Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:57:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Gaming with more pics  (Read 6712 times)

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
Pulp Gaming with more pics
« on: April 25, 2010, 08:27:33 PM »
Hey it's Wolf Girl!

Last night we got together with some friends to play some Pulp Alley. We decided to do a couple two player games this time. We randomly determined opponents and the match-ups were me against Miniczech and Bubbaczech versus Jebus. In the picture below there is me, Miniczech in the yellow, Bubbaczech on the right, and B-Dice on the left.

The scenario was called the Gauntlet. The objective was simply to capture more points than the opposing player. This is a basic version of our Dig scenario, so you couldn’t find the major relic unless that character had already picked up a clue.

I played Princess Tigra’s league. This league consists of Princess Tigra, her tiger companion Sahari, Brother Rock, Brother Sky, Rain, and Jeannie Mae. Princess Tigra is a good fighter with some pretty sweet abilities to sense and avoid perils. Jebus painted these miniatures for me.  :-*

The first match was me against Miniczech. He started off really good capturing and cutting off several clues so that I couldn’t get to them easily. But Princess Tigra was still able to find a clue. Then I sent her running straight for the major relic.

While Tigra was looking for the major relic, Miniczech’s Cap’n was being chased by Sahari. They had a cool fight, leaping across rooftops and down buildings. Miniczech’s sidekick, Qolot, also found a clue and went after Tigra who had now found the stolen relic. Qolot is a really good shooter but Tigra’s cat like reflexes helped her again.

Brother Sky tried to help defend Tigra, while Rock climbed a building and knocked out Doc Kow in a brutal rooftop brawl. Jeannie Mae kept shooting at the Cap’n from the top of another building. By the end of the seventh round I still held the stolen relic and earned a victory. Miniczech was a tough opponent and also picked up two minor rewards.

The next match was against Jebus and Bubbaczech. Here is a funny picture of them in their pre-game posing.  ;D  Their match was really close all the way to the end, with Bubbaczech finally winning with his league of Swedes.

I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as it was to play!  :D
-Wolf Girl out
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:39:18 PM by Wolf Girl »

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
Re: Pulp Gaming
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 01:27:25 AM »
It's nice to see people having fun with their hobby.

Your gang looks pretty tough and the miniatures are beautifully painted.

Now we can see all that buildings and walls you and your dad have been building together, and they are just GREAT!

The rules you're using are Pulp Alley? Can you give us more information, please?

Thanks for sharing.

Best wishes.
I know you're too old to play with toy soldiers. So give them to me... NOW!

Offline Wallyocerous

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 02:32:33 AM »
Looks like an awesome game!  Thanks for sharing!   :D

Offline Chuckaroobob

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:11:54 AM »
Nice looking minis and game!  And only a few people got knocked out, right?
They call me "Point Cow"

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 10:59:22 AM »
Fantastic, keep it coming. I hope to lure both my girls (now 3 and almost 7) into gaming along the way, so we can also have sessions with family and friends.  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Major Payne

• Bookworm
    • Paynes Landing
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 04:44:03 PM »
I loved your post! Nothing better than bashing your friends miniatures.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:07:37 AM by Major Payne »

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 08:04:49 PM »
Pulp Alley really is a nifty game. Mr. Phipps is no new-comer to writing a set of rules & that shows in the play-test materials for this gem.
Pulp Alley features neat mechanics that really keep the game clicking along at a merry pace regardless of the number of players. The game delivers; there is no mistaking the pulp character of the action or the scenarios.

A different sort of game & one worth exploring.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 09:28:43 PM »
Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 09:47:47 PM »
Excellent work, I love the little touches of Americana in your home.

The game looked like a lot of fun and the miniatures look nicely painted.  :)

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 10:38:08 PM »
Thanks for all the comments!

Last night we played a scenario called Escape and another called Skirmish over at Zach's. Zach and Eric played the first scenario. Eric and his Foreign Legion had to stop Zach from escaping with an ancient artifact.

