Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:18:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691054
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone for Perry plastic Fuzzy-Wuzzies / Ansar?  (Read 16622 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Anyone for Perry plastic Fuzzy-Wuzzies / Ansar?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 10:04:23 PM »
A few pics and more news lifted from The Miniatures Page...

"For those who missed Salute, here's what we had on show. Here's just three of the '3up' Zouaves and two of the Sudanese tribesmen for two future plastic sets. The Zouaves are in the typical Zouave uniforms with the full breaches; others in chasseur trousers will covered in metal. We imagine there may be people who will want to convert them into other nations, the baggy breaches will allow the transition a little easier. All the figures will have enough arms to allow them all to be at 'right shoulder shift' or in a more aggressive attacking pose. All heads will have fezzes - and if there's enough room on the sprue, there will be turbaned versions for all, too.
The Sudanese tribesmen will come with a variety of clothing, simple 'kilts', tobes (over-the-shoulder plaid like garment), and jibbehs. Weapons will include spears, swords and rifles with separate shields for the Beja. Heads will include Beja ('Fuzzy Wuzzies'), skull-capped, turbaned, and bareheaded (short haired/bald). They should cover all the tribes you need for the Sudan.
There's no release date on these as we are at the beginning. The first sprue of WotR's 'Mercenaries' has gone for tooling; the command sprue will follow shortly."

Online M Blakey

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 10:43:25 PM »
i really like these fuzzy wuzzies will definatly pick up a pack or 2 when they are out

mike

Offline Laflin and Rand

• Scientist
    • Curses from the Workbench
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 03:09:29 AM »
So, from the looks of these Zouaves, what kind of work would I need to do in order to make them appropriate for the French of the 1880s-1890s? 

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 05:37:59 PM »
So, from the looks of these Zouaves, what kind of work would I need to do in order to make them appropriate for the French of the 1880s-1890s? 

cut the leather gaiters (ended in 1870), ( gaiters are bleu in wool for winter ,  white coton for summer)
Change the guns , lebels would be better or at least chassepots/gras  for 1870-1890, canteens are too round, knapsack are not good don't use them!
for the sash, you have to cut the vertical part on the leg!

My opinion is that the best accurat mini's for  french zouaves 1880 90 are the foundry 1870 range!! Perry's aCW zouaves will be practical for 1830-66 (before chassepot)

regards
paco

Offline Laflin and Rand

• Scientist
    • Curses from the Workbench
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 10:23:24 PM »
cut the leather gaiters (ended in 1870), ( gaiters are bleu in wool for winter ,  white coton for summer)
Change the guns , lebels would be better or at least chassepots/gras  for 1870-1890, canteens are too round, knapsack are not good don't use them!
for the sash, you have to cut the vertical part on the leg!

My opinion is that the best accurat mini's for  french zouaves 1880 90 are the foundry 1870 range!! Perry's aCW zouaves will be practical for 1830-66 (before chassepot)

regards
paco

Ah, I was afraid of that. The Foundry ones are very nice at least.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 01:41:29 AM »
The Fuzzy Wuzzies look amazing!
Awesome. The ACW Zouave's could make an excellent sultan's guard, with some extras from the Fuzzy-Wuzzies
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 09:29:34 AM »
The Fuzzy Wuzzies look amazing!
Awesome. The ACW Zouave's could make an excellent sultan's guard, with some extras from the Fuzzy-Wuzzies

They are very good, but no better than the metals. If the actual figures come out as good as the Wars Of The Roses stuff, then I'll definitely get a few boxes. That's the big thing in favour of the Perry's - their plastics are superb and very reasonably priced.

I've already got the uniforms and organization ready for my Sultan's Guard  :D

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 09:53:39 AM »
Not a plastic fan myself but the Perry WotR box includes 40 minis and you can get it for GBP 13.50/incl. P&P or less.

So it's less than a third of the price of an equal amount of metal. (You also get a set of paper flags and a sprue of bases.)

I just picked up 2 boxes for £19 on EBay, inc P+P, that's less than 25p a figure.........  8)
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010, 12:41:52 PM »
At that price you could afford to buy some lead to stick under the bases for some metal figure-style "heft", which is apparently one of the major objections to plastic....

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »

I just picked up 2 boxes for £19 on EBay, inc P+P, that's less than 25p a figure.........  8)

Good job I didn't see them, my resolve would have weakened further still ;)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 07:07:06 PM »
There, now, Phil, I am so pleased that I saved you all that turmoil.   o_o

Just don't Dave that I succumbed!  8)

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2010, 10:59:36 PM »
There, now, Phil, I am so pleased that I saved you all that turmoil.   o_o

Just don't Dave that I succumbed!  8)

Too late!
Just think how much time is wasted sculpting all this tatt, not to mention money at £7,000 a sprue moulding, which could be better spent on real wargames figures of lasting quality.

If there are six sprues in a box, thats £42,000 set up costs to be recovered before any profits can be reinvested in other figures. Can only think we're all paying over the odds to finance this, a bit like bankers' bonuses if you look at it that way....? :(
"There is no point in being stupid unless you show it!"

http://talesfromghq.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2010, 11:22:33 PM »
Most of the sprues in a box are the same, some command figures tend to be metal in Warlord boxes.  I have warlords ECW Dragoons and only the horses are plastic.  So the setup is not that bad.

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 09:51:14 AM »
As I mentioned Dave, you also have consider sales to the plastic modelling fraternity, and having being to the IPMS show at Telford a couple of times you see how much they spend :o puts us wargamers in the shade at times.

Offline Yankeepedlar01

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://talesfromghq.blogspot.com/2011/11/you-are-very-welcome-at-tales-from-ghq.html
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »
As I mentioned Dave, you also have consider sales to the plastic modelling fraternity, and having being to the IPMS show at Telford a couple of times you see how much they spend :o puts us wargamers in the shade at times.

Frankly I don't give a fig about the 'plastic modelling community'. I want my wargames figures in metal and I want them NOW! I'm a wargamer, not some peripheral modeller, so what do you expect.