Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:39:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: WAB2 is here!  (Read 7915 times)

Offline barrass

• Student
Re: WAB2 is here!
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 08:09:53 AM »
Hi there, one thing to report, is that as Forge world is making this, you can only get it from them, the trader who was distributing to the indepent shops in the UK has been told he can longer get the products, something he is not very happy with, myself either, because this means you either get it from a show where Forgeworld will be or add postage to your £32. Also industry insiders tell me that the army lists may be similar to the old WRG lists and there will will only be 3 volumes, the prettyarmy books are no more.

Sorry but this doesn't bode well for the 2nd edition

Thanks Jeff

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 08:11:52 AM »
My main criticism is that there isn't a Greek list in the book. There are now two companies coming out with nice looking plastic Greek Hoplites and several new metal ranges, yet there is no army list available for the Greeks in WAB....

That's a shame.  However I've been waiting for the Divine Wind supplement for about 3 years now.  They showed us the cover, etc, it just hasn't happened.  I guess WHW is not a priority as there are no sales of figures from GW involved. Updated rules and army lists for 40k and FB, on the other hand, come out with staggering regularity.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 08:31:09 AM »
Hi there, one thing to report, is that as Forge world is making this, you can only get it from them, the trader who was distributing to the indepent shops in the UK has been told he can longer get the products, something he is not very happy with, myself either, because this means you either get it from a show where Forgeworld will be or add postage to your £32. Also industry insiders tell me that the army lists may be similar to the old WRG lists and there will will only be 3 volumes, the prettyarmy books are no more.

Sorry but this doesn't bode well for the 2nd edition

Thanks Jeff

That doesn't surprise me. Warhammer Historical wasn't making much money, so by only selling it directly they increase the profit level hugely as they don't have to sell to distributors at a much reduced cost. Shame about the army book change, but I know quite a lot of people will prefer it as it'll let them have a 'complete' set fairly easily.

That's a shame.  However I've been waiting for the Divine Wind supplement for about 3 years now.  They showed us the cover, etc, it just hasn't happened.  I guess WHW is not a priority as there are no sales of figures from GW involved. Updated rules and army lists for 40k and FB, on the other hand, come out with staggering regularity.

Yeah, I've been waiting for Divine Wind for longer  ;)
Although that was pretty much entirely Rob's fault. He wanted to write it etc and wouldn't release control, even when it was blatantly obvious he didn't have time. I spoke to him about it quite a few times...
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 08:42:55 AM »
Heh. I had a similar experience. "yes, we want you to write x book", then "let's finalize details at X con"... Couldn't make it to X Con, relative was extremely ill, said I'd be happy to discuss details over phone or email, or meet them someplace else.  Months of no communication, followed by, "Hello, and thank you for your interest. What was it you wanted to do again?" And then an announcement two weeks later that they'd got someone -else- to write the bloody book(s). That was a great experience...

A friend suggested I offer to write a 1920s ruleset using the LOTOW engine. After sifting through my old emails and the WAB debacle, I decided that probably wasn't such a good idea. That said, if they offered the job to me, and actually followed through this time. I'd take it. Having a name in print is a good thing.

Anyway, I have my doubts about the Forgeworld situation. Ordering them, even under good circumstances, has always been a nightmare, and for the last year, I have been unable to get their website to process a single order from the United States. Since they don't answer their email, and since they NEVER answer their phone (and I've tried all times, day and night), it seems to me that this supplement will be just about impossible to get, at least in the states.

Real shame, but it was coming for a long time. I have to wonder if isn't too late for WAB now.

-Doc

Offline Mike D. Mc Brice

• Mad Scientist
  • Lead Painters League Winner
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 08:52:56 AM »
With a cleaned up shiny new rulebook and a dozen pretty detailed supplements to choose from I think we're in a very good situation to play the game. If they manage to release the planned armylist volumes fine, if they don't do the excisting books offer projects for a lifetime of gaming. I think that's pretty good.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 09:00:04 AM »
I have been unable to get their website to process a single order from the United States.

That's weird. While I worked there, about half the total orders shipped were going to the states and the vast majority came through the webstore.

I need to try and swing by to talk to people. I'd be interested to see who's dealing with Historical now that Mike Ball has left to be a paramedic.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 11:08:47 AM »
I need to try and swing by to talk to people. I'd be interested to see who's dealing with Historical now that Mike Ball has left to be a paramedic.