Zach started out placing his guys around the temple and Red Right Hand starting in contact with the artifact. Eric’s guys were placed in and around the village in the center of the table. Zach’s leader came down the temple and behind the heads impaled upon sticks and began shooting at Blue. Blue stood his ground and shot back at Dr. Phlebo.  Red Right Hand steals the native artifact and begins running across the board towards the exit point.

In the next turn, Algernon tries to engage Red Right Hand in a brawl as he continues to run across the board, but Red avoids the attack and keeps running. Phlebo runs around a rock for cover and starts shooting at Algernon. A red cultist with a machinegun runs around a hut and tries to gun down Renard. Returning fire, Renard is injured but takes out he Tommy gun cultist.

As Red Right Hand runs across the board yet again he is intercepted by Turk. Turk goes down and Red Right Hand is still not damaged. Algernon, Blue, and Renard run across the board in hopes to stop Red Right Hand. Phlebo follows, trying to thwart them.
Luckily, Algernon was able to stun Red Right Hand, stopping him from moving for a turn. Blue is cut down from behind by the dastardly Dr. Phlebo. Algernon and Renard finally catch Red Right Hand and engage him in a brawl. Red Right Hand gets rocked but is able to disengage from the legionnaires.

On the last turn, Eric controlled the Initiative and decides to let Zach go first. Zach immediately tries to run Red Right Hand off the exit but Algernon quickly trips him up. Red Right Hand falls about 2” away from the exit point!!! The game ends in a tie. It was a really fun and very close game at the end.

In the scenario Skirmish, it was every man (or girl) for themselves. Me, Eric, and Zach against each other. lol

Zach started out in control of the temple. I had the sparse trees and huts. Eric had the bushes and part of the temple. In the first round Eric stormed the temple while Zach tried to hold his ground. I ran Jeannie Mae up behind a log for cover and shot at the legionaries at the edge of the jungle. Tigra ran after Phlebo and engaged him in a brawl. Sahari joined the fight, biting and clawing at Dr. Phlebo. Phlebo managed to avoid injury and even escaped from Tigra and Sahari. Then Brother Rock ran over and rocked Phlebo.

On the other side of the table Algernon’s legionaries kept trying to take down Jeannie Mae. Luckily she was able to hold her ground and took out 3 of Eric’s guys. During this Eric tried to gain control over the temple but the red cultists fought back hard.

Meanwhile Red Right Hand came to the rescue of his master. He took out Brother Rock and bought enough time for Dr. Phlebo to flee but was no match for Tigra and Sahari. Phlebo runs for cover behind a hut leaving Red behind to fend for himself.

By this time Eric has gained control of the temple and is now going after Phlebo as well. Phlebo is surrounded and taken out and Eric wins the game. I hope you enjoyed reading about another exciting game.

-Wolf Girl out :)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Re: Pulp Gaming with more pics
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 11:16:28 PM »
You write better than many of my community college students.

Offline magokiron

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 04:45:27 AM »
WOW!

As always, gorgeous battlefields with PRETTY scenery, near-master-level painted miniatures, and GREAT reports.

Seems like you are all having a lot of fun.

Thanks for sharing the fun with us WolfGirl.

Please keep coming this truly INSPIRATIONAL threads.

Best wishes.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 06:07:12 AM »
As always, gorgeous battlefields with PRETTY scenery, near-master-level painted miniatures, and GREAT reports.

Excellent, in-character hats, too. I approve, and am envious. I own not one suitably pulpy hat, and intend to correct this as soon as I have actual cash flow again!

That tiger - I know I've admired it before, but it's awesome. Actual tiger stripes, done very, very well.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 08:04:43 AM »
Where can one get those rules you use, please?

Offline Andy0476

• Scientist
    • Creepy Corridor
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
Can't really say what was more amusing, reading your excellent report or drooling over the pictures  lol
Top stuff!
25-28mm Pulp / 40K / Babylon 5 : ACTA / Full Thrust / Boardgames / 28mm WWII / Mordheim