Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:27:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone for Perry plastic Fuzzy-Wuzzies / Ansar?  (Read 16624 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Anyone for Perry plastic Fuzzy-Wuzzies / Ansar?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 08:06:38 PM »
They did look nice in the two 3ups, but I would like them in metal,PLEASE.

Cough! "Computer says "No!""  lol
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 08:41:56 PM »
Just after I finish spending gazillions on my metal Mahdist army, they announce plastics? Wonderful...
 ::)
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 09:54:38 PM »
Thrilled by the news of the plastic Ansars, have plans for doing the Sudan. I was only thinking to myself a few days ago that I wish The Perry's would do a box set of Ansar plastics!

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 12:31:57 PM »
They did look nice in the two 3ups, but I would like them in metal,PLEASE.

I understand your feelings, but the Perry plastics have finally won me over. The WotR box was so nice I immediately ordered two boxes of French cavalry to bulk out Sharp Pratice games. The detailing is much crisper than I have seen on other plastics in the past.

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 04:42:07 PM »
I understand your feelings, but the Perry plastics have finally won me over...The detailing is much crisper than I have seen on other plastics in the past.
But they are still plastic! Can't get round that I'm afraid in my mind, no heft in the hand when you paint or play. Still not tempted I'm going to pass on these until there are metal versions ~ just before H*ll freezes over I expect with all the time wasted on sculpting this plastic stuff!
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Maichus

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 04:52:01 PM »
Aren't there already a wide variety of metal mahdists in the Sudan range...  ???

However, Regulator posted this picture over at the Sweetwater forum:

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 04:56:33 PM »
Well they do already do a pretty extensive range of metal Mahdists - which is why I was somewhat surprised they've gone for these in plastic. Maybe they think it will kickstart sales of the the metal Sudan range again.

I'm not a natural lover of plastic either, David, but like Aaron, the Perry WOTR have won me over.
They are just such far superior figures to anything I've seen in metal in terms a triple-whammy of period character, detail and anatomy. I've adopted the simple expedient of gluing them onto bloody great steel washers to give them the much-needed heft they require :)

But I totally understand your reluctance. Instinctively, I feel the same. Unfortunately, with WOTR they hit me in my weak spot!

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 05:17:01 PM »
Captain Blood wrote:

"I'm not a natural lover of plastic either, David, but like Aaron, the Perry WOTR have won me over."

Have to agree, the WOTR set nearly tipped me over the edge last year, but although sorely tempted again by the twins game Saturday, sanity still prevails.  ;)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 05:25:29 PM »
Ansar are probably the most tempting plaggies so far for me as they will have good conversion possibilities.

There are some stonking models out already. Nappy cavalry and the WOTR are both very very froth worthy but just not my cup of tea game wise.

As it will be forever and a day before anybody does  a must buy set for my tastes I just don't worry about plastic at all. I have said it before but I still think they are expensive too. Cheaper than metal yes but not that much.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 05:56:42 PM »
Well, if I can convert them and use them in VSF, then hell yeah I want some!  :)

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 05:57:20 PM »
I'm tempted to get a few for GASLIGHT games, but there are too many other projects on my list right now.  o_o
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 06:28:01 PM »
Nice phot, they don't seem to have the packs that most Zouave figures have and a selection of fez, kepi and turban will keep me happy.  Later this year, well I think that's pushing it, but we'll see. I am suckered into collecting some WOTR next.  As for price, well, there are enough companies selling plastic boxes at 10-25% off.

Offline Maichus

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 06:42:23 PM »
Not a plastic fan myself but the Perry WotR box includes 40 minis and you can get it for GBP 13.50/incl. P&P or less.

So it's less than a third of the price of an equal amount of metal. (You also get a set of paper flags and a sprue of bases.)  o_o

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 07:13:10 PM »
Well they do already do a pretty extensive range of metal Mahdists - which is why I was somewhat surprised they've gone for these in plastic.

Me too. I can't see anything major missing from the Beja forces. I was hoping for the chaps in Jibbahs and shaven heads etc from misreading the first post in the thread. I've already got lots of their metal Beja, but that in itself is not a problem, as I'll still need many more before I'm even half-way satisfied  lol

I really wanted to see some Mahdists in Jibbahs from the Perrys though  :(

Offline Major Weenie

• Scientist
  • Never Too Early for a Refreshing Beverage!
    • The Bengal Club
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »
1.)  "Perry Plastic Ansar"  Oh no!  And the club is almost finished building a Dervish army out of various metal figures.

2.) "Perry Plastic ACW Zouaves" Oh no!  And I have almost finished my various French Zouaves & Algerian Turcos for a Perry sculpted metal army.

And yet....

I know I will be buying these.  And perhaps even selling off the metal predecessors to make room for the new plastic replacements.

Regards,
MW