Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:03:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Renaissance battle (new battle added)  (Read 7101 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Renaissance battle
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 03:43:58 PM »
No insult taken. Hinchcliffe is very old school, and tiny by today's standard. Next week I'll be posting a new battle, played with a new set. I'm also ordering Renaissance Principles of War. The guys over at the Renaissance warfare Yahoo group hate it, so it should be right up my alley. This shall be my last attempt at buying new rules before write my own.
-J

I'm glad you mention Renaissance Principles of War  :)

Element based, work equally well in any scale from 2mm -28mm, no figure removal, minimal record keeping, quality of the model generals is a major factor in success, the only markers required are for "shaken" units (I use photos of casualty models printed onto card counters, which look quite good and are a lot cheaper than metal casualties), quick-play & easy to learn but certainly not simplistic and correct planning and tactics are rewarded. After a couple of learning games, most situations can be resolved with a two sided-playsheet.

64 Army lists included, all major "popular" armies and many of the more obscure and exotic. Use the lists as supplied for a good evening's gaming or use them to easily work out your own for specific campaigns. Can be played as large multi-player scenario-based  games or points-based "competition" (  >:(  ) style games. Games with 15-20 units can be comfortably played to a conclusion in a typical games evening. Usually played by people who are diametrically opposed to the DBM/DBR mindset.

On top of that only £8.00 GBP  :D

Have you guessed I like them  lol

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 07:07:18 AM »
Like it following now, excellent

I wondered if instead of writing your own full rules why don't you take the best rules you have found and give them a tweak, to make them fit with what you want, could be quicker.

dodge

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 01:54:31 PM »
Gluteus,
Just ordered RenPoW.
-J

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 07:14:38 PM »
I genuinely hope you enjoy the rules, as in my opinion they are the best element-based Renaissance set around  :)

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 09:45:26 PM »
Nice looking army and thinking about the period myself,but already booked up in other projects. 8)

Cheers
Christopher

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: Renaissance battle (new battle added)
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 02:33:19 PM »
Ummm... I do not think that link goes where you think it goes (said in my best Mandy Patankin voice).

:D
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 03:34:27 AM »
What's wrong with Piquet"Band of Brothers"?

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 02:16:56 PM »
Piquet's one of the love 'em or hate 'em rules sets. I would be in the latter camp.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 02:20:31 PM »
Reading your complaints gives me the impression that you're well aware of what you expect from a ruleset. A crazy thought: Instead of buying and testing any rules out there, you could simply brew up your own. Makes life so much easier. ;)

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 04:50:49 PM »
Yes, it's looking that way. That's how I got my "Fistful of Lead" wild west rules made.
The hard part comes from investing the money. My Piquet experience comes from playing it a couple of times and hating it. That wasn't the band of Brothers variant, but I have a hard time dropping &40 to try something and not liking it. Same with Impetus. I read the free version but didn't like the total lack of Command and Control. You can do whatever you want. But, the full version, I hear, has more to it. Again, spending the money again to find out I don't like it, is tough.
-J

Offline Pentaro

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 05:04:24 PM »
The full Impetus has command rules and different kinds of commanders. Some local players tried it last summer and it seems that you have to destroy half of the enemy army to win, so I wasn't too impressed. What was wrong with Piquet?

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 05:10:15 PM »
If Basic Impetus isn't up your alley, I'm afraid the full set won't do it for you either. C&C is handled quite lavishly and doesn't add much depth to actual gameplay.
So as said before, I would highly recommend to take a certain ruleset you already have (and like at least a bit) and try your hand at some tweaks. If you don't want to do it all on your own, think about 'publishing' it on your blog or the likes. I'm sure there are many more people out there in search of their holy grail for Renaissance wargaming, who would love to share their thoughts. Keep it simple for a start and add or discard things as you walk on. As long as you are not a hardcore GW tournament player, official homebrewn rules ARE possible. ;)