Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:42:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Shanghai, 1930 Wave from Black Army! (Picture Heavy!)  (Read 8069 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Re: New Shanghai, 1930 Wave from Black Army! (Picture Heavy!)
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 09:55:40 PM »
Hi, J. -

Glad to help with the information I have.

The M1930, which had a high collar and a cut very similar to the American WW1 era tunic, was "officially" in use until 1939 and issued in a mustard color. However, it continued to be used by some portions of the Army until 1945,  as there were other production priorities when the Japanese "officially" entered the war in 1941, and there were at least a few thousand troops who were issued from older uniform stock.  The "new" uniform, with a turn down collar and four pocket flaps, was olive green in color and issued beginning in 1938.

For example, a large percentage of the troops who fought the Russians at Nomonhan/Khalkin-Gol in 1939 actually wore the M1930 uniform and Cherry Blossom helmet, as they hadn't received the new issue of equipment when the fighting broke out.

The "Cherry Blossom" helmet was issued in the 1920s (I'm sorry, but I can't find my notes. I seem to recall that it's a 1925 issue, as the Japanese were using Adrians prior to this date, but I could be wrong). The first "replacement" helmet was issued in 1932, but the Cherry Blossom continued to be used until 1945. Most were found in China and Manchuria, but examples were captured throughout the Pacific by US and Commonwealth forces. I'm aware of at least one perfectly preserved example being recently dug in the Aleutians, for example, and there was another on Ebay with a capture location of Pelilieu, 1944 a few months ago. They are -extremely- rare, as very few survived the war intact.

Essentially, the web gear and equipment harness was identical throughout the war, though made of varying materials, and somewhat simplified by 44-45.

The main difference between the two uniforms was ease of production. The new uniforms required less material and were of a somewhat simplified cut, which was more friendly to mass production purposes. I have been told, but not confirmed, that the same was true of the "Cherry Blossom" compared to the simplified helmet. However, the sources I have say it was a matter of "modernization". Allegedly, the troops preferred the comfort of the "Cherry Blossom", which was apparently lighter and less heavy in the hot weather of the Chinese frontier, but the protection qualities of the helmet were inferior to the newer "bowl" type. Reputedly, early examples of the Cherry Blossom "shattered like porcelain" when struck by direct rounds.

One way to "spot" the older uniform in the field is to look at puttees. The M1930 uniform was issued with long trousers and the puttees were supposed to be tied over them, whereas M1938 had short legged semibreeches, and the puttees were supposed to cover the lower leg. One thing you see on occasion is a combination of the newer tunic with the older trousers, or vice versa.

Theoretically, the color should also be a clue, but there were significant differences in dye lots, and at any rate, there were plenty of M1938 uniforms issued in mustard color, even though the "official" color was supposed to be green.

Now, as for earlier use, the cut of the M1930 uniform looks photographically similar enough to work for the Mid-1920s onward, or at least that's what I think. Purists would disagree. Obviously there were differences, but in miniature form, this isn't such a big deal.

-Doc
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 09:58:42 PM by Doc Twilight »

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
Re: New Shanghai, 1930 Wave from Black Army! (Picture Heavy!)
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 02:31:28 AM »
Thanks for that, it was very useful!
May be planning a future project set in Manchuria and I really like these figures, great job!