Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 08:37:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694647
  • Total Topics: 118624
  • Online Today: 644
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shanghai Ultimatum  (Read 8933 times)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Shanghai Ultimatum
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 08:01:18 PM »
Meanwhile the DH10, hijacked by Bukharan pilots (! lol!!!) took to the skies......

"...and as always, we are dealing with strange forces far beyond our comprehension...."

All limitations are self imposed.  Work hard and dream big.

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 08:02:03 PM »
Time appeared to stand still at the table........

That's all Folks!!!

Online Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010, 08:11:50 PM »
I really love your minis and buildings. Can I just ask where the continental looking townhouse buildings are from?

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 08:14:33 PM »
I really love your minis and buildings. Can I just ask where the continental looking townhouse buildings are from?

Thanks!  Much appreciated.  Those buildings are done by the 'Rapid Fire' folks.  They used to sell them painted, but I think they dont any more.

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 08:19:02 PM »
The strangely pilotless Brandenburg surveyed the unfolding chaos below, whilst hard core Austrian stormtroopers held the vital Railway station.....(note to self, must get more Copplestone pilots)
I see a whole new scenario here "the Mystery of the Pilotless Plane" or "Ghost Fliers in the Sky"

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 08:29:25 PM »
The strangely pilotless Brandenburg surveyed the unfolding chaos below, whilst hard core Austrian stormtroopers held the vital Railway station.....(note to self, must get more Copplestone pilots)
I see a whole new scenario here "the Mystery of the Pilotless Plane" or "Ghost Fliers in the Sky"

Hmmmmmmm....I think you might be onto something there.....

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 02:08:59 PM »
Ah! How did I miss this?

Every time I see one of your games I feel the inadequacy of my own attempts. Fantastic, as always.

How do you manage so many separate players, forces and objectives? Are your rules specifically designed for these type of multi-player games?

Edit; Just noticed the interesting range of nations there - is that the Tibetian embassy next door to the American and Austrian ones?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:15:25 PM by answer_is_42 »
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 02:20:47 PM »
Thank you.  It aint rocket science.  The rules are card based and therefore flow v.quickly , even in big games.  Multiple players are also not an issue (I think from memory we had 12 in this one, including the Tibetans)  Each move took about an hour, which considering the lead, the objectives and the terrain, was pretty good.  They do have plenty of detail as well, so no shortage of excitement.  The one thing it does require is planning.  Many a late night and early morning on the train is taken up with planning these big games.  Small games are no bother whatsoever however. A bit of imagination also goes a long way it has to be said.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 02:23:27 PM »
Once again a nice game and a nice report, Ignatieff!

argsilverson

Offline abhorsen950

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 03:55:12 PM »
A stunning table accompanied by stunning miniatures.

Great work.
Steve

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2010, 02:40:39 PM »
Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but where did yo uget the circus tent?

Lovely table all the way 'round.  Looks like a magnificent game.
This is my boomstick!

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2010, 03:32:34 PM »
Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but where did yo uget the circus tent?

That's a funny story.  It was in our local toy shop, and the shopowner took great care to tell me how rare it was and how it was destined to become a collectors item and how I should keep it in its packaging, blah, blah, blah.....72 hours later, with a sand textured basing, spray job and bespoke decals on the front entrance. :D.....

It was made by Lledo, £24.  Tent is thin metal, perfect!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:16:52 PM by Ignatieff »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2010, 03:40:10 PM »
That's a funny story.  It was in our local toy shop, and the shopowner took great care to tell me how rare it was and how it was destined to become a collectors item and how I should keep it in its packakging, blah, blah, blah.....72 hours later, with a sand textured basing, spray job and bespoke decals on the front entrance. :D.....

It was made by Lledo, £24.  Tent is thin metal, perfect!

Lovely story. I relish desecrating 'collectors items'. :)

Offline Ignatieff

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2010, 11:12:14 PM »
I've ben asked to share a few more of the briefs.  So, by popular request, herewith that of the Beast of Bukhara, Adrian Enver Pasha himself....

The Slan Ties Ultimatum                                                                                 Bukharian  brief

You are Adrian Enver Pasha, Emir of Bukahra,  aka ‘The Beast’, state building phenomenon of the early 20th century, bulwark against Bolshevism and all round conqueror of Central Asia.
You are in Shanghai for the XXVth annual Shanghai arms fair, a poor affair in these post war times, mostly peddling second hand WWI equipment (Schneider tank with an 88mm hole in the side anyone?).
However Shanghai itself is a modern marvel, and one that has inspired you for the building of Novae Bukhara, your new capital, the precursor to a 1000 year dynasty!

Objective

Steal as much modern technology as you can lay your hands on.  In priority order:
1.   The crystal diodes from the radio station.  You want to start broadcasting speeches from The Great Leader to the illiterate but loyal masses!
2.   Canadian Pacific: world class railway technology!
3.   Mr. Ping’s Opium Den: recreational drugs for the masses!
4.   Shanghai Swingers Club: you’ve spent most of the arms fair week in here, and you want the franchise!!!
Double points will be awarded for being first in these locations.  You will also receive an additional unit for each of these taken, if you are first there
All other objectives are marked by a flagpole.  Every time you are the first man to take a position, you get to throw for additional units. Note that the ‘first man through’ is the only player who will gain an extra unit.  Double bonus points will be awarded for holding onto positions you take and hold at the end of the game (note you do not need to have a garrison, only be the last man through).

Forces Available

1 coy of Emirs Guard, 10  x T3 M3’s, stubborn with bombs.  1 LMG
1 X Putilov Garford A/C (new purchase from the Arms fair!)  T3 M3, 1 x field gun, 2 x LMG’s
1 coy of ‘Turkish officers’.  10 x T2 M2 ferocious, with bombs  1 LMG
Intelligence
Shanghai is a mess.  There are foreign troops everywhere, red infiltrators trying to forment revolution, degenerate local government which allows the Triads and rascals such as Harry Flashman to run roughshod over the rule of law.  Perfect conditions really for your plot!
The only one Bolshevik in the woodpile is a cable from BSS Central (Bukhara Secret Service) which alerts you to a plot in Shanghai against a major leader.....you have been warned!
STEVE LANGAN                           06/02/2010

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:14:52 PM by Ignatieff »

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2010, 12:22:58 AM »
Thanks.
Great stuff. Every time I look at the photos in this thread I spot something else.
Love the briefs too. Please keep them (and any more close-ups) coming.
Its all appreciated. Truly inspiring,  :).
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?