Whoa, he wasn't there long. I heard that it was Owen Branham in charge now, but that's not certain.

I was on the Devine Wind playtest list  :D But obviously not any more  :(

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 11:19:51 AM »
Whoa, he wasn't there long. I heard that it was Owen Branham in charge now, but that's not certain.

Mike was involved with Historical for years but no, he didn't run it for very long :) Owen is Forge Worlds 'Studio Manager', so I wouldn't be surprised if he's technically 'in charge' of Historical but I doubt he'll be doing any of the work.

Doesn't look like Divine Wind will ever see the light of day. I just really hope they do a reasonable samurai list and don't just reprint the AoA one.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 11:25:56 AM »
I'm going to try and have a word with someone about working on it (if only for advice and playtesting, oh, and scenery useage  ;) )

cheers

James

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 01:38:06 PM »
Having now had a quick look, it doesn't seem to make any supplements redundant.

My main criticism is that there isn't a Greek list in the book. There are now two companies coming out with nice looking plastic Greek Hoplites and several new metal ranges, yet there is no army list available for the Greeks in WAB....

That's not completely true.If you mean a brand new AoA list then true,but bear in mind where a new list hasn't been done all previous lists are still in effect.Greeks can be found in the original AoA,WAB 1.5,and Alexander. ;)

I'm going to try and have a word with someone about working on it (if only for advice and playtesting, oh, and scenery useage  ;) )

cheers

James

That would be great James.I hope you achieve some success here. :)

Cheers
Christopher

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 02:02:09 PM »
Greeks can be found in the original AoA,WAB 1.5,and Alexander.  ;)

I have a copy of AoA but that's been out of print for a stupidly long time, 1.5 has just been made obsolete and Alexander (which I also have) isn't a 'proper' Greek list as it's after the subjugation and lacks definition to the troops. The lack of Spartans in the Alexander list will have a lot of people walk away from it. Plus the errata/update for the AoA/1.5 Greek lists isn't downloadable anymore. So I stand by my original statement  :)

I will expand on it slightly though as I wasn't particularly clear on my meaning. The release and upcoming release of lots of new Greek figures will raise the interest in Greek armies significantly, as it did for ACW etc. Which means there will be lots of people looking for a rules set to play them with. Currently that rules set ISN'T Warhammer Ancient Battles, which I believe will push people to Fields of Glory etc. I think that's a big mistake by WHW.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 02:20:23 PM »
I will expand on it slightly though as I wasn't particularly clear on my meaning. The release and upcoming release of lots of new Greek figures will raise the interest in Greek armies significantly, as it did for ACW etc. Which means there will be lots of people looking for a rules set to play them with. Currently that rules set ISN'T Warhammer Ancient Battles, which I believe will push people to Fields of Glory etc. I think that's a big mistake by WHW.

Judging by past experience, I'm not convinced that they're bothered..........

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 02:27:26 PM »
I have a copy of AoA but that's been out of print for a stupidly long time

Not hard to get the list.

1.5 has just been made obsolete

The rules and not the lists unless already updated.

The lack of Spartans in the Alexander

True,no Spartans and the list is not comprehensive,but will get the troops on the table.

If someone wants to play Greeks the lists are available,just not an updated one and that is probably coming "relatively" soon as I think a supplement is completed or near completion if the rumors are to be believed.I think the omission of the Greeks was not an accident,but deliberate which suggests something is up the pike.

Cheers
Christopher

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 03:49:13 PM »
They probably aren't bothered no.

Not hard to get the list.
Assuming you know it exists... Actually, I've just spent a few minutes looking for the update, as I'm one of the people who's just started a new Greek army, and I can't find it.

The rules and not the lists unless already updated.
Yes, but the lists are in the rule book and therefore not available as people are unlikely to buy an old rulebook when the new one has just come out changing the game.

I certainly hope a Greek book is coming, that would be great.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 05:16:05 PM »
Why not put together a list yourself? Take the Mercenary list from the Alexander supplement as a guideline and add any troop type needed. If you are more of the 'official rules' faction, try these additions by Jeff Jonas himself, author of said army book: LINK.

Anyway, I'm rather reluctant regarding WAB 2.0. I felt no need for an all-new edition, since I'm not bothered with tournaments or events, where you need 'official' and 'balanced' rules. I always loved the production value of GW stuff, so I might nevertheless pick up a copy - if only to enjoy the pictures from time to time. ::)