Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:49:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Artillery in the SYW (and specifically the F&IW)  (Read 10286 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Artillery in the SYW (and specifically the F&IW)
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 04:07:27 PM »
I'm not a big battalion guy but the way this project is going who knows how it'll end up!  lol

Your comment re other nations has much to commend it.  Similar to my New York State provincials, I have been looking at the Perry's Hessian artillerymen as a potential conversion source though I'd still like find some waist-coated crew from somewhere.

Yup that was the issue I had having not found any in only waist coats, Only the minden drovers would work and being open handed I plan on mixing them with the uniformed artillery with them being based on their own I wasnt too worried about the size difference, however I still have around 50 indians to finsih before moving onto the French ;D

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »
Have you seen these photos of the wagons and gear at Fort Ligonier?
http://www.the-visitor-center.com/pages/Fort-Ligonier/index2.htm

There are a couple of small ammunition carts on page two that look easy to scratch-build. From my readings it seems like horses and wagons were always in short supply so these would fit the bill along with one-horse limbers. IIRC the French pound was heavier than the English pound, but unless you are conducting a large open-field battle I doubt it would make a lot of difference in a game.

The small wagon for transporting the coehorns on page one of the link I posted is interesting as well. I could see that being the objective in a skirmish scenario set around a siege.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 12:40:53 AM »
SI,

I was browsing my bookshelf (well, one of them) for something to read while lifeguarding my son in the tub and my eye landed on "The French Soldier in Colonial America", a booklet Rene Chartrand did a while back. It has a section on the canonniers-bombadiers and their ordinance. Aside from the uniform details which I think you have covered he does verify that the Ministry of the Marine was responsible for all ordinance in coastal fortifications and the colonies in general so the guns were of the standard naval design of the day. The calibers were standardized at 4,6,8,12,18,24, and 36 pounds. He also mentions marine mortars which were not standardized, but most commonly found in 7-, 8-, 9-, and 12-inch sizes.  Sadly there are no pictures of these potentially useful pieces.

I'll include this quote which is a useful summary. "The guns sent to the colonies were often pieces which were considered too heavy or too old for use on warships. They were painted black and mounted on wooden garrison carriages painted red. Colonial gunners also used a few light pieces on field carriages."

Pretty general info, but I hope there is something useful in there for you.

Aaron