Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:25:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: VSF Game at Triples (10 pics)  (Read 5257 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
VSF Game at Triples (10 pics)
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:57:36 AM »
This game was run by Rob Martin of the Society of Science Fiction and Fantasy Wargamers. He had plenty of enthusiastic participants throughout the 2 days and, since he was opposite my stand, I couldn't resist wandering over to have a look and take some pics.

I think the scenario involved rescuing a princess.....................

The Table

I guess these were the players' characters

Look who turned up - Gawd Bless 'er

Sorry not to have too many details of the game - I didn't have time to find out. I know it involved Prussians and Scottish Militia amongst other stuff.

Doug

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Re: VSF Game at Triples (10 pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:26:06 AM »
Ooooh, some nice eye candy there.

I wonder if the game had something to do with Queen Vic (Gawd bless 'er), Balmoral and a kidnapping.
Don't!

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 11:31:39 AM »
It was something to do with Sherlock Holmes too, it looked great fun.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 03:29:46 PM »
Lovely looking game, too bad there is not more info though.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 04:10:21 PM »
Lovely looking game, too bad there is not more info though.

I'm hoping to tempt Rob over here to give some info.

Doug

Offline Count Winsky

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 04:28:10 PM »
Great looking game.
“There is no force like success, and that is why the individual makes all effort to surround himself throughout life with the evidence of it; as of the individual, so should it be of the nation.”

Marcus Garvey

Offline robbie7

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 07:20:55 PM »
The coming of aeronefs using strange metals that allowed them to fly was an opportunity for Austro Hungary to join the Great Powers. Early on the emperor and the military made alliances with such criminal genius' as Moriarty and while aeronefs were both in their infancy and highly secret, Moriarty and the Austrian High Commans planned a daring ploy to race ahead of the other Great Powers. Attack the highly secret Torchwood Institute and at the same time sieze the Princess of Brunschwig (Great neice of the Queen), a small semi independent state on the border between Austria and Germany. The Princess was important because she had fled a forced marriage with the Archduke that would have brought her strategically important country into Austro Hungarian hands.
The attack was entrusted to the Black Legion allied with a group of Anarchists but even as they struck help was at hand. HMAS Falcon swept in and landed small parties of marines, blue jackets and adventurers, led by Queen Victoria herself, determined to save the Princess.

The first picture shows Torch wood Manor and its surrounding land
The second the Electric Cannon which was keeping HMAS Falcon from supporting the adventurers and landing parties. Protecting the cannon crew are a unit of Black Legion Jagers
The third picture shows the Princess outside Torchwood and some of the adventurers sent to rescue her including Holmes and Watson and Constable Fraser of the NWMP
The fourth picture is HMAS Falcon, balanced on a water tower because the one thing I left behind in Cumbria was its Flying stand. This is an Ironclad Model
The fifth picture shows the different pairs of adventurers that the players could chosse from and Torchwoods 'little tank'
The sixth picture is a group of Redcoats advancing to save Torchwood. Their end was usually quite messy
The next two show the Scottish Militia vainly trying to stop the little tin men.
Then there is a final shot of the board and Queen Victoria.

It is amazing how one little slip alters a game. When the game was first run at Warrior Bazaar I meant to say that the participants won if they got the Princess off the board but actually said the winner was the one who got the Princess off the board! So we have  alot of initial co operation to remove the Black Legion but then mass backstabbing to take control of the princess and be the one who evacuates her.

Hope that helps

Rob

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 07:31:10 PM »
Great, what rules were used for the game?  :)

And welcome to the board.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 08:42:30 PM »
And I never even realised it was there until I heard the voting results over the PA system right at the end  >:(  :'(

Still, at least I had a lot of fun with our game and finally managed to buy £20.00 of Future Wars stuff off Doug that I've meant to get for the last 4 years  lol (including a suitable basis for my Slash figure and the rest of his gang .......)

Oh and £30.00 of stuff off Hasslefree on an impulse buy as I hadn't realised they were going to be there, not to mention some of Soapy's lovely Woodbine future marines, also on impulse  ::)

Thanks to Dougfor posting the pics !

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 03:52:37 AM »
Fantastic looking game! Love the Black Jagers and Constable Fraser.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 09:23:12 AM »
Are they Brunswickers?

What minis are they?  :)

Looks like a great game btw.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 09:42:57 AM »
They certainly seem to have a similar colour scheme to the Napoleonic Brunswick Leib Garde , but I'm not sure if Brunswick still existed as a separate state in the late 19thC  :?

Probably VSF gamers' licence. Very attractive colours, though  :)

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 01:14:59 PM »
Looks like a fun scenario and a great game.
Like the tin men, and the Ironclad aeronef (which I think I'm going to have to get)
Thanks for posting.
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 02:57:29 PM »
Liked the large redbrick building, any idea what make? And what a good use of those GW Mordians, perfect as VSF Brits.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline robbie7

• Lurker
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 06:22:58 PM »
The large redbrick building is hougoumont painted by Rumbling guns from the Hovels range of buildings. The two buildings in the corner are also from the Hougoumont range, the cowshed and Farmers house.

The Black Legion are based on the Brunswickers. Brunswick did indeed cease to exist as an independent state around 1866 but in this timeline the exiled Duke has assembled an army in exile working in the service of the Austro Hungarians.
The black Legion guard which can be seen next to the black tank at the crossroads in the first photo but don't have any closeups are wargames factory British from the zulu war but with Carabineer helmets on from the Perry French Heavy cavalry box. Their tunic is black with L Blue trousers and silver helmet with black crest
The Black legion jager are Franco Prussian war Prussian Jagers with a black paintjob and light blur facings.
The gun crew are from Tiger miniature Bulgaran range

Not sure who the gW Mordians are? The redcoat British are Ironclad miniatures while the scottish militia in grey are wargames factory