Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:37:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 860
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The actual Future Wars rulesystem ;)  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Darthvegeta800

• Schoolboy
The actual Future Wars rulesystem ;)
« on: May 01, 2010, 08:45:18 PM »
What's the opinion on this one from Rattrap Productions?

http://rattrapproductions.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=77

What kind of system is it? Any examples on the basic mechanics? How strong is the gameplay? How bogged down is it with needless rules?

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: The actual Future Wars rulesystem ;)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 04:09:13 AM »
I'm running a game of this on Tuesday night. I will post my comments on it after that.

I can tell you already that it is not bogged down with rules. Like most of Chris Peers's rulesets, it is designed for fast play.

Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: The actual Future Wars rulesystem ;)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 03:03:42 PM »
Okay, ran my first game of this last night. Of course I sell them so I am biased.

The game played out very well. We had 7 people playing and, though the game ran long because I was still learning the rules, everyone had a great time.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow but we had 6 human factions battling a Terminator (Necron) horde. Some of the things I really like about the rules:

1) Move system. Besides just alternating movement, their are 4 different types of move with implications for what you can do. It requires you to plan out your moving and shooting for maximum effect.

2) Pinning. Our regulars with assault rifles could not kill the terminators, but they could place multiple pins on them. That kept them from overwhelming the humans.

3) The Build System. Easy, simple, and with plenty of room for me to expand on it later. I put 7 factions together in about 15 miniutes.

Things I still need to work on figuring out:

1) Spotting. We often forgot it, but I need to understand the rules for it better as it is important to the game.

Some highlights from the game:

1) One of the human factions spending 3/4 of the game moving, popping out finally, using their rocket launcher on a terminator and killing it. Talk about economy of shots! My group fired about 16 times and had 2 kills and no pins.

2) A Regular unit charging a terminator and taking him down in hand to hand combat. We're pretty sure they snuck wire-cutters onto the field.

3) The last turn when one hero, tired of shooting at terminators, opened up on a human unit in front of him (I then used my sniper to put a bullet in his head). :)

We'll definitely be playing another game soon. Everyone liked that they could pull out whatever figures they wanted and use them to play quickly.