Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:57:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Don't Blink  (Read 5859 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Don't Blink
« on: April 24, 2010, 06:13:40 PM »
Wow. That was good. I love those angels. Best thing since the 2005 relaunch. They scare the fucking shit out of me. After a decidedly dodgy bit of crappy Dalek-wank, the series really got back on track tonight. Instant classic. Doctor Who meets Aliens with John Hanning Speke thrown in for good measure. More of this, less Daleks, please.

And that guy at the start with the lipstick was Mike Skinner out of The Streets, wasn't it?
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Don't Blink
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:39:53 PM »
Looking forward to next week.

You can't kill a stone, but can't you wop it with a sledgehammer ?
Or put a bag on its head so it doesn't know if you are looking ?

Some lovely scenery this week too.

We've already bought as many of the pre-painted D&D figures of angelic statues as we could find, so just need to acquire a bishop's platoon now.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 06:50:14 PM »
Cracking episode. I'm champing at the bit for the next instalment.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »
Just a shame about the cartoon Graham Norton, breaking the tension just before the cliffhanger.

... And reminding me of the existence of Graham Norton, for that matter.   >:( :'( >:(

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
ahhh, you irritating people  :D I have to wait until someone is kind enough to put it up on a place of legal greyarea before I'm going to get to see it. But if it's anything like 'blink' then it's got to be good.

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 07:46:31 PM »
I thought it was far better than Blink, simply because of the stunning setting.

I'm a huge fan of horror stories that feature the military and everything going wrong, Dog Soldiers is probably my favorite movie, Aliens would be another in the same vein.

After lastweeks episode which I felt was utterly dire it made it feel even better. More importantly this was the first time I really felt Matt Smith was relaxed and fitting into the role of the doctor, I wasn't convinced in any of the previous episodes and felt he didn't quite fit, but he was great this week.

I've heard a lot of anger about this animated advert thing popping up near the end, I watched the show on iplayer just after it broadcast so didn't get that.

So yeah after a feeling of dread that all my worst fears had come to light last week I am now in a very happy, but decidedly creeped out (thanks Moffat), place.
 :)
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »
I actually really like Graham Norton. But that little cartoon advert thing popping up in the episode - that is unforgivable. I'm not a vindictive person, but I hope there is enough outrage that someone loses their job over that. Totally broke the immersion.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 08:20:59 PM »
Especially annoying as a) it was right at the thrilling climax (by the way can I suggest Plynkes that you put 'SPOILER ALERT' in either the subject line or early in the thread?) and b) the programme it was trailering was on in about a minute, and they then told us about it while the credits were running.

Poor show, Auntie Beeb, poor show. Not enough to ruin it completely but bloody instrusive. If I wanted Graham Norton muscling in on my climax ... etc etc.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 08:30:34 PM »
I don't see the need for a spoiler alert. What have we given away, apart from the fact that a cartoon Graham Norton intruded on the show in a very annoying fashion? The fact that the Weeping Angels are back is hardly a state secret. They are in the episode's title, have been on the adverts, in the listings magazines, etc.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 08:48:34 PM »
As someone who has yet to see it, I'd say no need for a spoiler - nothing given away.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 09:11:52 PM »
As a precautionary measure - I backpedalled on what I was going to say specifically so I didn't give certain things away. Just because no-one has yet revealed anything crucial doesn't mean they won't.

As a courtesy - we've seen it, mostly, we don't need a spoiler alert, but those who, for instance, might think this is a thread about the previous Weeping Angels storyline might appreciate more warning about possible spoilers.

I think on the whole it's better to put it in, because then people can chose to view the thread or not, rather than not put it in and risk spoiling someone's enjoyment of the episode because they've stumbled across something by accident that they maybe didn't want to know.

Offline myincubliss

• Mad Scientist
    • dead lead project
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 12:50:09 AM »
We've already bought as many of the pre-painted D&D figures of angelic statues as we could find

Link? Although my first thought was to muss up some sculpting dollies to use as the other statues...

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 02:12:25 AM »
Just watched this on iplayer, at last a brilliant episode. I have liked Matt Smith from the start but here he had the quality script that he needed.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 04:29:07 AM »
Blink was so cool and the weeping angels were just so creepy.  Just watched the 1st show with the new doctor.  And just like he needs to get use to new teeth I guess i'll have to get use to him he was ok so far and his companion was ok and hot wish the police women I worked with were like her(I know she was not a real police woman)
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 09:00:34 AM »
Link? Although my first thought was to muss up some sculpting dollies to use as the other statues...

We mostly picked them up through ebay or rummage boxes at wargames shows.

This one looks good (but the current price is way too high, we got ours for about 50p each) :
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=d%26d+statue&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=UK_Toys_RolePlaying_RL&_odkw=d%26d+miniatures&_osacat=0&bkBtn=