Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:04:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 749
Total: 755

Recent

Author Topic: What fantasty systems do people enjoy playing?  (Read 12064 times)

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
Re: What fantasty systems do people enjoy playing?
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2008, 11:40:01 PM »
I play Hordes of the Things, because it is a universal system in a humorous way, and you can field any force you can imagine in simple fast games.

Me too. It's great fun putting together various armies and at a reasonable cost. And the emphsis is firmly on enjoying the game rather than winning it.
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline UncleRhino

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2008, 01:45:50 AM »
I can say no more than this until you all get your books for Broadsword Adventures.

WOW!

Hell, I playtested for it and I know what to expect, and I am five different colors of excited.  Do not let Rich be humble at all, it is just that damn good. 

RWF

Offline sureshaker

• Student
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2008, 02:51:02 AM »
  Our group just started playing Song of Blades and Heroes. Easy to learn and fun to play.  We're trying to blend it with Pig Wars, should be interesting.

Offline Swampfox

• Assistant
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2008, 04:47:42 AM »
Warmaster since the beginning. Love the game.

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2008, 06:53:08 AM »
Mostly the GW Lotr wargame.  Although I also did a brief and fun adaptation of the Supersystem rules for Fantasy wargaming.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Sir Barnaby Hammond-Rye

• Mastermind
    • The Tekumel Project
Re: What fantasy systems do people enjoy playing?
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2008, 03:09:17 PM »
For large battles I really like Warrior Heroes by Two Hour Wargames. That, or Battlelore/Command & Colours.

For Skirmish games we use Rattrap's pulp system, using the Fantastic Worlds supplement as starting point. In addition to our existing Retro-Sci/fi campaign we are just starting a D&D style campaign set in the Wilderlands of High Fantasy.

I've converted D&D's classes to FW archetypes and am impatiently waiting on BA to see its Archetypes. In my conversion, Rank 1 = level 1, Rank 2 = level 5 and Rank 3 = level 10. I envision Rank 4 = level 15 and Rank 5 = level 20 but am interested to see how Richard is handling above rank 3.

Magic will be D&D magic, modified to fit.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2008, 03:17:54 PM »
Currently the only Fantasy game getting played amongst my group is Warmachine/Hordes. It has it's own little issues but we're enjoying it.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2010, 11:33:01 AM »
I use Armies of Arcana. The flexibility of the points system means you can tailor it to any mini you have and still have a balanced game at the end. I have recently used fantasy figures I've had since the 1970's and 80's alongside scratchbuilt ones, historicals and new fantasy figures very effectively. The system also allows for far more tactical play. The designer also developed a low magic variant for LOTR and a basic siege set which is being developed further. I tried WFB but it fell far short of my expectations being far too quirky and characters over powerful. I flirted with HOTT for a bit since I'd played DB* games and enjoyed the speed of the system but they seemed far too generic for me and too similar to historical games. I personally like the periods I game to have a different flavour to them and the bucket loads of dice approach appeals...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains