Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:18:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Long grass material  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Long grass material
« on: April 29, 2010, 06:29:06 PM »
I got some useful stuff today on a visit to Homebase - yes, even more useful than masonry nails, exterior wood stain and bags of cement  :o  lol

It's called "Flexiliner", sold as a substitute moss for hanging baskets etc. It appears to be made from sisal string compressed into a thin mat and comes in a pleasing greenish-sandy colour. It is quite messy, with bits of string immediately ending up on my fleece on  opening the bag, but appears to have lots of potential. I'll try giving it once-over with a hand-held vacuum cleaner to try and get all the loose bits off it.

I wanted an easy way to represent long grass as found in many parts of Africa, but also needed to have figures move freely through it without doing balancing acts on bits of doormat etc. It also needed to have a different texture to the usual sandy soil I favour, to give a quick and easy distinction between different terrain types. I intend to cut it into irregular shapes, which can be used separately or in larger areas.

This stuff comes in a rolled up sheet 1.5m x 0.6m and costs about a fiver. Here's a quick preview:

Sorry the pic is a bit blurred, but hopefully you get my drift and someone else finds it useful ::)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Long grass material
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:16:33 PM »
looks darned useful.  Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:36:53 PM by Ignatieff »
"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Agent Brown

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 08:32:58 AM »
Teddy bear fur. Dirt cheap off Ebay or craft shops. I just stick some to a 1' square floor tile (self adhesive kind so no messy gluing) and cut out random bits. I'll try and add some pics today. Quickest scatter terrain I've ever done. Just fluff it up a bit before a game. You can also take hair clippers to it for a more uniform look for fields etc.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 08:49:10 AM »
Teddy bear fur. Dirt cheap off Ebay or craft shops. I just stick some to a 1' square floor tile (self adhesive kind so no messy gluing) and cut out random bits. I'll try and add some pics today. Quickest scatter terrain I've ever done. Just fluff it up a bit before a game. You can also take hair clippers to it for a more uniform look for fields etc.

I feel for the poor teddy bears though. All these animals skinned and their carcasses left to rot jut to satisfy the erratic and superficial needs of terrain makers.

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 09:05:10 AM »
All these animals skinned and their carcasses left to rot jut to satisfy the erratic and superficial needs of terrain makers.

There used to be millions of teddy bears thundering in their amiable and meandering way across the Serengeti, the American West and the Simpson Desert. All gone now, tragically. Just stuffing forming ghastly snow-white tumbleweeds and piles of beady glassy-eyed ....er.... glass-bead eyes.

Their removal from the habitat allowed the rise of feral species such as the Barbieken, the Pokemon and the vile Transformer.

I hope you're proud of yourself, bear-skinner....
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 09:16:33 AM »
I never heard such rot.

The Teddy Bear was an introduced species that, having no natural predators, ran riot over these habitats and threatened the extinction of the native fauna such as the Rag Doll, Golliwog and Rocking Horse. They belong in their native habitat of American play-rooms, nurseries and pine forests; and should have stayed there.

So you are actually helping to fix the environment by using them for gaming.  It's cruel, but it has to be done.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:18:32 AM »
you heartless swines....

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 09:24:34 AM »
 lol
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Agent Brown

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 10:46:51 AM »
Judging by my two daughters' toy boxes teddy bears are in no danger of dying out. Life in luxurious captivity (tea parties and buns) must beat extinction. Having said that, I can't wait for the day my daughters to get sick of them. It'll save me going on Ebay again. 
And it beats guinea pig fur. You need about five of the little buggers for a decent field. Bwahahahaha!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 10:49:49 AM by Agent Brown »

Offline Agent Brown

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 01:16:57 PM »
And here are a couple of pics, one with 15s, one with 28s.
http://agentbrown.pbworks.com/Scenery#view=edit
I love the stuff.
Note that this just an offcut and hasn't been altered in any way. You could cut it shorter if desired. Bounces back up after hving figures on it and can be stored flat with out damage. Just give it a bit of a stroke before each game. It's quite therapeutic.
And apologies to Gluteus Maximus for hijacking his thread with inane teddy bear chat.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:25:15 PM by Agent Brown »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 02:27:31 PM »

There was a game at Triples - 15mm Eastern Front WW2 -where the whole table was teddy bear fur with green staining randomly applied. Looked fantastic, but I don't know how well 28mm figures would stand up in it

Might be an idea to use the fur as long grass and the other stuff as more open terrain  :?

Either way, as long as more teddy bears are harmed in the process, all's well  lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 02:31:15 PM »
And here are a couple of pics, one with 15s, one with 28s.
http://agentbrown.pbworks.com/Scenery#view=edit
I love the stuff.

That'd be the hamster fur then?

Offline huevans

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 12:26:38 AM »
Judging by my two daughters' toy boxes teddy bears are in no danger of dying out. Life in luxurious captivity (tea parties and buns) must beat extinction. Having said that, I can't wait for the day my daughters to get sick of them. It'll save me going on Ebay again. 
And it beats guinea pig fur. You need about five of the little buggers for a decent field. Bwahahahaha!

Try terrier fur then. Far more coverage in one pelt. And the little blighters do a darn sight less yapping when they're skinned!

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 01:11:27 PM »
There was a game at Triples - 15mm Eastern Front WW2 -where the whole table was teddy bear fur with green staining randomly applied. Looked fantastic, but I don't know how well 28mm figures would stand up in it

Actually 28s stand up fine on long fur. The fellow who hosts our Sharp Practice games uses a lovely teddy skin rug for terrain. Mind you, all of our figures are proper metal ones. Plastic lads might tip over on it, but I plan to glue mine to steel washers to help out.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 01:17:07 PM »
Actually 28s stand up fine on long fur. The fellow who hosts our Sharp Practice games uses a lovely teddy skin rug for terrain. Mind you, all of our figures are proper metal ones. Plastic lads might tip over on it, but I plan to glue mine to steel washers to help out.

God abhors slottabases. They are things of wickedness.