly, and I had intended to get it out this year, but we have had some other developments at Black Army, plus an unexpected delay in our 15mm WW2 ranges, so that's sort of caused me to re-plan, redesign, etc.

If you like FOW, you might wish to check out the "Flames of War" Pacific yahoo group. Some interesting army lists and ideas there. Be forewarned; some of the lists are quite biased, and the research runs from "exceptionally good" to "Wikipedia has better fact checking". But then again, that's sort of the way with the official FOW lists, too, so...

On no account, if you value your sanity and want to play a game at least "vaguely" right, can I recommend using the "official" Flames of War Pacific War lists that were posted on their website many years ago with the Australians (they are still available some places). Not only was it not well researched, the author actually made stuff up out of whole cloth in order to justify his army lists.  I feel like I'm being a rivet counter here, and I don't mean to, but honestly, dude, it was pretty awful.

ANYWAY...

Another possibility would be to look into Blitzkrieg Commander, which has a decent system, and can be used with one stand equalling anything from a squad to a battalion. I wasn't terribly impressed with BKC Mk1, but Version 2 is quite a bit better, I'm told, as it includes improvements and various ideas from Cold War Commander and Future War Commander (which I like very, very much.)
BKC and its family of games are based upon the "Warmaster" engine. They run beautifully, and I've used Cold War Commander, particularly, to run several modern games (Yom Kippur War and First Gulf War mostly) at various conventions and shows. Ran a BKC game last year (Battle of Banya Pass, 1944), and it went fairly well, but again, I'd strongly recommend BKC2 if you go that route.

Having said that, if you're willing to give Skirmish a try, I cannot in all honesty rule out "IABSM" or the Pacific expansion for the Mongoose rules, as I haven't looked at either in any depth. I will say that the production values of both are high. I can also say that our group played IABSM and I wasn't all that thrilled with them. (Which is odd, as I usually like the TFL rulesets).  The "Islands of Glory" expansion for Battleground WW2 is a bit dated, but it provides a fairly good game, as well.

None of this is perfect, of course. I'm not a simulation type guy, but I am a "Pacific War guy", with a particular penchant for Japanese Armor, so I tend to look askance at most rulesets and expansions that handle the Japanese and their opponents, as they usually get them wrong (ESPECIALLY the tank bit). BKC's author got the Japanese armor "sort of right", and it was easy enough to tweak it to make me happy. His American lists are very good, no major problems there, that I can recall.

Hope this is at least of some help,

Alex

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 09:23:35 AM »
Unfortunately, no-one (yet) does a ruleset SPECIFICALLY for the Pacific War in 15mm, although as has been mentioned, there is an expansion for "World At War" and an expansion for "I Ain't Been Shot Mum". However, for actual stuff where you're dealing with, say, something above skirmish level, neither of these rulesets is particularly designed for that (they are both skirmish games).
I have to differ at this point with your good look at the current 15mm Pacific War option.
With the rules for 15mm gaming in the WaW: Gear Krieg or WaW: Gear Krieg Banzai! book you can easily play beyond Skirmish level.
The original WaW game is for a Platoon plus 2-3 vehicles.
With rules in my 2 mentioned books you can go way beyond that. We played games with 2 platoons and 6-9 vehicles with no hassle at all.
Just give it a try.

Another ruleset on the Pacific is "Red Sun Red Death" from Iron Ivan Games - very well written and highly recommended (I am good enough to admit that other are also doing great work!)   ;) :D ;)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 08:36:56 PM »
Fair enough. I hadn't really considered the Gear Krieg system as I was sticking to strictly historical stuff.

-Doc

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 05:51:41 AM »
Fair enough. I hadn't really considered the Gear Krieg system as I was sticking to strictly historical stuff.
8)
Just to make it crystal clear:
I am talking about the Battlefield Evolution system.
World at War: Gear Krieg is a supplement using the Logo License of Mongoose original game (also written by me).
Maybe check out the FAQ that explains it all and gives you a link to the free down loadable rules:
http://www.adpublishing.de/html/gear_krieg_faq.html